Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 6:36:26 PM EDT
Looking at a ranch out there

What are the summers like and does it snow a bunch in the winter?

Is the town itself nice?

I've passed through a bunch but have never really stopped
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at a ranch out there

What are the summers like and does it snow a bunch in the winter?

Is the town itself nice?

I've passed through a bunch but have never really stopped
View Quote

there are several directions away from Colorado Springs.  So, the answer "out there" to the east will be significantly different from one "out there" to the west.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
South east within 40 miles
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
it's not arizona hot down there, but that is generally approaching the hottest part of the state.   while farther away than what you say, the forecast in LaJunta is 102F for tomorrow, but 90F in Denver.  

it will snow down there, but not crazy amounts of snow--i would think it would be a very rare occurrence that you could be snowed in there.  

I live in Denver metro and like it well enough, but travel to the springs quite often for work, and it's not my cup of tea.   Many folks love it.   There's breweries, golf, shooting, decent gun stores, etc.  Also, consider 40 miles SE and your closest big town may be Pueblo
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A ranch east of town?  It can get hot, rarely over the 90s.  It will be 20-30 degrees cooler than AZ.  It typically cools off nicely after sunset in summer.

We're in a high desert.  We get snow, though it usually melts quickly.  The plains can get huge snow drifts due to wind.  There are some very nice places east of town, others not so much.

ETA: 40 miles SE of the Springs?  That's out near the SE corner of El Paso County.  Colorado Springs will still be closer than Pueblo.  It's mostly ranching country, green some places, blasted desert like in others.  The Bohart and Chico Basin ranches are out there.  There can be extreme weather at times.  I rather liked the country though.

ETA2: Colorado Springs itself is getting big, over a half million in the metro area.  The Springs is the conservative heart of the state. That's changing though, with all the libs and dope heads moving in.  There are very nice parts of town, others, not so much.  SW part of town and the old north side are nice.  The mag limits are ignored, local gun shops still sell "hi cap" mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It can get really cold but it doesn't really snow that much. It's pretty dry where you are looking at. You can get some exciting storms and tornados are a possibility. :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys,
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I know some folks that live in that area, your snow will be significantly less but it still closes roads. Pikes peak makes snow dump on northern colorado springs, fountain gets a little less and out east much less. There is a pass in the mountains near pueblo so they also frequently get dumped with snow for whatever reason when fountain gets very little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top