Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 1:04:28 AM EDT
Needs some help in finding a good spot. My wife, two dogs and I need some mountain time.  We're planning take a five day weekend in late May to mid June time frame.  Ideally we'd like to park the truck hike a few miles and camp near a clear mountain lake and somehow my wife would like there to be an outhouse near by.  I would like some place not crowded as I'd like to play with the dogs and let them run around a bit.  They are very well trained but people may still throw a fit if seen off leash.  I like the Saguache range cause I coming from Dallas/Fort Worth Texas and it's a long drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
While not exactly what you have in mind there is Ridgeway Reservoir outside Ridgeway which is 10 miles north of Ouray.  

Spend the nights are the campground at the lake and four wheel the high country around Ouray.

Come to think of it google Owl Creek Pass.  It's just east of Ridgeway and that would put you in the area where John Wayne's True Grit was filmed.  

But it might be further than you want to travel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The west side of Owl Creek Pass, just below the summit, is where Rooster Cogburn charged Ned Pepper and his gang.  It's called Debbie's Meadow.  Chimney Rock and Courthouse Mountain sit at the back of the meadow, very scenic place.  Just over the top of the pass is the Forks of the Cimarron and Silver Jack Reservoir.  Eyepopping views there as well.  Here's a pic of Chimney Rock and part of the meadow:

Attachment Attached File

Off to the right is where the scene was filmed.

I used to camp at Ridgway State Park each summer.  Haven't been there in years.  It's very busy, and dogs must be on leash.  It's nice on top of the hill, though, there's a campground up top, with restrooms and showers, with the lake on three sides, IIRC.  Get a great view of Mt. Sneffels and the range from there.  There is a swimming beach at the lake, but the water is C-O-L-D!

You can always camp in National Forest land.  I drove up Dallas Creek once, north side of Sneffels, Google Maps shows it as 7 Rd, west of Ridgway.  I was surprised how many people had their campers up there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Buckhorn Reservoir is another l was thinking of.  It's southeast of Montrose.  Another 15-20 miles north of Ridgeway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I'll check these out tonight on the map.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You're not kidding that area is gorgeous, but a bit further then I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume by "Saguache" you mean the Sawatch Range.  The Sawatch is the veritable spine of the Rockies, running from Mount of the Holy Cross in the north to Mounts Shavano and Tabeguache in the south near Salida, many of the highest mountains in the state.  You might consider the Turquoise Lake area, just west of Leadville.  Also Half Moon, between Mounts Elbert and Massive, the two highest peaks in the state.  Also near Leadville, southwest of town.  There's a state park running along the Arkansas River, somewhere around Buena Vista and Salida, someone else might chime in on it.  Lots of rafting in the area.  Also, up Cottonwood Creek west of Buena Vista.  

You might also consider camping up in the Sangre de Cristos, to the south of Salida, maybe on the east/Wet Mountains side.  Colony Lakes come to mind.  Lots of rustic camping up there.  The Sangres are probably closest if you're coming from Texas.  A lot of Texans like the Lake City area, maybe Creede.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The leash thing is going to preclude most state park areas.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is what 10,000 feet looked like today on Lizard Head Pass.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#9]
If you find the unicorn spot you described let me know.

And late May is pretty sketchy at altitude.  Bring your winter gear.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I recommend Montana.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately our trip had to be cancelled but I will be saving these ideas. Hopefully later this summer will work out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top