Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 5:52:03 PM EDT
Got pulled over today coming back from the range just south of the town of Sullivan.  I was pulled over by a Jefferson county sheriff and did receive a citation.  Anyone ever go to court in Jefferson county? Did they drop the points or lower the fine?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Before Happ was DA, office policy was to offer a reduction in points or fine for a plea.

I'd attend the initial court hearing
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What range is near Sullivan?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Its near Watertown.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I will definitely be going to the hearing.  Just wanted to know what others have experienced.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been there a few times

I haven't had a ticket in 9 years (knock on wood) but they would typically lower the points and raise the money a little bit iirc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on what happened to my 24 year old son recently I'd say pay the ticket and move on, going to court will get you nothing.

My son works in Oconomowoc, and lives near Fort Atkinson. Had a clean driving record (before this).

He carpools with another co-worker.

A couple of months ago they decided to try an alternate route home.
Neither one of them had driven the road before.
Both of them missed seeing the 40mph speed  limit sign. (rural country road they assumed speed limit was 55mph same as the road they turned off of.)
Female Jefferson Co. Deputy pulled him over
asked the usual questions, where are you going, etc...

He explained, home from work, hadn't driven this road before, thought it was 55mph.

None of it mattered she wrote him for 60mph in a 40mph zone. $225 and 6 points.

He burned a day of vacation to go to court hoping to at least get the points reduced.

Explained everything to the judge.

Judge didn't care, full fine and 6 points.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm. Seems a lot like my case. I have never driven on the road I was on. It was very rural (county rd e) and I could see the 55 mph sign.  Officer was on a harley and pulled out behind me with lights.  I immediately stopped and grabbed proof of ins, dl, and my ccw.  Cop asked how fast I was going, I said I didn't know. He told me I was doing 43 in a 25 and the speed doesn't increase to 55 until I hit the sign. He asked for my license, then asked if I was carrying and where the firearm was.  Came back 10 minutes later with a citation for $200.50 and 4 points.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't remember the road my son was driving on but it was in the same area (near Sullivan) you were driving and yes it is very rural area mostly farms.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You were speeding and got caught, man up and just pay the fine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Was just gonna say don't speed but. I got a better idea, buy a valentine one radar detector. Worth every freaking penny!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes I was speeding and yes I did get caught. Like I said in the OP I wasn't familiar with the area and by looking @ my surroundings i wouldnt have guessed that the speed limit was 25.  I just wanted to know if people had any luck going to court to get the points lowered or dropped.  The fine is hefty but yes i was speeding and it will get paid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
As a frame of reference, OP, reelman would have told Jefferson et. al. to just pay the fucking rum tax.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
When my spouse was pulled over (speeding) this year, she went to court because my insurance agent said to.

He said they will offer a city ordinance like wreckless endangerment that will not show up on her driving record and negatively affect her premium.

You can see her ordinance violation on CCAP but it did not affect our insurance.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
dont speed, or know the speed limit signs...it sucks but you got caught

its always good to show up to your court date...you never know what the judge may do!  dodge county reduced my points on my speeding ticket

the range is in eagle and it is called McMillers
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the massive insurance hike if he does not go and plea down the charge to a non moving violation?
yeah, great idea.
its not like he was driving drunk and speeding. everyone speeds. freeway speed limits are ridiculously low in wisconsin for the sole reason of revenue generation.
i miss colorado's 75MPH limits
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

its always good to show up to your court date...you never know what the judge may do!  dodge county reduced my points on my speeding ticket

View Quote

No, the range was not McMiller in Eagle.  But thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
"Pay the Ticket"?

You all really think this is a fair process and the fines etc are keeping us safer?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally I don't really care, he admittedly had no idea what his speed was, but I'd counter it in court in this particular case because honestly, he barely did a thing.

It's the assholes doing 75 in a 30 that need to fuck off and take responsibility for their actions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...Anyone ever go to court in Jefferson county? Did they drop the points or lower the fine?
View Quote

It appears your best course of action is to sexually molest a child and then buy a house from the DA on a land contract.  This seems to result in spiking the case so you can go free...  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Well just a quick update.  Had my pre-trial hearing today.  It was packed full of people so the assistant DA needed assistance.  Who walks in to help him, Susan Happ , I just knew she was going to be the one that I would have to deal with, sure enough, she calls my name.  She did end up dropping the fine by $35 and dropped the points from 4 to 3.  I'm still not voting for her.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hmmm. Seems a lot like my case. I have never driven on the road I was on. It was very rural (county rd e) and I could see the 55 mph sign.  Officer was on a harley and pulled out behind me with lights.  I immediately stopped and grabbed proof of ins, dl, and my ccw.  Cop asked how fast I was going, I said I didn't know. He told me I was doing 43 in a 25 and the speed doesn't increase to 55 until I hit the sign. He asked for my license, then asked if I was carrying and where the firearm was.  Came back 10 minutes later with a citation for $200.50 and 4 points.
View Quote

Havent seen nothing until you get pulled over for SOMEONE else speeding by a township of Beloit cop who cant tell the difference between a black Dakota and a black s10. Going 40-42 in a 40 (on cruise) and seen a truck coming up behind me. Moved over into the right lane and he zipped by at about 50-55. Cop sitting in a drive way with radar out the window. Seen him pull it in and just giggled that the s10 was gonna get it. Nope the goofball pulled ME over for 50 in a 40. $75/no points (municipal tickets I'm pretty sure) and forget going to the township "court" over it. They have their own judge and its all about $$$$. Cop pretty much only said 5 words to me the whole stop. License please, sign here, bye.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Pay the Ticket"?

You all really think this is a fair process and the fines etc are keeping us safer?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Pay the Ticket"?

http://www.sott.net/image/s1/21421/full/precrime.gif

LOL

V
OUT
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I'll play.  Milford Hills......

What do I win?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Ooooh, it must have been Oconomowoc Sportsmans. I did not know it was right north of Sullivan.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
I thought they can't ask that? I'm I wrong?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure they can ask you anything they want. You have no obligation to answer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top