Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 5:20:44 PM EDT
I think it's time for me to apply for my first stamp.

I live in Jefferson County. How would I start the process of applying for a SBR stamp?

What has changed with 41f [is that what took place last summer?]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to add, I'm not necessarily looking for a trust, maybe just paper or efile.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
in for info. I have a trust, but nothing applied for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Download the latest version of a form 1 and fill it out.

Multi is no longer acceptable for caliber.

Estimate the new OAL and send it in along with a check for $200.

Then wait.  And wait.  And wait.

Easy peasey.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Download the latest version of a form 1 and fill it out.

Multi is no longer acceptable for caliber.

Estimate the new OAL and send it in along with a check for $200.

Then wait.  And wait.  And wait.

Easy peasey.
View Quote
So do we no longer need CLEO sign off?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So do we no longer need CLEO sign off?
Thanks.
View Quote
No, not anymore, but they do need to be notified
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What does that notification look like?

Just a quick,  brief letter like when l renewed my C&R license?  

My favorite dealer is in the process of giving up her license and SOT so now I'll be doing this on my own now.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does that notification look like?

Just a quick,  brief letter like when l renewed my C&R license?  

My favorite dealer is in the process of giving up her license and SOT so now I'll be doing this on my own now.  
View Quote
That I'm unsure of. I think I heard ATF had sample letters
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Head to the NFA sub-forum in the Armory forum.  There is plenty of info over there.  The other posts above pretty much summarized what you need to know.  There are still some advantages to having a trust.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I followed this example

I'll be submitting my application later this week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went to Rocky Mtn machine gun tours on Colfax.  They set me up with a DD SBR and omega suppressor, did all the paperwork - no trust, for $25 for each stamp.  Looks like a 9 month or so wait on a Form 4 right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just went to Rocky Mtn machine gun tours on Colfax.  They set me up with a DD SBR and omega suppressor, did all the paperwork - no trust, for $25 for each stamp.  Looks like a 9 month or so wait on a Form 4 right now.
View Quote
Nice! Thanks. I've been considering  a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in jeffco too, apparently the change in regs now results in notification rather than sign off by your local chief leo.  Process was pretty painless, just a photo and the typical gun purchase questions.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That I'm unsure of. I think I heard ATF had sample letters
View Quote
You provide them with a copy of the form.  Instructions are on the forms themselves.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

"Law Enforcement Notification. The transferee must provide a copy of the Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the transferee's address shown in item 2a of the Form 4. In addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor."
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking at doing this myself. I looked at it several years ago but never did it. I think I'm going to buy a 10.5" and build a pistol in the interim. Are there any laws one should know about for AR pistols or SBR's?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd still do a trust.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd still do a trust.
View Quote
Yes, a Trust simplifies things when it comes to access to NFA items, possession of etc.    If your only concern is what happens to and who receives your NFA items after your gone. But you don't want to do a trust. Every NFA item can be transferred after you pass on, by a Form 5.  Those items should be listed in your will.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Still ok to own at pistols and apply for SBR stamp right? I'm thinking about going that route but haven't been watching the laws lately
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes you can still build a pistol and then submit a Form 1 to make it an sbr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top