Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:29 PM EDT
I've mentioned about having come sort of informal welding instruction before, but I now have a need to weld or have welded a bracket to one of our trucks. It shouldn't be difficult for anyone who has even a simple knowledge of welding. I have a 220V Miller MIG welder here, and a oxy/acetylene torch too. Is there anyone who would be interested in coming down to the shop on Saturday for a couple of hours to both teach and to learn how to use this equipment? Anyone here that knows how to weld that would want to go over the basics? Maybe we can order some pizzas and of course, you can drink all the soda you want too. Our shop is on the North side of Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You prolly should have left the last part out you'll have every arfcomer in the county show up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a welder. 15 years experience MIG and Flux-core.
I could show you the basics and then some.
What wire and gas are you running?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Finally it's coming together!  Winner winner, welding dinner!

I'm in on the cost of sending the qualified instructor home with a case or three.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
What time would you be thinking for this?  I'd love to learn a bit but would need to change work schedule.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
GAH! I'm indisposed that day.

AAR or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Now I live too far away but part of my new job is I get to cross train on Mig, Tig and running the lathes and CNC's.

Maybe at some point in the future you can sponsor a North woods 80% party, we will pay full price of course for the Dang.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
What time are you thinking I'd be game around noonish

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What time are you thinking I'd be game around noonish

View Quote

Noon would work OK for me. What do others say. I'll get more specifics of what equipment I have and post them later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the equipment that I have:

Millermatic 175.
-75/25 Argon/CO2 gas
-Not sure of the wire that's currently on it now, but it's copper coated. I have the following three rolls also.
- ER208L , 0.035" dia. Harris Welco PN# 038LF2
-ER70S-6 , 0.024" dia. Hobart PN# HB-28
-ER70S6, 0.035 dia. Thyssen

I also have an arc welder that hasn't been used for years but should still work, I may have to change the plug on it to fit our receptacle.

Marquette Mod 10-133 ARC. 230V 200 Amp.
- I have no welding rods or consumables needed to use this.

I also have an oxy/acetylene setup which I only use for brazing. I have no welding rod and only silver solder.

Maybe someone familiar with this can elaborate some more on what can be done with it. I don't have any extra welding goggles or helmets so you'll have to bring your own.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't make it due to the hours, but Chris should square you guys up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Evening would be best for me, but I would just be a freeloader anyway so it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll see if the boss lady will let me come out and play.
Send me an email through the board with your shop address.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Finally it's coming together!  Winner winner, welding dinner!

I'm in on the cost of sending the qualified instructor home with a case or three.  

View Quote

A case or 3 of what?
7n6?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm assuming you mean 308L stainless?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
As long as nothing comes up I plan on coming and I'll bring my auto dark helmet and welding jacket

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Dammit, I'm out of town that weekend!  Still a skill I would love to learn.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you mean 308L stainless?
View Quote

Yes, that was 308L, my mistake.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Are there any definite "yes's" yet? I need at least one person to attend that knows enough about welding to teach or instruct the others.
I'd be open to moving it to the next Saturday, May 10th if that would work out better and get more people to attend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
John post in the other whtf too I rarely check here anymore

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there any definite "yes's" yet? I need at least one person to attend that knows enough about welding to teach or instruct the others.
I'd be open to moving it to the next Saturday, May 10th if that would work out better and get more people to attend.
View Quote

Next Saturday is the 3rd.
That day would be perfect for me.
I would have time to prep and print off some handouts.
Sounds like a few guys that want to attend this Saturday, can't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just threw out the 10th to see if that may help in getting more people to show up. Since nobody really has committed to either date, would it still be worth your while to show up if there were only 2 or 3 of us?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm down if you are for the 3rd.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's fine. Right now there is one other person confirmed, so as it stands right now, there's just 2 of us and you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Would like to learn. But just found out out of state relation(brother+wife, nephews, niece) will be making appearance that weekend. Will have to find out their plans before I can commit to anything.
Sometimes family more pita than work.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's fine. Right now there is one other person confirmed, so as it stands right now, there's just 2 of us and you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's the other confirmed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I should be able to snag some 304L stainless bar stock from work.
Also A36 cold rolled steel.
There is also time now for me to actually prep a somewhat structured lesson.
I will also bring print handouts from a welding manual.

I can be there all day next Saturday, so if you've ever wanted to learn MIG welding, it should be a good opportunity.
Provided I don't mess it up...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd love to come out and join you guys to demonstrate some of what I know about structural and agricultural steel fabrication, but it's just too long a trip for me at this time.
Too much going on with family.

However, if anyone in or near Sauk County wants a couple hours (?) of  basic instruction at my place some evening  (home garage), I'll offer that, and this thread's probably as good a place to post it as any.

(And if you can bring along some DANG! I'll even share a few "trade secrets"!)
Never had a chance to try it.

PM me if you're interested!

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm game as well as my buddy Tony12steps.I have a welder, taken some classes and stuck afew things together but always up for more skill training. Kronik i may take you up on your offer, i have a 67 Chrysler convertible that needs some frame repair and the best method to make a structurally sound repair as well as inverted welding is something I could really use some help with.
My Baby
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm interested in going.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm interested in going.
View Quote

At least three of us will be there.

Unless something gets in the way on the Root Beer Don's end, this is going to happen.
So everyone posting that says they want to come, or interested in coming...
What's stopping you?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Unless something gets in the way on the Root Beer Don's end, this is going to happen.
What's stopping you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm interested in going.

What's stopping you?

Yes, it's still on for noon on May 3rd., so for those of you attending just say so or post a "yes' so we can get a count.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes +1

Need any steel for practice? I have a quantity of 10 gauge 3x3 tubing and a metal cutting bandsaw to chop it up with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes +1

Need any steel for practice? I have a quantity of 10 gauge 3x3 tubing and a metal cutting bandsaw to chop it up with.
View Quote

I'll let polymorpheous answer that, he'll be running the show.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#36]
So it looks like as of now there will be 4 of us in addition to polymorpheous.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Should be a yes unless I get weld blocked!

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to see if I can't score some 1/4" A36 and 1/4" 304L from the scrap at work.

My understanding of that  Millermatic 175 is that it runs best pretty much opened up.
Right now it is set up for short arc.
I suspect that 1/4" is max for this machine.

Regardless, I will have plenty of information about transfer processes, shielding gases, etc.
If you have a little wire feed welder sitting in your garage, this should be a great opportunity to learn how to utilize it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes +1

View Quote

The more practice material the better.

Perhaps everyone attending, myself included, can pitch in a few bucks to help John buy a new spool of wire.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some 16 ga and 18ga in I believe 316 ss that I could cut up. Would that work with the 308l wire?

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Perhaps everyone attending, myself included, can pitch in a few bucks to help John buy a new spool of wire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes +1

All the wire spools that I mentioned in a previous post are new, full reels (4 inch?). Don't worry about having to pay me for it, that wire really isn't expensive, is it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have some 16 ga and 18ga in I believe 316 ss that I could cut up. Would that work with the 308l wire?

View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All the wire spools that I mentioned in a previous post are new, full reels (4 inch?). Don't worry about having to pay me for it, that wire really isn't expensive, is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes +1

10# spool of .035" ER70S6 is about $35.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I might be bring my dad so mark me down as +1

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm game as well as my buddy Tony12steps.I have a welder, taken some classes and stuck afew things together but always up for more skill training. Kronik i may take you up on your offer, i have a 67 Chrysler convertible that needs some frame repair and the best method to make a structurally sound repair as well as inverted welding is something I could really use some help with.
My Baby
<a href="http://s177.photobucket.com/user/madbodhi/media/021_zps900b3ad1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/madbodhi/021_zps900b3ad1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Inverted?
As in upside down/ possum-like inverted?
Sorry-you're on your own there.
( I try to avoid overhead welding, and since the shop where I work has 2 five-ton and 2  ten-ton capacity Demag hoists, I can roll pretty much ANYTHING over on its belly and weld it flat, as God intended stuff to be welded!)

Actually, I do a fair amount of vertical-up, and some light gauge vertical-down (non-structural) "seal" welding work, but I don't consider myself good enough to teach it.
I'd be happy to demonstrate how I do it, and you can build from there if you wish.

Try to PM me if you want to get together. I think I've missed a few PM's recently; somebody else in the WI HomeTown Forums has had problems too, but hopefully it's been fixed.
I'll check back here occasionally.

Sing out if you've PM-ed me and not gotten a reply within a couple days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#46]
It looks like we're at 7 or 8 right now.

Our address:
Imperial Flavors
6300 W Douglas Ave.
Milwaukee 53218

It's between Silver Spring Dr. and Mill Road. You can access it from 60th St. or 64th St.
Please be there at 12 noon. IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#47]
My old stomping grounds!
I grew up in the neighborhood.

I'll show up early to get the machine set up.
So far no luck on the scrap at work.
It's all thicker material.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My old stomping grounds!
I grew up in the neighborhood.

I'll show up early to get the machine set up.
So far no luck on the scrap at work.
It's all thicker material.
View Quote

I'll be there around 11. So do we need someone who has some scrap metal to practice on? I have more than enough of those stainless steel 5 gallon beverage tanks that are damaged and can be used for scrap. Is any of that wire I listed compatible with that? I don't know what type of stainless they are made of. I do have an actual welding project that has to be done. Welding a U shaped bracket to the lift gate of one of our trucks. I'll leave that for you....in exchange for root beer of course.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a length of 1.5 X 0.065 square tube I got cheap at speedy Metals I bought it mostly for practice anyway so I'll bring that along with my Porta band if you'd like.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I finally got some 1/4" cold rolled A36 and a little bit of 304L.

Guys, if you are bringing material, try and have it prepped before hand.
Grind off any mill scale. Make sure it's free of rust, dirt, oil, etc. Cut to lengths of approximately 6-8".
This will save us a great deal of time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top