Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 12:12:12 AM EDT
Just drove up here to start a new job. Got gas west of Denver,  and noticed the pump had 85 octane. Say what?

Truck says 89 preferred,  87 okay to use. I've always used 87, and it runs fine. Is it okay to run 85 I'm it?  I'm assuming this has something to do with the elevation here?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Most vehicles are good to go. Larger trucks, high performance....may need 87 or 91. Also, make sure that you don't void any warranty by using lower than recommended octane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
i've been living here my whole life, had all kinds of cars, trucks and motorcycles from the 60s to current.  I never, and I mean never buy the expensive stuff.  I always buy regular.

The cars work just fine.  

Just use regular.  it's fine
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Went through the same thing. I grew up in the midwest, at an altitude in the low three digits and driving a GMC that wanted 87,

Then I moved here and ran 85 without a hitch, without having to do anything at all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct, due to the elevation you should be able to run the 85.

I run it in all my cars and was able to run the 87/89 in the WRX I drove for work, it called for 91

You can try filling up with 85 when you are at a 1/2 tank if you have concerns, listen for pinging/knocking under heavy acceleration, if you don't hear any, try a full tank. If you do then add a bottle of octane boost and use the next grade up when you fill up next.
View Quote

This.  Due to elevation, 85 here is equivalent to 87 at lower elevations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, 85 should be fine due to the lower compression ratios in your engine because of the altitude.  Now, if you run a turbocharger, it might not work as your turbo can probably compensate for the lower density altitude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top