Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 3:42:48 PM EDT
Somewhat new to Colorado and off-roading so I always end up going by myself but looking for someone who would be interested in going along.  Usually go on the weekends (some weekdays) to areas within a couple of hours of Colorado Springs.  I drive a slightly modified Jeep WK so nothing too extreme.  Mostly easy to moderate trails so far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Wife and I go wheeling every other weekend west of Denver, haven't explored any of the southern trails. We'd be interested in an Arfcom HTF wheeling day. Anyone else in?

Attachment Attached File

My Rig:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some interesting places that I've checked out for mild 'wheeling' so far.

Gold camp road, pretty mild.
Mt. Herman Road, also mild. Meets up with Rampart Range Road.
A 3rd place I've checked out is near 11 mile, really pretty area. I started off past Wilkerson pass, driving North - eventually over La Salle Pass and down into the tarryall area. The 231 road I would like to check out sometime.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
So far we've done:
Yankee Hill, from Blackhawk to St Mary's Glacier; pretty mild, I'd say level 3-4
Spring Creek; most definitely NOT mild wheeling, it's an 8-9 rock garden
Cascade Creek loop; mild-moderate. Saw some regular trucks with open diffs. 4-5

My SO really only wants to go on level 4 and below trails for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out traildamage.com, although it looks like only paid members can use it now?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wife and I go wheeling every other weekend west of Denver, haven't explored any of the southern trails. We'd be interested in an Arfcom HTF wheeling day. Anyone else in?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20170716-145228-258513.JPG

My Rig:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20170720-064837-258518.JPG
View Quote
Awesome.  Very similar to my setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So far we've done:
Yankee Hill, from Blackhawk to St Mary's Glacier; pretty mild, I'd say level 3-4
Spring Creek; most definitely NOT mild wheeling, it's an 8-9 rock garden
Cascade Creek loop; mild-moderate. Saw some regular trucks with open diffs. 4-5

My SO really only wants to go on level 4 and below trails for what it's worth.
View Quote
Most of what we've done so far I don't even really consider off-roading (forest service dirt roads essentially, e.g. Mt. Herman/Rampart Range Road near Colorado Springs) so we're looking to up the difficulty a bit.  We'd still like to stay within the moderate range, but always down for easy stuff as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Is that a HEMI or CRD? I have a CRD, QD2 and a 4" Superlift.

Looks like you're rocking some 4X Guard stuff. I'm planning to get a front guard and belly guard sometime. Maybe a WARN front winch bumper and WAM Swing Out Tire Carrier bumper too. Lots of options available now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that a HEMI or CRD? I have a CRD, QD2 and a 4" Superlift.

Looks like you're rocking some 4X Guard stuff. I'm planning to get a front guard and belly guard sometime. Maybe a WARN front winch bumper and WAM Swing Out Tire Carrier bumper too. Lots of options available now.
View Quote
It's the HEMI with QD2 and OME HD lift.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone here done this trail: Argentine Pass 4x4 Road

Looks like a nice ride with some cool historical buildings and stuff.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Old Stage Road from Colorado Springs to Victor/Cripple Creek is a fun drive. It's all dirt and isn't too difficult; but spectacular views the whole way. There are some turn-offs with more aggressive wheeling as well. I did that then took County Road 69 South to Cánon City to hit Skyline Drive then back North on 115 back to COS. Lunch in Cripple Creek is a decent spot to stop and stretch your legs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm planning a trip to the Ouray/Telluride area to hit some of the trails there September 13th-17th if anyone would be interested in meeting up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm planning a trip to the Ouray/Telluride area to hit some of the trails there September 13th-17th if anyone would be interested in meeting up.
View Quote
We'll be travelling then, but definitely doing some camping/wheeling in August.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Definitely making me wish I didn't get rid of my Jeep. I need to get the dirtbike plated to join some of these trips.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I am building out my overland vehicle right now - when I'm done I'll be wheeling again.

Quoted:

Definitely making me wish I didn't get rid of my Jeep. I need to get the dirtbike plated to join some of these trips.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Engineer Pass was easy enough in my Nissan Frontier and it's a pretty epic trail. Takes quite a bit of time though, maybe 3 hours? And it's not the kind of thing you want to rush through.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
can't really join jeep groups because my moto is so much faster.    Always down to ride with fellow 2 wheelers 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Engineer Pass was easy enough in my Nissan Frontier and it's a pretty epic trail. Takes quite a bit of time though, maybe 3 hours? And it's not the kind of thing you want to rush through.
View Quote
I've done Engineer in an all-stock 4Runner, and in an all-stock S-Blazer. No problems at all if you just give yourself time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top