Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 5:28:25 PM EDT
My sister/family has access to land out in Parker.   80 acres, and she tells me that she wouldn't mind getting rid of some coyotes.   Is there a season?  I am going to be out there late march.  I can use my Brother's AR and a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to go to the CDOW website,do some reading then start making some calls to them. If the 80 is close to town that my not be enough land. As a out of stater on private land you have some diff. laws to skate around . Hate to say it but its not as easy as it sounds in Douglas county.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If you'd like some company let me know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Coyotes on PRIVATE land are free game year around.  The big limitation is having land thats not in city limits.   If the land is in county, and you can safely fire a gun there, and the land owner says kill em, then by all means zorch away.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coyotes on PRIVATE land are free game year around.  The big limitation is having land thats not in city limits.   If the land is in county, and you can safely fire a gun there, and the land owner says kill em, then by all means zorch away.
View Quote

It is zoned as farm land.   Though my sister uses it for riding her horses.   I own land in WV and have out of staters hunt.   Last year I was out there my Sister said that she has tried just about everything to rid her of the yotes.   I offered to shoot them, and she was ok with that.   It is my parents land.  My brother has an ar that I can use.   So, I am going to look into it.   Thank you for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
According to the CO Small Game rules, "It is illegal to take furbearers [which includes coyotes] within 500 yards of a dwelling, building, campground or other structure, or in areas that jeopardize human safety."  That is somewhat vague.  Does it mean that one cannot take a shot from a shooting position that is within 500 yards from a tent or shed or whatever?  Does it mean that one cannot take a shot AT a coyote that, at the moment of the shot, is within 500 yards from a "structure," such as an electric junction box?  It's weirdly vague to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing that applies only when your hunting on public land.  There's absolutely NO way that can apply when your hunting on private land.  Otherwise no farmer in the entire state would be able to blast a yote on his own property legally.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm guessing that applies only when your hunting on public land.  There's absolutely NO way that can apply when your hunting on private land.  Otherwise no farmer in the entire state would be able to blast a yote on his own property legally.
View Quote
It is not limited to public land.  It is in the "GENERAL HUNTING LAWS: LEGAL SMALL-GAME HUNTING METHODS": on page 8 of the Small Game Hunting Guide.  

I am a large landowner in Park County.  It affects my options.  I understand the absurdity, but I think it is a statewide rule (public or private) in Colorado.  There are no such restrictions in the Big Game regulations.  So, one, apparently legally could shoot an antelope, deer, elk, or bear from their cabin patio at an animal 10 feet away, but one legally cannot shoot a coyote or bunny if either the shooter or the animal is within 500 yards of a tent or “structure.”  Silly vague rule, but it clearly applies to private, as well as public, land.  You guys need to get the legislature to get rid of that silly rule and the magazine rule that drove MagPul away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top