Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 7:23:16 PM EDT
Spending a week in Estes Park in early June, suggestions for things to do in the area? Planning to spend a day in Denver at the zoo and a day at Pikes Peak. Looking to maybe take the kids, 12 and 9, horse back riding and planning to do some hiking. Also would appreciate some ideas for places to eat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Geez, you'll be right next door to Rocky Mountain National Park, dude.  I daresay you could spend a week there alone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The heck with pikes peak! Stay in RMNP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't go to Estes without checking out the Stanley Hotel.  See if the haunted tour is available, been a long time since I went on it but lots of fun.  As pointed out RMNP is great, pace yourself if you're not used to altitude and drink lots of water.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geez, you'll be right next door to Rocky Mountain National Park, dude.  I daresay you could spend a week there alone.
View Quote

THIS.  some of the most beautiful scenery I have encountered.  

Take trail Ridge Road.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

The YMCA of the Rockies is not your normal Y.  They have the horseback riding for the family and is convenient to the RMNP gates.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of food/ice cream places downtown for the kids and family.  Smoking Dave's barbecue is really good and not too far away from Downtown.  The YMCA is a really great place to stay and they do have horse rides that we have never done.  We did a chuck wagon breakfast with horse ride through Sombrero stables years ago and that was really fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If weather permits take the gondola in Estes. I've never done the Stanley hotel tour but I've done the gondola 4 times.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You realize that from Estes to Pikes Peak is gonna be ~3hrs drive, right? That's a long way to go for Pikes Peak IMO.

As others have said, you're going to be right next door to RMNP. Skip all the other crap and spend a week in the park.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! From a guy that can see the Peak out my window.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The YMCA of the Rockies is not your normal Y.  They have the horseback riding for the family and is convenient to the RMNP gates.
View Quote

The first time my wife booked a stay there, I was baffled. I said, "where are we staying, on the gym floor?"  My view of YMCA was stereotypical.

We've stayed there a dozen times, both in the cabins and the rooms. The views are breathtaking.  The property is something like 700 acres, and is adjacent to the RMNP.  You can hike into the park from the Y.  Archery, pool, mini golf, tennis, and everyone is super nice.  It's like a mountain resort without all the snootiness.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Skip the Denver Zoo and hit the Colorado Springs Zoo. It's the best I've ever been to. Oskar Blues Brewery in Lyons has good beer and food.  There's a cool bar in a 40' shipping container downtown, and a cool candy shop for the kids. Didn't find too many other great places to eat. Are you camping there or staying in a hotel?  If you drive through the park to the west side you can go to Grandby...home if the killdozer. There's a dive type  country bar there with good food. Forget the name but it's across the street from a head shop. In the park, check out the alluvial fan. It's pretty cool. If you're in shape and up for a day hike, longs peak is a 14'er but come prepared and keep an eye on the weather.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I would say everything you want to do with your family is in estes park.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
The Gem Lake trail is a nice moderate hike without a park entrance fee.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I live in Colorado Springs and I concur. That's a lot of driving for the experience. If anything do Mt. Evans instead.

Estes Park / RMNP is awesome. If you have access to an SUV you should drive Old Trail Ridge Road up.

Hike to Loch Vale.
Hike to Emerald Lake, but on a weekday.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I live in Colorado Springs and I concur. That's a lot of driving for the experience. If anything do Mt. Evans instead.

Estes Park / RMNP is awesome. If you have access to an SUV you should drive Old Trail Ridge Road up.

Hike to Loch Vale.
Hike to Emerald Lake, but on a weekday.
View Quote
It's Fall River Road and it's typically not open till later in June depending on sno pack.

OP there will be plenty of snow still up there in early/mid June, if the little owns don't get much sledding in during the winter they can at RMP.
You should also spend some time on the Grand Lake side too, there's ATV/side by side rentals along with plenty of light hiking. You can step over the head waters of the Co River which is pretty cool and it's a easy walk/hike.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're intent on visiting Colorado Springs, beyond just Pikes Peak, you should visit Garden of the Gods, maybe the Air Force Academy--it is or was the #1 tourist attraction in the state.  You have to enter at the north gate if you visit the AFA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top