Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:58:37 PM EDT
I read that there is a Denver-specific AWB. wiki link.
What are the limits of Denver? I have a friend moving to Aurora.... is that somehow considered part of Denver?

I saw this pin, but it's locked. How do you prove you owned a high-cap magazine prior to the change in the law?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The City and County of Denver think they are special and that they can make their own set of firearm regulations regarding assault weapons and magazine capacities.  They believe pre-emption does not apply to them, claiming home rule.  IDK if they have been challenged on this, but as of now, I don't think so.  They were challenged on peaceable journey and lost.

The burden of proof is on the government to prove when you owned the magazines.  If the magazines have no date stamp, or if it "rubbed" off, then you have no idea when they were manufactured, let alone purchased.  If there is a date stamp, you would still have to prove when possession took place.  Good luck prosecutor.  Bill sponsors admitted during debate, this would be very a very difficult hurdle to clear.  The only way you could be caught is if the date stamp were post July 2013 (the date the law took effect).  

Only one person has been charged for a magazine, and it was an add on to a list of other crimes.  I think that  it was eventually dropped.

This is all from memory, I'm not an attorney, read at your own risk, etc......but......there are stores openly selling standard capacity magazines.  Many (if not most) county sherrif's offices have stated they will not enforce the mag ban.

ETA:  Aurora isn't in Denver county.

FWIW, I don't care what the limits are in Denver.  They can KMB.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The City and County of Denver think they are special and that they can make their own set of firearm regulations regarding assault weapons and magazine capacities.  They believe pre-emption does not apply to them, claiming home rule.  IDK if they have been challenged on this, but as of now, I don't think so.  They were challenged on peaceable journey and lost.

View Quote
What is preemption?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your facts
http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-springs/fact-check-colorados-gun-magazine-ban/323772960
Quoted:

The burden of proof is on the government to prove when you owned the magazines.  If the magazines have no date stamp, or if it "rubbed" off, then you have no idea when they were manufactured, let alone purchased.  If there is a date stamp, you would still have to prove when possession took place.  Good luck prosecutor.  Bill sponsors admitted during debate, this would be very a very difficult hurdle to clear.  The only way you could be caught is if the date stamp were post July 2013 (the date the law took effect).  

Only one person has been charged for a magazine, and it was an add on to a list of other crimes.  I think that  it was eventually dropped.

This is all from memory, I'm not an attorney, read at your own risk, etc......but......there are stores openly selling standard capacity magazines.  Many (if not most) county sherrif's offices have stated they will not enforce the mag ban.

FWIW, I don't care what the limits are in Denver.  They can KMB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In Colorado, we have what they call Home Rule cities, in a lot of cases they have claim that state law does not preempt their local laws that are more strict.
Denver has claimed home rule status in regards to their AWB. There is no AWB in CO as a whole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In Colorado, we have what they call Home Rule cities, in a lot of cases they have claim that state law does not preempt their local laws that are more strict.
Denver has claimed home rule status in regards to their AWB. There is no AWB in CO as a whole.
Kind of like how states ignore the Bill of Rights/2A and make their own laws? How many levels can it go down... Can I preempt federal, state, county... oh wait that's what the Bill of Rights is intended... inalienable rights of the individual. Wow, it just went full circle... and I melted my brain.

Quoted:
Check your facts  http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-springs/fact-check-colorados-gun-magazine-ban/323772960
I like this

"What we have done is make criminals out of law-abiding citizens.  And quite frankly, the criminals still get whatever magazines they want," explains Republican State Senator Jerry Sonnenberg of Sterling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top