Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 2:05:03 PM EDT
Hey Arfcom Colorado,

I am being considered for a new job which would put me in the Denver/Broomfield area. I just got a new truck and I have heard that "vehicles don't last more than 5 years" in Colorado because of the salt used on the roads during the winter. Would I be better off buying a beater 4x4 vehicle for use in the winter and then throwing my new truck in a garage? How do the residents in the Denver area handle the rusting problem due to salted roads?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
They salt the roads in Colorado?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You heard wrong.

The air here is way too dry for that and it only dumps enough for them to treat the roads a few times a year.

After a snow storm run your truck through a gas station car wash and it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
And here.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/faqs.html

There are way too many excellent condition classic trucks being used everyday for your fear to be true.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You heard wrong.

The air here is way too dry for that and it only dumps enough for them to treat the roads a few times a year.

After a snow storm run your truck through a gas station car wash and it'll be fine.
View Quote
Thank you for the clarification. I really didn't want to shell out the cash for a second vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I suppose I should have used the sarcasm tag.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You heard wrong.

View Quote
I never thought about the car was solution. I live in Texas where we never salt roads so I wasn't sure what it's like to have an area with lots of snow/ice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ice, as it's known in the Midwest and such, is a rare thing here.  What ice we get on the roads is usually polished down from tires on the snowpack.

I will say this: if you do come here, and don't know how to drive in winter conditions, GTFO of the left hand lane.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ice, as it's known in the Midwest and such, is a rare thing here.  What ice we get on the roads is usually polished down from tires on the snowpack.

I will say this: if you do come here, and don't know how to drive in winter conditions, GTFO of the left hand lane.
View Quote
I spent 4 years in Northern Arkansas so I'm no novice to winter conditions but duly noted lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The sun and HAIL will do more damage than the crap they put on the pavement. Try to park in a garage.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what we tell texans to keep them out of the ditches in Colorado

No joke though north Arkansas is not like the winters here.  For example this winter it was -32 at about 8am where I am. It was the coldest place on the planet at that moment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what we tell texans to keep them out of the ditches in Colorado

No joke though north Arkansas is not like the winters here.  For example this winter it was -32 at about 8am where I am. It was the coldest place on the planet at that moment.
View Quote
Good grief that's cold. And yeah I have no doubt it would be substantially worse than up in AR.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have wintered in the Ozarks, I grew up there.  I have wintered in the high country and along the Front Range in Colorado.  I would much rather winter here than there.  It just isn't the same.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm originally from Michigan, where they put so much salt on the roads that you can taste it when driving over them in the winter. Cars fall apart there like they are being driven in the sulfuric acid rain of Venus.

Colorado doesn't salt. They'll sand the intersections, but the rabid environmentalists would never allow salt to run into the streams.  Heck, we lived just outside of Longmont, and the enviro-wackos got the mosquito spraying stopped because it was cruel to the bugs.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't say I've ever seen a rusted out vehicle of any kind here that started out new in co. 
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Heck, we lived just outside of Longmont, and the enviro-wackos got the mosquito spraying stopped because it was cruel to the bugs.  
View Quote
That's Boulder County for you.....
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
CDOT announced this past winter that they were starting to use a salt brine (liquid) to pre-treat roads up to 8 hours before a storm to prevent icing and make plowing easier.

http://www.9news.com/news/travel/cdot-crews-prepare-to-use-salt-brine-on-roads-1/371081443

Fortunately this is the only use of road salt in the state that I have heard of. Fortunately we don't have ten-wheel dump trucks driving around with plows in the front and spreaders in the back dumping granular salt all over our roads like some other states do. As far as I know the only thing they drop in a solid form is sand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My 03 truck has been an outside truck for its whole life up here and no Rust at all.  Like everybody else said, they don't really salt the roads so it is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The sun and HAIL will do more damage than the crap they put on the pavement. Try to park in a garage.
View Quote
QFT. Can't stress this enough
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
They use magnesium chloride on the roads around here.  My 04 has rust all under it.  Not horrible, but its there.  Live down a dirt road, they work on it and spray the mag chloride on the road till it puddles on the road.  Just have to be sure to wash the underside of the truck.   Just think of putting saltwater on the road.  Usually before a snow storm is about to hit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Rust you say, and the prevention there of?  

When I got my Tacoma in 2012, I coated the underbody, frame, running gear, etc. with POR 15 following the directions carefully.  After 5 full MI winters, the only rust I have is where the coating has worn off from driving on gravel roads.  Front control arms, front of rear axle housing, etc.  I need to touch up those areas.  

It wasn't a fun project, but the frame, inside and out, look like new.  I used those cotton ball on a 16" flexible stick thing to get inside the frame rails and what not.  If you can get the truck up on a lift for a full day that would make things much easier.  

I also pulled the plugs in the doors and rockers and coated those areas too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
You have to go out of your way to make things rust here.  It seems to me that a lot of cars from out east with rust problems get imported to CO to sell to unsuspecting folks who don't know what to look for.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You have to go out of your way to make things rust here.  It seems to me that a lot of cars from out east with rust problems get imported to CO to sell to unsuspecting folks who don't know what to look for.
View Quote
I bought a Datsun pickup from NJ back in the late '70s.  You could see daylight through the fenders.  Literally.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#23]
We bought my wifes Ford Ranger off the lot new in 2003. She has driven it for 14 year over 220,000 miles. No rust.  It sits outside all day everyday and has for 14 years.  Its rarely washed and never ever waxed. (at least I cant remember waxing it, if I did it would have been in the first year maybe)

NO RUST.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#24]
As said above, you heard wrong.

My 2002 chevy truck lasted 17 years before I sold it, with 33-0+ thousand miles on it and zero rust.

Just wash everything after big storms.  Otherwise, no real problems here with modern (last 20 years) vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top