Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 9:10:23 AM EDT
Going to be staying in Fort Collins for a few days in late may and looking for some day hikes. I'm familiar with Rocky Mountain national park and have been there several times. Thinking of maybe heading up Poudre canyon, anything good up that way within an hour or so drive? Open to any suggestions just looking to hike some new places other than the park.

Also any good dining suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gem Lake
Estes Cone
Greyrock
Horsetooth Mtn itself
View Quote
I came here to post this, was beaten to the punch. Greyrock and Horsetooth should be mostly free of snow, which is a bonus. Intermediate snow/mud/ice isn't the most fun hiking conditions.

Also, one last hike to consider, that's really phenominal "bang for the buck" is Lilly Mountain, based on the view from the summit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Horsetooth is pretty popular, and another option that hasn't been mentioned is Lory State Park.  It is adjacent to Horsetooth park, but not part of the same park system.  Lory straddles Horsetooth reservoir for quite a few miles and there are quite a few different paths.  On the south side, you have Arthurs Rock(sp?), and on the north side you have Timberline trail with alot of mileage in between.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 greyrock.
Horsetooth falls is nice too.
Red feather lakes has some great spots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
+1 greyrock.
Horsetooth falls is nice too.
View Quote
Forget the falls! Hit the summit!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all. I will research those. Any can't miss places to eat in fort collins?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks all. I will research those. Any can't miss places to eat in fort collins?
View Quote
What do you like?
I really like Young's Café. It's a Vietnamese place.
Rio Grande is really known for it's margaritas and decent food.
Coopersmith's a brewpub/poolhall with decent food
Beau Joes is a Colorado institution pizza place
Mary's Mountain Cookies is pretty great, if you like cookies- nice area too
Mayor of Oldtown is a hardcore craft beer hangout

Fort Collins actually has a huge and thriving restaurant scene.
And as you probably know, craft beer is a HUGE thing there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What do you like?
I really like Young's Café. It's a Vietnamese place.
Rio Grande is really known for it's margaritas and decent food.
Coopersmith's a brewpub/poolhall with decent food
Beau Joes is a Colorado institution pizza place
Mary's Mountain Cookies is pretty great, if you like cookies- nice area too
Mayor of Oldtown is a hardcore craft beer hangout

Fort Collins actually has a huge and thriving restaurant scene.
And as you probably know, craft beer is a HUGE thing there.
View Quote
Just looking for something unique to the area. Like all kinds of food. Any good mexican? Good breakfast?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Others might differ, but I haven't found any great Mexican places.  That being said, I was born and raised in New Mexico which is Green Chili based and the green and red Chile dishes up here are laughable.

For breakfast, Doug's Day Dinner offers a good hearty breakfast and actually has a really good smothered green chili breakfast burrito and their bacon is the nice center cut thick bacon.  Downtown there is The Silver Cafe which is probably 50 years old and does a solid breakfast, and you have Snooze which is a trendy hipsterish place, but pretty good and good for a bloody mary.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of great suggestions already, but if you have a bit more time you might looks at some of these hikes.  Great little reference tool.

Day Hikes In Denver Area
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of great suggestions already, but if you have a bit more time you might looks at some of these hikes.  Great little reference tool.

Day Hikes In Denver Area
View Quote
Great link! Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The pickle barel has some good sandwichs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Will there still be to much snow in late May in the Rawah Wilderness? Looks like some of the trails go up to 12,000 ft or so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will there still be to much snow in late May in the Rawah Wilderness? Looks like some of the trails go up to 12,000 ft or so.
View Quote
I spend a lot of time up and over 12k. It's still really snowy up that high and will be through probably mid-June this year. We just got dumped on for the past 24hrs.

You could check out SNOTEL sites near where you want to go to gauge what the conditions are like up around there. I don't spend much time up in FoCo so their snow could be different from what I experience in the areas I frequent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like a good breakfast then go to Lucile's. It's Louisiana/Creole and the best in town.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Breakfast - Silver Grill downtown (perhaps already referenced as the Silver Cafe).  If you like really big home made cinnamon rolls and traditional breakfast, that's a good one.  Also, if you go there, pick up one of their mugs, really nice.

Steak place, I always liked the Charco Broiler.  Perhaps not what they used to be, but still had a really good dinner there last time out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top