Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:47:17 PM EDT
It's been a couple months since I've been out to the shooting area north of Woodland Park right off the highway. Last time they had built a gate and posted a large sign stating it was closed due to fire hazard.

Anyone know if it's back open? I'd hate to drive up there and see it's still closed
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
let us know
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#2]
It's OPEN ! They are requesting that you take a fire extinguisher with you as a precaution and don't shoot exploding targets. It's common sense for most people but guess there are some people who  just don't follow rules and make it bad for everyone else.  I went last weekend and had to wait for a while for a shooting spot to open up that's how popular this spot is. So please shoot safe and shoot smart
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do I find this place and what is the terrain like?  How far out can you go?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I was out there this week. It's all open and ready for use again. The biggest issue is people don't clean up after themselves. There is trash covering every shooting spot. It's pretty fucking pathetic that people can't clean up after themselves. Take a trash bag with you and police up your mess and some of the rest out there each time you go shoot.

There are spots which afford themselves nicely for pistol use (short range to 25yds with a small rise/hill to shoot into). Other spots go out to 150yds and farther in open terrain. Some spots are even longer if you don't mind climbing the hill to place targets. Most spots are just draws in the hill that naturally form a secluded shooting spot; however a few are open areas with brush in between areas. All in all its a nice spot.

The rules are easy:
No shooting over the road.
No shooting exploding targets.
Pick-up your trash.
Don't be a dick.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks glck32! Went up there early yesterday morning. Early enough to get a good spot. Turned into a great day for shooting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read on the local Woodland Park Facebook page that people have got together as a group and actually have a " clean up" day to remove the trash that has accumulated over time. Life gets in the way of me assisting so far but I hope to be there for the next one and I wish others that read this would step up and help out also. This is a unique shooting location due to the natural landscape used as backdrops and man I'd hate to see it follow other shooting locations that have been shut down. It appears that the County has spent some time and money for the cattle gate fence and barriers at the entrance just in case of more fires they can shut it down.There was talk this year of the Park County Commisioners taking a vote to do just that due to numerous fiires but evidently that did not happen ..so far. I do believe the forest service has requested that as a precaution shooters carry a fire extinguisher just in case so take a little precaution and buy one it just might save our "range" in the forest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top