Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 6:53:22 PM EDT
Howdy,
This coming week, I'll be come up from Tx for a week of hiking, biking, fishing, and white water rafting. I don't plan on doing a lot of shooting, although my brother in law is a member of a local gun club/range, he says.... I don't know the name or any info other than it has out to 600 yards. I want-will be bringing at a minimum a pistol (.45) for hiking, haven't decided on 1911 TRP, or XD-m 4.5" barrel. My questions are?

1. Any laws against carrying in the mountains hiking/biking or rafting? I read about not carrying in Federal buildings such as ranger offices/stations. Even park restroom. No shooting along waterways, streams, rivers, etc.

2. I want to bring my 10.5" suppressed SBR... not for hiking, but I hate not having a rifle so far from home. Never know when zombies or SHTF. (That is a joke) mostly. But... Any restrictions of possession? I have a trust and stamp for both.

3. Mag restrictions of capacity? TRP is 8+1. Wilson Combat mags. And XD-m is 13+1. I have multiple for each and will have with me which ever I bring.

4. My wife has aTx CHL or whatever it's called in Colorado. I read she is legal to carry there, it's recognized there. Is that correct?

I'm not wanting to go to the mountains to have range day shoot out, just be prepared and protect my family while out in the mountains. I want to bring my new 6.5 Grendel build, 18" bbl, so should be legal, just in case we do go to my BnL's range. My brother in law has 2 houses there, and he has I believe a Colorado carry permit, and carries there most of the time. Again I'm just trying to be legal and avoid any trouble or felonies. Any and all advice is appreciated.

ETA: I know I can Open Carry in the mountains.... if I read it right.

Thanks and Semper Fi

Barry
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1. Any laws against carrying in the mountains hiking/biking or rafting? I read about not carrying in Federal buildings such as ranger offices/stations. Even park restroom. No shooting along waterways, streams, rivers, etc.

2. I want to bring my 10.5" suppressed SBR... not for hiking, but I hate not having a rifle so far from home. Never know when zombies or SHTF. (That is a joke) mostly. But... Any restrictions of possession? I have a trust and stamp for both.

3. Mag restrictions of capacity? TRP is 8+1. Wilson Combat mags. And XD-m is 13+1. I have multiple for each and will have with me which ever I bring.

4. My wife has aTx CHL or whatever it's called in Colorado. I read she is legal to carry there, it's recognized there. Is that correct?
View Quote

1.   No specific restrictions on carrying in the mountains be it hiking, biking, rafting, etc., though i can't imagine carrying while rafting, unless you're on some sort of Class 1-only trip.  

3.   No restrictions on what you've identified.   Since you bought all your magazines prior to July 2013, you wouldn't have any problem anyway.

4.   handgunlaw.us can give you the info about reciprocity
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1.   No specific restrictions on carrying in the mountains be it hiking, biking, rafting, etc., though i can't imagine carrying while rafting, unless you're on some sort of Class 1-only trip.  

3.   No restrictions on what you've identified.   Since you bought all your magazines prior to July 2013, you wouldn't have any problem anyway.

4.   handgunlaw.us can give you the info about reciprocity
View Quote
Thanks I'll check that out. And I didn't necessarily mean for rafting. That was more of just in my weeks events.

Edited:: number 3 answer.... what you did there, I see it. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll want to do an ATF form 5320.20 for the SBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top