Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2012 1:38:04 AM EDT
I'm posting this here, casue you hometown guys always have good opinions on things.

I'm having extreme difficulties trying to find a decent way to carry.  I'm a khaki/tucked in polo for work type of guy.  I've tried a smart cary with both my M&P9c and 45c.  Both print incredibly bad.  IWB don't seem to work because of the tucked in shirt.

I'm a very petite man at 6' 220lbs (aparantly) becasue everything seems to print.

So, I started looking into thinner guns and came across the Sheild and XDs.  Bot single stack polymers.  I haven't handled or shot either, so this is purely a conceptual conversation.

I really like my M&P's so I'm drawn to the Sheild, however it is only available in 9mm (well, .38 too, I think but I'd be interested in 9), which is fine, but I'd really like to carry in .45acp, personal preference, but not so set in stone that I wont bend.

I've never had an XD of any sort, and don't really like the ones I've shot.  I have also read and seen first hand failures on XD's and XDM's.  Is this going to be accross the board?  Probably not, but it is my experience.  However the XDs is available in .45acp which is a huge plus for me.

So please, school me.

Thanks!

Oh, and here is a visual with super print special feature.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had a XD40 full sized for about 6 or 7 years? I have shot around 800 or more rounds through it and its been flawless.
About a year ago I picked up a XD40 sub-compact and that has also been a great gun. I've only run about 200 rounds down the pipe
on the sub but its awesome. The only mod on each is a extended mag release and some grip tape.
I don't worry about printing when I carry so that's not an issue for me. I can tell you from my experience
with Springfield Armory products they have been great.
2- XD40's
SOCOM 16
M1 A
M1 Garand (new production 2005 )
1911 45acp
Great company, Great guns IMHO.

good luck, shoot safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
What other holsters have you tried? Perhaps appendix carry would be more conducive, especially if you blouse your shirt out a little more.

Otherwise, it looks like you could easily pull off a pocket-carried revolver.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both an XD and the Shield.  I like the shield for concealed carry because it is thin and doesn't weigh much.  My only complaint is that the magazines come with too many loops in the spring and the action on the gun can't close all the way with a full mag unless you force it shut.  It shoots great but there aren't that many options for holsters yet.  I have had my XD for 7 years or so and the only malfunction was the result of some cheap Remington ammo.  It has been a great gun and it's the one that sits by my bed at night.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't see how you're printing in that photo?

I've had only one jam in my XD45 full size, that was with some wolf ammo, in a very dirty gun, rapid firing. I cleared that jam and kept going. So that was a one time thing.

I don't have a CC holster for my XD, so can't tell you if it would print any more than my Taurus PT145 that I do carry in a Clevelands Ugly holster...which is about zero. I do not tuck in my shirts when carrying, kinda defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The Shield comes is both 9mm and .40 S&W and you are right about the XDs coming in a 45acp. Like the shield the XDs is new this year and is hard to find. There is also the glock 36 which is a single stack 45 acp but its the size of the baby glocks 26/27 just slimmer. I had an XD40 Subcompact as my EDC and have had no issues with it after 2000+ rounds. I consider it a gun I would trust my life to. My M&P40 Shield is the same but I have put only about 800+ rounds with out a single failure but with any mechanical devise its inevitable its going to fail at least a few times.

Like someone suggested maybe you should look into appendix carry. If you do that make sure its a short barrel because appendix is not vary comfortable with a gun with a long barrel. Also what IWB's have you tried? Im a fan of CrossBreed which allows you to tuck in your shirt. There are other similar holsters like CrossBreed I just dont have any experience with those.

CrossBreed Untucked and Tucked

Golf Shirt and Shorts CC

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have both an XD and the Shield.  I like the shield for concealed carry because it is thin and doesn't weigh much.  My only complaint is that the magazines come with too many loops in the spring and the action on the gun can't close all the way with a full mag unless you force it shut.  It shoots great but there aren't that many options for holsters yet.  I have had my XD for 7 years or so and the only malfunction was the result of some cheap Remington ammo.  It has been a great gun and it's the one that sits by my bed at night.

Delta -

How is the trigger press on the shield?  I've been told the trigger is still DA, but very similar to a glock trigger in terms of travel and reset.  I'm looking for a replacement for my wifes Karh9CW.  She shoots it pretty well, but likes the trigger pull on the glock better, but the glock it to big for her hand.

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?  If you don't see it, you're looking in the wrong place.

I'll second the Crossbreed Supertuck. Great holster, very comfortable, and allows you to tuck in your shirt... only the belt clips show, and if have the "J" clips and you wear a black belt, not so much. A good belt is a must, too. Other companies make this same type of holster.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
For that style of clothing, and considering you're in good shape, I think appendix carry is your best bet.  I won't speak to which gun, other than I wouldn't want to appendix carry a gun without either a manual safety or a grip safety, since it will spend a considerable amount of time pointed at your femoral artery.  

Half the reason I'd like to lose my gut is so I can carry appendix style.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?  If you don't see it, you're looking in the wrong place.

I'll second the Crossbreed Supertuck. Great holster, very comfortable, and allows you to tuck in your shirt... only the belt clips show, and if have the "J" clips and you wear a black belt, not so much. A good belt is a must, too. Other companies make this same type of holster.

No...I was only looking at his shirt though, not his pants

But yeah, now that I looked again, I see it. Being a blue jeans and untucked shirt guy, I can get away with it easier.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the responses.  I apologize for sort of making it an XD vs M&P thread, that was not my intention, although I really appreciate the testimonials for XD.  Like I said, I have zero experience with XD's (I own an M1A, and a springfield 1911, I have no issues with springfeild) so my statements are based purely on Hearsay.

I will have to look at appendix carry . I dismissed it early on becasue of my tucked in shirt prefrence.  I wil have to re-visit.  Another thing that makes it tough is being a lefty.  There are very few holsters out there that are not available in left hand, but they are rarely available to try out.  I also don't want to go buying a crap load of holsters when my weapon could change.

Again, I really appreciate all the responses.  This info is huge.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Shield on a whim.
I would carry a Shield, over a Glock, or XD, because in MY hand the Shield fits better.
That said, the Shield is bigger than my Kimber Solo, and my S&W .380 Bodyguard.

Or, you might want to consider:  http://kangaroocarry.com/

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delta -

How is the trigger press on the shield?  I've been told the trigger is still DA, but very similar to a glock trigger in terms of travel and reset.  I'm looking for a replacement for my wifes Karh9CW.  She shoots it pretty well, but likes the trigger pull on the glock better, but the glock it to big for her hand.

thanks!

I am guessing it's around 6 pounds but I don't have a proper way to test it.  Smith and Wesson says 6.5 pounds from the factory.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you thought about a "belly band"?
It is deep concealed but may fit your needs. I sometimes use one due to the
summer heat and light clothing. The NRA sells one that is ventilated.
Good Shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top