Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2017 4:10:11 PM EDT
About how many hours would I be looking at driving from Denver to Durango? Thinking of taking the family there for a short vacation this summer. Would be flying in from OR. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what part of town you're looking at 6-7 hours.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not too bad then. I've been to Durango/Silverton and Mesa Verde before but was maybe 5 years old and that was in the late 60's. Thanks for the replies.
Rick
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of beautiful scenery along the way.  If you can spend the extra time, I would recommend driving across I-70 to Delta or Grand Junction and then down to Durango along US-50 and 550, then up US-160 to 285 on the way back or vice-versa.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I was hoping to fly into Grand Junction and rent a car there but none of the larger carriers seem to service it. I was also thinking of making kind of a circle as you describe so not seeing the same thing on return trip to Denver. Time not an issue but like to keep trips like this 4-5 days so nobody gets bored. Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You can make a nice loop of it.  285 takes you over the front range and down into the high desert in the San Luis valley where you can hit Sand Dunes Nat'l Park or wrestle gators.  The route west on 160 takes you over Wolf Creek Pass.  Most of that route is very picture worthy.  Ouray on 550/50 out of Durango is supposed to be the like the alps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was hoping to fly into Grand Junction and rent a car there but none of the larger carriers seem to service it. I was also thinking of making kind of a circle as you describe so not seeing the same thing on return trip to Denver. Time not an issue but like to keep trips like this 4-5 days so nobody gets bored. Thanks for your input!
View Quote

American and United fly in an out of Junction all year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]

That is true but not direct from Portland. There is always 1 stop and it's about 8-9hrs because of the layover. It is an option I suppose but not one I care for. I do thank you all for the helpful replies.
RickM
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is true but not direct from Portland. There is always 1 stop and it's about 8-9hrs because of the layover. It is an option I suppose but not one I care for. I do thank you all for the helpful replies.
RickM
View Quote

None of the majors fly direct to GJ, have to connect in Denver, DFW, PHX or SLC.  Its just like flying into any other smaller town.  Montrose and Eagle get some direct flights from LA and bigger cities during the ski season but I doubt Portland is on that list.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
About how many hours would I be looking at driving from Denver to Durango? Thinking of taking the family there for a short vacation this summer. Would be flying in from OR. Thanks.
View Quote

It is close to a 7 hour drive from metro Denver. Having lived in Durango for 15 years and having driven to Denver every way possible your route is key. South to Walsenburg and then straight across to Durango. You can maintain road speeds, skip more speed traps, few smaller towns, better roads, less up and down (still a few mountain passes).

It is worth the drive. I miss Colorado badly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top