Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
The family is running about a move to Colorado and I wanted the skinny on 911 services in the state... Front range, Western slope, Denver, Ft Collins, down south.....pretty much anywhere is open.

I'm a 13 year street medic and have done most everything in the career except flight (I might be a little bit big @ 6'5" and 250lbs.

Any information would be appreciated.

I've also posted in the Brother's of the Shield forum.

Thanks in advance.

Wig
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not in the field, but my observations are there are jobs for medics here. I know AMR serves Longmont and I believe Boulder. Fort Collins is served by the hospital system (poudre valley?). Denver is done by Denver health I think it is. Up north for the bigger cities, Loveland, Westminster, Thornton, Frederick/firestone, broomfield, Lafayette, Louisville, northglenn and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, they are all department based medics.

No clue on pay, I'm sure it's quite low on the private ems side, it's always been that way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not in the field, but my observations are there are jobs for medics here. I know AMR serves Longmont and I believe Boulder. Fort Collins is served by the hospital system (poudre valley?). Denver is done by Denver health I think it is. Up north for the bigger cities, Loveland, Westminster, Thornton, Frederick/firestone, broomfield, Lafayette, Louisville, northglenn and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, they are all department based medics.

No clue on pay, I'm sure it's quite low on the private ems side, it's always been that way.
View Quote

This is all true. I worked as a Medic in the metro area for 19 years, before needing to move away for sanity reasons. There is a limit to the number of stoners that you can take care of before you are ready to just walk away for ever.
To fly, both FFL and AL require your weight to be under 220 LBS, and fitting into an AS350 or 407 at your height would be a challenge. Heck fitting my 5'10 self into an AS350 is a challenge most of the time and frequently leaves me as a sore grumpy guy after a few flights.  
Boulder (city) did a one year RFP with AMR mid last year, so that will be up soon and there is no clear indication as to where this will go. I'm sure that it's just like AMR everywhere else in the country.
Denver Health (still DG in my brain) does their own this in Denver city/county their pay is the best in the area, but they are a very high volume system.
Apex Paramedics is run by some very good folks, currently they are just doing back up work for Arvada and Denver as well as IFT and CCT work, but their pay is also very good. The leadership at Apex is full of good folks.

Stadium is run by a good guy as well, no idea on pay though. Stadium does mostly special events and IFT work.

Western, Mile High Ambulance, Capital City Ambulance, Columbine Ambulance are other small groups in the metro area that fight for scraps.

Falk, they do the transports for Aurora Fire and AFD has medical control on all calls. IMHO it's a ambulance = taxi kind of thing doing city to suburban work.

AMR also does the work for Colorado Springs Fire. and Pueblo IIRC
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my sons works for Stadium after a short time with an air ambulance company where he flew out of Raton (they closed the airbase there).  He has good things to say about Stadium but the pay isn't the best (kind of an industry issue from what he's told me).  He's been a paramedic for 14 years, is in the Colorado Army National Guard (spent 10 years as a combat medic, became a flight medic almost 4 years ago, he's an E6).

Denver Health consider themselves the top dogs in the Denver area and they do have some fine medics, they've also got some real jerks-but then again so does every job field lol.  Many of the ERs in the area employ paramedics as well so that might be an option for you to look into.

Many of the fire departments have firefighter/paramedics so that might be an option.  There's a merger on the horizon by South Metro to absorb Cunningham and Littleton fire departments. Seems to be the way of the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top