Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2017 6:09:31 PM EDT
So I need to make a quick knee jerk call on a promotion within my existing company.  That decision resides around taking a split role between CO & UT for a quarter or two then potentially going all in with CO only.  Looking over just 1st page of this hometown forum already has me slightly concerned, aka scary automagic knives thread, the Denver awb/magazine ban thread, etc.  I knew there was some funkiness about CO since I don't completely live with my head in the sand but I am trying to gather as much info as possible asap in regards to the laws that apply to "our" (arfcom related) hobbies.  

I took the spot I am in now due to the outdoor activities access.  I am 1 hour from 14 resorts, 30 mins from 6 to which I currently hold season passes for 3 including the epic pass/park city.  I know CO has plenty to choose from as well albeit not as convenient.  I do have about 7 resort days in CO on my epic pass that revolved somewhat around business trips.  Needless to say I love snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, etc, what I don't love is the Mormon influence governing my sinful drinking habits or other "degenerate" hobbies as it applies to their religion pretty much everywhere you go in UT.  

What I am specifically worried about are firearms regulations.  I am a stamp collector many times over with the food and feeding devices to experience those hobbies for quite some time to come.  I also like automatic knives and carry a ultratech as EDC, scary to think I may have carried one around the Denver area on multiple occasions but I cant remember for certain.  :-)

Anyways, please post any info or links you might have that can give quick and accurate summaries of any laws you would think apply to a gun guy or any gotchas that would screw my plans.  I am doing my own research as well but the hive mind here may be able to hasten my search for answers and decision influencing facts about CO.  

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay out of the city and county of Denver and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe Aurora and Boulder also? Just don't live there. The rest of the state is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe Aurora and Boulder also? Just don't live there. The rest of the state is pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, thank you both.  So is it that the rest of the counties/cities dont enforce laws on the books or they all just apply to denver proper?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree with these posts. I travel every day through Boulder with a Hitlery for Prison sticker
Here is some quick reads. 
http://www.knifeup.com/colorado-knife-law/
https://www.uslawshield.com/colorado-gun-law/
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/csp/colorado-gun-laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Colorado

From this article. Pretty much sums up the mag question for you-http://smartgunlaws.org/large-capacity-ammunition-magazines-in-colorado/

A large-capacity magazine that is manufactured in Colorado after July 1, 2013, must include a permanent stamp or marking indicating that the large-capacity magazine was manufactured or assembled after July 1, 2013.  The stamp or marking must be legibly and conspicuously engraved or cast upon the outer surface of the large-capacity magazine.  The Colorado Bureau of Investigation may create rules for implementing this requirement, including additional identification information on each large-capacity magazine.4Exceptions – A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if they owned the large-capacity magazine on or prior to July 1, 2013, and maintain continuous possession of the magazine.5  When a person charged with illegal possession of a large-capacity magazine claims to fall under this exception, the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove otherwise.6
Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, thank you both.  So is it that the rest of the counties/cities dont enforce laws on the books or they all just apply to denver proper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live up in the mountains a ways. Denver has some strict laws if IIRC about concealed carry. But I believe your state permit would win in court. Someone will be along to correct me if that's wrong. 
Boulder just has a large liberal population, and Aurora and East Denver just have some rough areas.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you berto for those links..  quite helpful.

Can someone clarify the Denver AWB, if i have an AR with me, and that AR has a 20 round magazine with it, im g2g.  If there is a 30 round mag, drum, etc, its getting taken away or potentially jail time?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thank you berto for those links..  quite helpful.

Can someone clarify the Denver AWB, if i have an AR with me, and that AR has a 20 round magazine with it, im g2g.  If there is a 30 round mag, drum, etc, its getting taken away or potentially jail time?
View Quote
Last i checked, the law doesn't apply to people traveling THROUGH denver (i.e. you live in FoCo, but need to get to Co Springs, the only route is through denver via the interstate). If you like the outdoors like you said you do, and want to live in an outdoorsy friendly county, i don't see why you'd ever hang out in denver in the first place. Its a crime ridden concrete jungle that costs 3x everywhere else. Its miserable. Are you going to be working there or something? Just leave your AR at home lol

And the state law says its 15 rounds, not 20.

I recently grabbed $150 worth of 25 round 308 pmags at a store up north. Standing next to an off duty cop. Oh they sell kershaws too. The point is, there is a significant difference between what you hear about on GD, the law, or read about in the news, versus reality.

And no one to date has ever posted any proof that shows boulder is legislatively anti-gun. Sounds like an oped piece or hysteria. To the naysayers, there's a damn NFA dealer on PEARL STREET!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Last i checked, the law doesn't apply to people traveling THROUGH denver (i.e. you live in FoCo, but need to get to Co Springs, the only route is through denver via the interstate). If you like the outdoors like you said you do, and want to live in an outdoorsy friendly county, i don't see why you'd ever hang out in denver in the first place. Its a crime ridden concrete jungle that costs 3x everywhere else. Its miserable. Are you going to be working there or something? Just leave your AR at home lol

And the state law says its 15 rounds, not 20.

I recently grabbed $150 worth of 25 round 308 pmags at a store up north. Standing next to an off duty cop. Oh they sell kershaws too. The point is, there is a significant difference between what you hear about on GD, the law, or read about in the news, versus reality.

And no one to date has ever posted any proof that shows boulder is legislatively anti-gun. Sounds like an oped piece or hysteria. To the naysayers, there's a damn NFA dealer on PEARL STREET!
View Quote
I'll have to be in denver fairly regularly for work reasons.  Due to what you mentioned i do generally carry a little heavier load out in the truck if i know im going to be in an area of interest.  

thank you for the info.  Keep it coming.  MPX SBR and Scorpion SBR are definitely on the short list of things to get sooner than later.  Curious how that would play out with standard capacity magazines obviously mfg after the cut off date.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The magazine and knife issues have already been covered and I'll add in, that overall Colorado is very friendly.  Going on towards the beverage portion of your question, you will be very happy in Colorado.  We have a crap-ton of micro breweries all over the state.  We also have some of the bigger ones such as New Belgium (bleh) Odells, and Oscar Blues as well as Coors and Budweiser.  You would be hard pressed to go to downtown in any city in this state and not find a local brewery.  You mentioned the outdoors, but not specifically hunting, but if you do hunt we have amazing opportunities.  As for the skiing, we obviously have world class sking, but driving I-70 sucks on the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my Colorado summary.   I am listed as number 16 of the 28 remaining people over the age of 4 who were actually born here:

Mountains:  Halfway full of liberal hippies, halfway full of good folks.  The liberal douche bags have a tendency to all die in their summer tired Mercedes convertibles when winter comes.  Helps out some.

Denver:  
-West Side:  OK folks.   Not a trendy place for the most part, nor full of abject poverty.
-East Side: We call it Saudi Aurora due to the bizarre crime bullshit.   The representative from Aurora who pushed the hardest for our recent state wide standard capacity magazine ban was a convicted felon...and perfectly represented her constituents.  These people want to ban guns for the same reason Chicago did - people that live there by and large are too damn dumb and violent to be permitted guns.  And they know it.  
-North-East Side:  Speak Spanish.  English is neither welcome nor understood.  Police are VERY aggressive here as they try to tamp down on the drug gang violence.  I decided to move after the second person was murdered in my front yard.
-South Side:  Completely full of assholes, all the way up over the brim.  Oddly marbled a little with hardcore gun folks. Would be a great place to live after a massive plague.  People here are insane, and mostly from the east or west coast.  

Western Slope:  Reminds me of Utah, Montana, Wyoming

Boulder:  Liberal hippy mecca.  Globally.  Think San Francisco, just wasting your oxygen instead of the oxygen in Cali.  If we ever get nuked, and it doesn't hit boulder first, I'm going to be royally pissed.

Colorado Springs:  
Generally a good place.  LOTS of military folks.  The crime in the area is pretty damn bizarre, and sometimes you find people living in a handicapped size porta potty.  Setup as apartments...

Greeley:  An extension of Thornton and Commerce city, the two north side cities I mentioned when I suggested speaking English might get you murdered behind a convenience store.  Smells horribly of cow shit in the summer.  Horribly.  

Other northern colorado towns (Loveland, Fort Collins) - as good as it gets on the east side of the mountains IMHO.  

Pueblo:  Reminds a person a lot of Colorado Springs.

Any ski resort town:  You can rent a really NICE place here for the cheap price of $2000 a month.  
Wait, did I fucking say that?  
I meant that you can rent the space between the toilet paper roll and the toilet for $2000.  A week.  I hope you like standing.  
If 101,855 people live in a particular ski resort town, its 101,853 complete assholes with more money than morality, and 2 people trying to escape before some snow bunny asks them to make them another latte right fucking now.  

I am no more bitter about what happened to colorado than an old lady whose whole family came to visit her in the hospital, on her death bed, and they all got MRSA and died FIRST.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
First piece of advice I would give is take almost everything said about CO with a huge grain of salt.  It's almost entirely negative and almost entirely exaggerated.

I live in North Metro.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First piece of advice I would give is take almost everything said about CO with a huge grain of salt.  It's almost entirely negative and almost entirely exaggerated.

I live in North Metro.
View Quote
I guess that's reasonable.  It's not like obama won here in 2008.  Or 2012.  Hillary didn't win here in 2016. We didn't enact any batshit crazy gun control laws.   And our governor isn't a front runner for the next presidential candidate for the Democrats.   And we didn't legalize marijuana.  So not too bad all in all.

Edited to add:  DENVER isn't a sanctuary city, and there wasn't a sign in my kids school asking illegal immigrants to call so their family can get free food, housing, health care, and jobs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SNIP
View Quote
Example:  I live in Thornton and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with the Spanish thing.  Only time I've had to use Spanish was with an 80 year old abuelita working the counter at a taqueria.

And once with a guy pushing a helado cart in Civic Center Park.

Shrug-a-roonie.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Live on the right side of the state aka The Western Slope and you'll have zero issues
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Colorado Springs is pretty nice. You have to be aware that crime does sometimes happen but if you know where the bad areas you can avoid a lot of the trouble.

Castle Rock might be a viable option, might be good if someone who lives there can chime in.

We totally own Utah when it comes to the quality and availability of craft beer, that's for sure.
Liquor stores open 7 days a week from about 10AM to 11PM usually. Craft beer bar in union station. Craft beer options in the Denver Airport. Craft beer options in Coors Field.
Breweries can sell you 14%+ beer on draft, or to go. Most breweries do crowlers or growlers to allow you to bring draft beer home with you. And we have beer festivals everywhere including one of the biggest in the world.

The craft brewing industry has embraced the outdoor lifestyle with many dozens of breweries offering craft cans (taking glass bottles into the mountains is frowned upon)
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#17]
As  number 19 of the 28 remaining people over the age of 4 who were actually born here.....

This state is doomed.  From even 20 years ago, hell maybe even 10.  it's rapidly becoming Kalifornia, not only in traffic, housing prices, but the complete number of idiocy rules and NIMBYism's.  

Are there great places to live in Colorado?  Sure, tons of them, but all outnumbered and outvoted by Denver metro/front range.  It's simply a matter of time.

I'd stay in Utah if I were you and I'm looking for my exit to somewhere currently.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I love Colorado - live in Golden, work for MillerCoors.  I've only been here for 5 years, but both of my parents and extended family are from here.  Sure, it's changed for the worse in some ways over the last 30 years, but still a big metro area right on top of some beautiful moutains.  Weather is generally great.  Housing is expensive, and rich monied assholes can be annoying, but this most definitely isn't California.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top