Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 2:12:55 PM EDT
I hate having to chose. so I need help so I thought I would ask you guys and gals. As you know money can be tight and you have to get the most out of it and i guess thats why im on the fence. If you had around 200 bucks to spend and you had to chose from picking up a set of Sparton plates(AR500) from THE TARGET MAN. or the lantac dragon comp and ammo, or just ammo what would you go with.

also any one on here run ar500 plates from THE TARGET MAN?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo is the only thing of those choices which a lack of will prevent you from shooting.  Since ammo is one of those choices, you obviously feel that you are lacking sufficient reserves.  Ammo is the obvious choice..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have about a 800 rounds in reserve pluss whats currently in my 12 pmags. the only reason I have the armor in mind is I want to start running drills with fellow like minded people as well as if ever  SHTF. and well the Dragon comp is well just awesome. but i see your point.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have about a 800 rounds in reserve pluss whats currently in my 12 pmags. the only reason I have the armor in mind is I want to start running drills with fellow like minded people as well as if ever  SHTF. and well the Dragon comp is well just awesome. but i see your point.
View Quote

A good class can easily cost you 500-600+ rounds in a weekend or 250-350 for the one day classes.  800 rounds is not much of a reserve.  Forget about the armor and get to some classes...    

http://www.inextremisconsulting.com/#!calendar-/c5l8
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
did not even know there was options in state. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, the steel armor is false economy.  Check out DocGKRs posts (all over the internet).  For a little more money, you can get something that will perform much better and actually be wearable for long periods of time.  No one thinks they care about a few pounds until they hump it around all day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated earlier 800 rounds can be pissed away in a day or two with practice. Don't feel bad, I have significantly lower than 800 rounds in stock at any one time
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I wore a set (front and rear) of the AR500 armor plates in a Banshee plate carrier for a 2 day class.
I never felt sluggish or worn out from wearing them all day both days.  But then again I am kind of a badass.

Either way a good stash of ammo is more important.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
800 rounds on hand? That's a "starter kit". Buy Ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If money is tight, put the two bills in the bank in case something really comes up for emergencies.  Seriously, I know that is not FUN, but just a thought.

Second thought, think about a 22 rimfire conversion kit by someone like CMMG, a ready mag/better mag by Bonnie packer and some S&W 22 rimfire mags.  Once you actually find ammo, the cost difference to run drills will pay for the CMMG kit etc and you can do the manipulations at a very reasonable costs.  Get a good Magpul DVD and go train the manipulations.  Sure you have to shoot some real ammo through the thing once in a while, but the cost savings are just huge.

Sorry for the twist on your thread, something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Ammo x1000000000.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You are short 38 mags.  I only buy when stuff is a deal.  Right now there are deals to be had on mags.

Then again I put enough 22 ammo away 20 years ago that the .22lr shortage does not cross my mind much.  I am using that to make a point, of all the things that have vaporized more than once in the past twenty years it is mags.  I have sold plenty of $10-$15 mags for $100-$130 each.  40 year old Colt mags for a nice profit.  Every time I sold a mag for 3x to 10x, I later turned around and used that money to buy multiple new mags to replace that one mag.  I will not die due to a lack of mags.   It is hard to imagine not owning at least 3x mags needed per shooter, per platform.  Range/Practice/Training mags, go mags, backup mags.  You decide what number works for you then go x3.  Just how I roll.

I have not bought any new ammo in 3 or 4 years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top