Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 10:28:52 PM EDT
Out of curiosity, is anyone going?  I'm taking the day off from work and I want to take my kids up to see it.  I'm looking at leaving Denver around 5 AM and driving to Douglas, WY or Casper, WY and just maybe pulling over somewhere.  I know I can buy viewing glasses for pretty cheap.  I haven't really planned out much more than that, but I figure my kids will learn a whole lot more than being in school.  Does anyone have a more thoughtfully planned out itinerary?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, is anyone going?  I'm taking the day off from work and I want to take my kids up to see it.  I'm looking at leaving Denver around 5 AM and driving to Douglas, WY or Casper, WY and just maybe pulling over somewhere.  I know I can buy viewing glasses for pretty cheap.  I haven't really planned out much more than that, but I figure my kids will learn a whole lot more than being in school.  Does anyone have a more thoughtfully planned out itinerary?
View Quote

I intend to go, was planning on Glendo, WY or somewhere nearby.  I read somewhere that Glendo, population 204, is expecting 50,000-75,000 for the event.  I'm rather concerned that they want to keep everyone to one observing field, which is a bit south of the eclipse path centerline.  I'm sure Glendo State Park, around the reservoir, will be packed as well.  I think it's going to be a madhouse anywhere you go.  Glendo is a bit south of Douglas, just off I-25.  

"Thoughtfully planned out"?  LOL  Um, no.  I'll take some food, water, coffee and such, along with camera, observing aids, etc.  My latest thoughts are possibly going to Douglas as well.  One thing to plan on--prepositioning for after the event.  I do not want to get boxed into a traffic nightmare.  A whole lot of people will be trying to leave all at once.  Again, I think it's going to be a madhouse.  I've considered heading NE on I-76/I-80 and going into far NW Nebraska as an alternative, maybe around Alliance.  I'm sure they'll be crowded as well, EVERYWHERE along the path of totality will be.  A sister in the KC metro area sent a link saying that St. Joseph, MO, just to the north and on the path of totality, is expecting 500,000 people for the event.

I have eclipse glasses on hand, some of the disposable ones, plus one good/more expensive pair.  I also have a safe solar filter for the telescope I'll bring along.  I've wondered how much I'll really use the scope though--things will happen very fast during totality.

There is a thread already going over at GD regarding the eclipse:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1967945_Six-Months-Until-the-Total-Solar-Eclipse-of-2017-.html

I cannot stress too highly: protect your vision!  Use only safe filters for viewing partial phases--the eclipse glasses can be had for a dollar or two a pair.  Safe solar filter material is also available.  Exposed film, negatives, etc., ARE NOT SAFE.  If you want to use a welder's glass, it must be a #14 or greater, the standard #10 is not dark enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  You've given me a few more things to consider.  I was just going to wing it and leave around 5 AM and try to find somewhere.  I wonder now if that's going to be early enough.  I expected traffic to be jammed, but it sounds like it may be way worse than anyone could possibly expect.

I saw a story on the morning news today that some hotels motels are advertising rooms for $1000 if they have any left.

Here it is:
http://www.9news.com/news/travel/hotel-guests-see-cancellations-rate-hikes-ahead-of-solar-eclipse-1/424852778
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  You've given me a few more things to consider.  I was just going to wing it and leave around 5 AM and try to find somewhere.  I wonder now if that's going to be early enough.  I expected traffic to be jammed, but it sounds like it may be way worse than anyone could possibly expect.

I saw a story on the morning news today that some hotels motels are advertising rooms for $1000 if they have any left.

Here it is:
http://www.9news.com/news/travel/hotel-guests-see-cancellations-rate-hikes-ahead-of-solar-eclipse-1/424852778
View Quote
Yup.  Believe me, people have seen this coming for a long time, and intend to capitalize on it.  It will be the same across the country, along the path of totality--every little town on the way is planning some sort of celebration/festival, their chance to score.  I can't really blame them.  

Glendo, Wyoming was pinpointed some time back as a prime location, due to weather prospects.  There are hardcore eclipse chasers who travel the world for the next chance at the experience, and there will be people from around the world dropping in on Wyoming.  Ka-ching!

Another thing to be aware of--be prepared for a last minute change in plans, all dependent on weather.  If it turns out cloudy where you are, you'll want to try to get to where it's clear.  This is a big reason I don't like Glendo's plan to fence everyone in, if they need to cut and run at the last moment it really will be a nightmare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top