Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2014 12:30:18 PM EDT
I cannot find a single neckbeard's ad for .22lr for sale, but there still is never any available anywhere.... sells out within minutes of being put online at a retailer like Cabelas, or on the shelves at Walmarts & Fleet Farms, etc. The only reports of any stocked anywhere in numbers is at Cabelas & Gander Mountain stores... which means little if you don't live near one, because that sells out in hours too.  

If the neckbeards are scalping it, where? Not that I'd buy any from them, but out of curiosity I looked around to see what, and the price, was to be found and come up totally empty. Armslist, Craigslist, local newspapers, bulletin boards. I'm beginning to think it's hoarders and not re-sellers causing the continual shortage, because I can not find a single reseller without hitting a gun show.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Facebook buy/sell/barter groups and gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=.22+ammo&State=WI
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The GF had to go to Eau Claire a few weeks ago on business and I asked her to swing by Scheels one evening after her meetings to get something AND while there ask about .22lr ammo.  Still same old story, he told her don't waste your time going to Walmart.  The weekly truck delivery had already been there by now and the ammo would certainly all be gone.

I am going to need to find some by end of summer or I may experience some anxiety.  I thought I found a honey hole the other day but I was wrong.  I intend to watch that spot closely every time I drive through that town.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
This is fairly handy to watch to keep an eye on what places have ammo, for what price, and how long it lasts.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

There are other sites like that one too, which might be better, or worse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's showing up.  There were a couple 1440 buckets at my local Fleet Farm and the Madison GM had a pallet or 500 round Remingtons and they still had some left at 6PM even though they went on sale at 8AM.  Both places had normal pricing on them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Facebook buy/sell/barter groups and gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=.22+ammo&State=WI
View Quote

Well it isn't gunbroker, for my area. 21 ads on gunbroker now, vast majority are in Milwaukee or Lake Geneva. None are within hundreds of miles of the 3 Walmarts nearest me (Rhinelander, Minocqua, Antigo) and the closest Fleet Farm, which is also in Antigo. The employees at the Rhinelander & Minocqua Walmarts have told me that it sells out within 30 minutes in the early morning, after they stock the shelves overnight. Rhinelander store allegedly gets dozens of bricks, several times per week, shelves are stocked overnight, and it's sold out by 7:30 am. WTF? Gotta be locals hitting the stores at 7am! I'd think that the way it disappears instantly, there'd be a lot more than 21 ads , and be more spread out across the state. I'm still wondering where are the "northwoods neckbeards" selling it?

I don't do Facebook for various reasons, so I can't check there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I just looked on the FB site for buying and selling firearms in WI and some guy is trying to get $100 for a $60 bucket of cheap Remingtons!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
http://wisconsinsurplus.com/

Just check the results of the 41 Gun Auction... I can't hot link to the direct auction sorry.. you'll have to scroll and click for yourselves..

But prepare to....

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is fairly handy to watch to keep an eye on what places have ammo, for what price, and how long it lasts.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

There are other sites like that one too, which might be better, or worse.
View Quote

Ammo seek
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
There has been a guy bearding his neck on this page lately.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheGoodStuffSellBarterExchange/
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Between the wife and I we have had great luck finding 22 at local Walmarts. In fact last  week I walked in, nothing on the shelf, asked employee walking by. Low and behold they had 10 boxes of winchester 333. She asked how many I wanted as if I could buy all of it had I chosen too. I didn't have to get there at 6am. I just checked their website and stopped after work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I got really lucky a few months back and was able to snag 5 of the Federal 2100 cans from Cabelas. That shit went at the back of the room for a rainy day, I'm determined not to get caught with my pants down again. I had burned through a good portion of my .22 stock and just thought "oh whatever, it doesn't matter I can get more .22 anytime." Nice job, dumbass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just check the results of the 41 Gun Auction... I can't hot link to the direct auction sorry.. you'll have to scroll and click for yourselves..

But prepare to....

View Quote

Used to be able to get some sweet deals there last few years. Now I don't even bother checking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
$243 for two boxes of remington golden bullets?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been using brass badger, which is both an app and a website. It checks walmarts stocks.
While .22 has been in stock many times with this app, it's been more of a time/distance/effort thing. Not worth my time to drive to janesville from stoughton, for  225 count boxes for example, for example, unless there is something else I need to get or look at (Dunhams is close by, for example).
Right now, it's showing "low" stocks of 1000 round count boxes at sun prairie walmart for several hours now, but not worth my time to check it out if it's "low".
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!  I have some I could unload!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot to add on the 15% buyer's fee to that total.  I do not think the .22 shortage is going to end anytime soon when there are still morons out there willing to pay those prices.  Heck, if I knew someone who was willing to pay that much then I would sell them my whole stash!

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Two friends were at gander last week and they watched a couple guys almost get in a fist fight over .22 ammo.

What is the world coming too...  
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been using brass badger, which is both an app and a website. It checks walmarts stocks.
While .22 has been in stock many times with this app, it's been more of a time/distance/effort thing. Not worth my time to drive to janesville from stoughton, for  225 count boxes for example, for example, unless there is something else I need to get or look at (Dunhams is close by, for example).
Right now, it's showing "low" stocks of 1000 round count boxes at sun prairie walmart for several hours now, but not worth my time to check it out if it's "low".
View Quote

Googled brassbadger, found the website.... http://brassbadger.com/ but all I get is a tan colored header which says BrassBadger on right hand side, black horizontal border under that in which it says "Getting Started", and a dark grey blank page under that. It has said "Getting Started" since 7:00pm, now 7:22. WTF?

Is the site down, or possibly there is no ammo for sale in WI?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But prepare to....

View Quote

I haven't looked there in a long time. I still wonder if the people that pay that much for .22 even shoot it? I did laugh at the CAI FAL with the description of "Make: Unknown- Maybe a knock-off/Fake" and the note of "Poor- Very rusty, sand lodged into all parts, FIRING PIN REMOVED BUT INCLUDED, Bolt moves freely as does trigger, unknown functionality." Kinda makes me wonder the 'history' of that rifle. Perhaps one of the neckbeards bought it thinking it was a battlefield trophy?

Another place that .22lr shows up is here; http://www.lake-link.com/tradingpost/listitems.cfm/17/Guns
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Googled brassbadger, found the website.... http://brassbadger.com/ but all I get is a tan colored header which says BrassBadger on right hand side, black horizontal border under that in which it says "Getting Started", and a dark grey blank page under that. It has said "Getting Started" since 7:00pm, now 7:22. WTF?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using chrome on the PC, and it works fine for me. My tablet has the brass badger app.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Minocqua Walmart had 1000 pack Winchester 22 today.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Dad works at Scheels in Iowa City in the fun dept.  we chat about this every month or so.  They can't get very much .22lr and sure as hell can't keep any in stock.  Just too many people buying firearms and of course .22lr seems to be the most popular(read:cheapest).  And it's not like they get press releases from the manufacturers on production. It'd be a lot cooler if they did.
I have plenty of it to plink with, but very little of decent quality like stingers.  Really wish I woulda got a couple of those CCI .22 ammo cans at Wally World when they were like 90 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#23]
He is in your walmart buying your ammo...

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm using chrome on the PC, and it works fine for me. My tablet has the brass badger app.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I have no idea if we've got chrome or not... this is my wife's PC and she handles that stuff (I truly am a low-tech redneck with electronics , she's not much better). All I can tell you is I'm using "Google" to search from Internet Explorer (Windows XP), I can find the website with no issues there, but it just doesn't work for me. There's two symbols, upper left side, one has 3 horizontal lines, the other looks like a house. Clicking on the "3 lines" brings up some ammo selections on left side, but can't scroll down past .243. Clicking on the house symbol does absolutely nothing, as does clicking on an ammo choice.  

Don't have a tablet nor smart phone, so no apps for me.

edit to add: Thinking about it, it wouldn't be of much help to me anyway. Walmart in Rhinelander is 23 miles away, Minocqua about 26 (Antigo is 60). As fast as it sells out, if some did show up on that link, it'd be gone by the time I got there anyway. I get to Rhinelander about once a week, Minocqua maybe once a month. I always stop at the Walmarts when in town... I'll just have to get lucky.

The whole point of my posting this thread was to say that the shortages (in my area at least) are not neckbearders, but are from hoarders. Neckbeards would be reselling it locally, and all the links in this thread to diffrant adds (checked FB too, wife is registered) have not produced a single neckbeard's ad within 100 miles.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I scored 100 rounds 22LR near my cottage in Wabeno this weekend.

Pintsches True Value in Townsend.

First I have seen in that area.

None at the FF in Antigo over the weekend.  Not sure I have ever seen any there?

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I scored 100 rounds 22LR near my cottage in Wabeno this weekend.

Pintsches True Value in Townsend.

First I have seen in that area.

None at the FF in Antigo over the weekend.  Not sure I have ever seen any there?

Jeff
View Quote

They keep it out of sight (along with primers), you have to ask a clerk for it.... one per customer per day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Jeff
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I scored 2 1000rd boxes of Winchester M22 at the Beaver Dam Walmart this weekend. It's the first time I've seen 22 there since about October, so if figured I better grab it while I had the chance.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I was in the Walmart in Lake Hallie last weekend. No .22 in stock. They had some clearance fishing stuff about 5 feet away from the counter. The Walmart Pharmacy lady comes to the counter (I assume she was on break) and starts chatting with the guy behind the ammo counter. "Okay, here's the 4 boxes I saved for you." Pulls out 4 bricks of Winchester and she proceeds to use her ID and get her employee discount. The she tells him to "save her some more for next week on payday."

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was in the Walmart in Lake Hallie last weekend. No .22 in stock. They had some clearance fishing stuff about 5 feet away from the counter. The Walmart Pharmacy lady comes to the counter (I assume she was on break) and starts chatting with the guy behind the ammo counter. "Okay, here's the 4 boxes I saved for you." Pulls out 4 bricks of Winchester and she proceeds to use her ID and get her employee discount. The she tells him to "save her some more for next week on payday."

View Quote

Not a bit surprised. Nor do I have a problem with it, if it's for her or her family's use. One of the few perks of working at Walmart. If she's neckbearding it, then I'd be pissed... but I'm pissed at all neckbeards.

My wife works at a bank... guess where we go for loans and do our banking? If she worked at Walmart, I'd expect her to be bringing home some .22s also... and at a discount. My kids would get some too if they needed it. But I would not be reselling them for a profit. That can get you fired.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My problem is that the ammo should not be "saved" by an employee for another. It shouldn't be saved for anyone in fact, and put on the shelf.

I'd report this to the store manager.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Scored 3 boxes of Federal 550 bulk pack this morning.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks to "brass badger" I scored 3 550 rd boxes of federal at wally world a couple of days ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Came home from work this morning at 2AM, check brass badger, found that federal 550 packs came in last night. Went out this morning.

All gone.

Not surprised, really.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Came home from work this morning at 2AM, check brass badger, found that federal 550 packs came in last night. Went out this morning.

All gone.

Not surprised, really.
View Quote

Mirrors my experience.  None of the ammo showing in stock on brassbadger has ever turned into something on the shelf
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mirrors my experience.  None of the ammo showing in stock on brassbadger has ever turned into something on the shelf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All gone.

Not surprised, really.

Should be named "brass hound"... like a bloodhound, you can follow the trail of where it was.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Thefirst time I followed a lead from brassbadger, I scored the last bulk pack.
The trip today was made because location and timing worked for me. I've passed on other leads because of time/disrance.

So now I'm running a 50% success rate with brass badger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I guess I spoke too soon.  Seeing this thread made me check the badger and it said Fed 550 packs were in stock.  Quick drove over and they had 10 boxes on the shelf.  Grabbed my 3 and left happy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Inspired by this thread I posted Walmart Federal Bulk Packs on Armslist for $50.00/each.

I GOT THE BAN HAMMER!!!!!  NECKBEARD BY ASSOCIATION!!!

I wanted to see if there was any interest in the .22LR ammo.  I did not get a single response.  So I have no idea who is buying this stuff at high prices.

It took 3-4 days to get the hammer.

Here is what the message stated:

"The community has spoken! This listing been flagged as a scam. For more information review our flagging policy."

I shave at least 5 days/week.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All gone.

Not surprised, really.

It has never been very accurate for me either
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I could not get BrassBadger to work with my browser, but this one does. You will need to know the store number of the Walmart you're searching, but that's on Walmart's website under "store locator".

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1611186_My_ammo_app_is_back_up_and_running_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I found this article linked in GD.

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition/

Best explanation of the .22lr ammo shortage I've read, especially the part about how many .22 firearms there are in circulation, and most everyone who owns one is aware of the "shortage", and when they see it on the shelf, they buy it all up whether they "need" it or not. I own 7 .22lr firearms.... 4 handguns, 3 rifles. If I saw 7 bricks (or more) of .22 on a shelf at 'regular' prices, because of the shortage, I'd snap them up instantly. No shortage? I probably wouldn't buy all 7. ... might not buy any if I knew it would be there when I need some.

Currently, all the ammo makers combined produce about 25-30 million rounds of .22lr every day, 7 days a week. They're at maximum capacity with current equipment. Sounds impressive. But.... the author gives a low estimate of 35 miliion .22lr firearms in circulation, and if everyone of those firearms' owner buys a single 500 rnd brick on the same day, that's 17.5 BILLION rounds gone in one day. At 25 million per day produced, one brick per gun is 1.92 years of production.

There's only one solution... don't hoard it if you don't need it, NEVER buy from a neckbeard, and let the supply catch up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I sold some stuff on Armslist recently and had numerous trade offers for 22LR.

The stuff's becoming the new currency of the firearms marketplace.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I sold some stuff on Armslist recently and had numerous trade offers for 22LR.

The stuff's becoming the new currency of the firearms marketplace.
View Quote

For a lot of people (myself included) it's become sort of a "game" to find .22lr. I actually had a customer, who needed me to unlock his gun safe, "tip" me with a brick of Federal Lightning .22lr. I felt it was the best tip I'd gotten in a long time.

I like to keep one brick per gun on hand (hoarding?). I'm at that level now, maybe a brick or two over if you add in .22 shorts and .22WMR, so when it's in short supply, I don't want to use any if I cannot readily replace it. So I've been seeking more to feel more comfortable in shooting any. If I bring just one handgun and one rifle to the range, there goes at least one brick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
 If I saw 7 bricks (or more) of .22 on a shelf at 'regular' prices,  because  of the shortage, I'd snap them up instantly. No shortage? I probably wouldn't buy all 7. ... might not buy any if I knew it would be there when I need some. .
There's only one solution... don't hoard it if you don't need it, NEVER buy from a neckbeard, and let the supply catch up.
View Quote

You proclaim the solution in the second statement, after admitting that you would contribute to the "problem" in the first statement....
.From your statements, I realize that you are not hoarding, but you did illustrate what others are doing.  Even though people realize the cause of the bare shelves, they continue to clear them regardless if they intend to ever shoot those rounds they are purchasing..  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You proclaim the solution in the second statement, after admitting that you would contribute to the "problem" in the first statement....
.From your statements, I realize that you are not hoarding, but you did illustrate what others are doing.  Even though people realize the cause of the bare shelves, they continue to clear them regardless if they intend to ever shoot those rounds they are purchasing..  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 If I saw 7 bricks (or more) of .22 on a shelf at 'regular' prices,  because  of the shortage, I'd snap them up instantly. No shortage? I probably wouldn't buy all 7. ... might not buy any if I knew it would be there when I need some. .

Actually no, I haven't contributed to the problem, but not for lack of looking. Although I fully intended to buy it IF I saw it, I haven't actually found any to buy at *regular* prices... other than 3 boxes of CCI mini-mags (100rnds ea) I found at a Walmart, back in December when the wife and I were in Antigo doing some Christmas shopping. Limit was 3, so that's what I took. They had about a dozen, I could've had my wife buy 3 also, but I didn't. And that's gone... we shot it all up in my Ruger SR22P and two 10-22s at Christmas when the kids were home. My daughters wanted some "free trigger time" at dad's house, and I gave them each a box to shoot.

Going back to the original intent of this thread, I don't think neckbeards are the main problem (because I haven't seen a single one reselling it up north where I'm at), though they're getting the majority of the blame. I know a lot of people who never stockpiled or hoarded .22, that are now amongst those owners of 35 million .22s that will buy it on sight just because of the shortage. They don't want to get caught ammo-less again.

I believe it's a self sustaining shortage... it's bought on sight because of the scarcity, and it's remained so scarce for so long because it's bought on sight, whether needed right now or not.   A very small percentage of gun owners (the avid shooters) who under normal circumstances stockpiled .22 ammo, has now become a very much larger percentage.

*regular* price is not $75-100 per brick I've only seen at gun shows
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#48]
It's not just neckbeards, although that is the term used.

Discussions in GD have talked about retired folks, and people milking disability (FSA) camping out in sporting goods at walmart-taking chairs off the shelves and using them, littering their empty coffee cups, block aisles, etc while waiting for ammo in the mornings.

I would bet there is some word-of-mouth buying and selling going on many places, not everyone is on the internet still.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's not just neckbeards, although that is the term used.

Discussions in GD have talked about retired folks, and people milking disability (FSA) camping out in sporting goods at walmart-taking chairs off the shelves and using them, littering their empty coffee cups, block aisles, etc while waiting for ammo in the mornings.

I would bet there is some word-of-mouth buying and selling going on many places, not everyone is on the internet still.
View Quote

The nearest Walmart is a 35 minute drive, and it's open 24/7.... one of these days I'm gonna get up early, bring some coffee in a styrofoam cup,  and go watch the show. WTF, I am retired, sorta.

About the word of mouth... around here, bulletin boards in grocery stores and laundramats etc  are the way to sell stuff. I've sold and bought lot of good stuff from those boards. I haven't seen any adds for .22 ammo yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Neck beard alert!
Not me, and I don't know him.  But he has ammo for sale.  Sean Craig.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheGoodStuffSellBarterExchange/?fref=nf
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top