Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 6:41:43 PM EDT
I'm currently applying to some Denver area jobs and am scoping out homes. What are the areas to move to for schools,  and areas the avoid?  Looking at homes in the 300k-375k range as a point of reference, and need to live within commute distance of Denver.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
When I lived there a while back, Cherry Creek School district was the one to be in. We lived in centennial, out by the 470.  That place has EXPLODED since then...
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Douglas Co has full school choice and is the largest conservative county in Colorado.

Heck, Castle Rock has not one, but TWO arfcommers on its City Council

(I won't out them)
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Douglas Co has full school choice and is the largest conservative county in Colorado.

Heck, Castle Rock has not one, but TWO arfcommers on its City Council

(I won't out them)
View Quote
Nice!  Thanks.

Fingers crossed I get the job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
From my wife, who teaches for one of the districts named:

Cherry Creek and Douglas are both good.
Jefferson County is okay. Good neighborhoods have good schools. Bad neighborhoods have teachers who spend all damn day on discipline problems.
Aurora is about the same.
Avoid Denver proper. The schools aren't great, which makes them a perfect match for everything else about that city.
I would also avoid the Adams 50 and Adams 12 (Adams County, basically the north suburbs) districts.
Boulder....your housing budget will get you an illegal flop in a detached garage in any neighborhood in Boulder that isn't overrun with college brats.

I think, if I could find housing that I could afford in Douglas County and had a commute where living down south was convenient, that would be my answer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From my wife, who teaches for one of the districts named:

Cherry Creek and Douglas are both good.
Jefferson County is okay. Good neighborhoods have good schools. Bad neighborhoods have teachers who spend all damn day on discipline problems.
Aurora is about the same.
Avoid Denver proper. The schools aren't great, which makes them a perfect match for everything else about that city.
I would also avoid the Adams 50 and Adams 12 (Adams County, basically the north suburbs) districts.
Boulder....your housing budget will get you an illegal flop in a detached garage in any neighborhood in Boulder that isn't overrun with college brats.

I think, if I could find housing that I could afford in Douglas County and had a commute where living down south was convenient, that would be my answer.
View Quote
The Broomfield schools (Adams 5 Star? even though in Broomfield County) are good for public schools from what I've heard.*

*Consider the source (me).  I'm against public schools and never got one past the goalie with any of my ex GFs.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
i would guess it would be hard to find a single family home in the cherry creek district at that price level.  not impossible, but uphill
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking at homes in the 300k-375k range as a point of reference
View Quote

That's going to skip the better neighborhoods right from the get go.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah price range will be a challenge.

Taught for JeffCo for 4 years. They have not had a bond or mill levy pass in, what, the last 2 or 3 elections. Seeing behind the curtain, I was not impressed with JeffCo, but I may say the same with any district. We are in Adams 12 and like it. Now that said we are on the way North side in a great elementary school. Still have crowded classrooms (getting worse with massive building near the school).

Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top