Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 4:11:08 PM EDT
I've been a manager at a place in the industry, here in CO for about a year. I have a lot of misgivings about this place, and I think I should do something. I've tried addressing these issues with both the general manager and the store owner, but I get only lip service and corporate buzzwords such as "we have to begin with the low hanging fruit and work our way up..."

I don't want to get myself in trouble so I'm going to speak with caution in mind. I'll just say this place is a shooting range where many people have been injured by large grain rickochets, lead and other hazmat are not handled properly, and there are shady practices going on such as violations of minimum wage laws and things like that. I've seen the owner and GM both approve large groups (8+) of first time shooters to use rental guns, when the groups are of people who barely speak english and flagrant violate weapons safety rules. These people are often families of Indian or Mexican immigrants with little to no command of English, given pistols and live ammo and more or less all the opportunity in the world to hurt themselves or someone else. All because "its good to get new shooters interested in the sport". I.E., money does the decision making there.

I quit. As a manager I couldn't in good faith let it continue. However, do I MMOB, or call some government agencies? This stuff is bad wrong. I mean, I saw a woman get hit in the face with like a 115 grain rickochet, and the manager lied right to her face about it being the first time it had happened. What should I do?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnum?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I mean it was like a 115 grain chunk of what was originally a .45 someone sent down range. Split her chin and lip bad enough that she probably had to have stitches.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I meant the Shooting Center so I'm going to guess your answer to that is "no".
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What city? I honestly think that if you really feel that way, you should give a heads up to the board. I don't want to take my kids to anyplace unsafe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You could start by naming the range. Like the poster above me said, I don't want my family or I to get injured.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Firing line?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#7]
What were the ricochets hitting to bounce back at the shooters?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Call the appropriate capitol letter agency for each issue.

Disposal of waste - EPA and or CDPHE
Minimum wage - CO Dept of Labor
Unsafe range - OSHA
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In general it is never good to invite the man into your life.
View Quote

In this situation, he no longer works there and would be inviting the man into a business with unsafe practices that could very well be the poster child for the next anti-gun legislation in our shitty legislature.

I'd submit reports to the proper agencies myself. Then again, I also don't work in the industry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
He must not feel it is that unsafe, otherwise we probably would have heard from him by now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm curious as well.

It is not DCF, I can at least assure you guys that much.

If you did in fact manage a range/retail FFL, you know the myriad of compliance issues.  Take your pick on what to report, you know there will be something.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious as well.

It is not DCF, I can at least assure you guys that much.

If you did in fact manage a range/retail FFL, you know the myriad of compliance issues.  Take your pick on what to report, you know there will be something.
View Quote

How do you know it's not DCF? Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I got hit in the finger by a ricochet at a range in the Denver area in the fall.  

Really mad I didnt take a pic with the fragment inside or keep the fragment.  It was a 115 grn 9mm ball round I fired I'm guessing the fragment as about 30-40 grains, razor sharp.   

Wondering if the range was yours OP?  I will never go back.  Doesn't look to bad but it went really deep in there.  I could barely put any weight on the finger at work for a few days.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Bullets are ricocheting off of a steel backstop, or this is a rubber backstop that needs to be "mined"?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
is this the same range that the original RO left because of similar concerns?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
im thinking it was rubber that had too many fragments in it 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top