Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2017 11:53:55 PM EDT
Gents,

Staying with some family in Blue River the 30th - 12th. We've been before, albeit briefly, without a car. SO, dog, and I are making the drive out from TN so we will be in our F150.

I would like to do an abbreviated one night truck camping trip with some scenic views. I've looked up Boreas Pass but wanted to check and see if anyone had done it/camped it or had any better ideas. Dog will be with us so that's a must (...some places in East TN don't allow dogs because of black bears/wildlife). I would be willing to drive an hour from Breck/Blue River for the right place.

Any input?

Also... will be bringing CCW. CO honors TN.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Boreas Pass is interesting.  IIRC all the turns to accommodate the old railroad grade add up to like 27 complete circles to get to the top of the pass.  The pass itself is well over 11,000 ft, so be aware of altitude issues.  There are or were some old buildings from RR days at the top of the pass.  There is some pretty country and great views on the way up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Buckskin Gulch, up from Alma, (call it ten or fifteen miles south of Blue River on CO9) is also nice. The South Park Saloon has good burgers. I would not ever eat or drink in the Alma's Only Bar: I think they cooked meth in the kitchen the last time I was in that area.

It's also over 11,000' so watch for altitude issues.

If either Alma or Fairplay or maybe Breckenridge are hosting any kind of summer festival, forget it. It's gonna be crowded.

I've not been around Boreas, so I couldn't compare them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Any recommendations for the pup? I'm unsure of how the altitude is going to fair with him. He's a bird dog, over a year old and high energy. I'm thinking, if anything, he will tire faster and I'm going to try to make sure he is extra hydrated for the duration of the ~10 days in Blue River.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
An interesting place is right across the road from Blue River--go up Crown Point Road to the Mohawk Lakes (I think it's Crown Point, haven't been up there in years).  The lakes are separated by a chain of waterfalls, very pretty and a good hike.  You'll be above timberline at the upper lake.

Another place in the area--go north on Main Street in Breckenridge, turn right on Wellington Road and go east.  That's French Gulch, part of the historic mining area.  If you continue past the place called Lincoln, the road will eventually turn from east to south and run between Mount Baldy and Mount Guyot (known as Lightning to locals).  I don't know how far up private property runs there nowadays, it used to all be old mining claims or national forest.  Unless you have 4wd you'll have to get out and walk at some point.  I thought it was very scenic and a bit strange up there.  If you keep going south, you'll eventually hit French Pass between the two mountains.  

Your dog will have a blast, and will wear himself out.  Yes, keep lots of water on hand for him, and for yourself, of course.  Lay off the alcohol for a few days, it will catch up with you quickly at altitude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top