Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2017 10:08:41 AM EDT
First, my parents are both still alive and well but getting older, estate planning is becoming more of a topic though.  Dad has a number of firearms that he plans for me to have, nothing NFA regulated, mostly "fudd" guns.

Colorado's current laws are less than clear to me on inheritance.   Any advice as to how to keep the whole thing simple and legal when the time arrives?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No advice on the gun stuff, but i'd strongly suggest they get their medical / advanced directives figured out NOW. It can be an ethical and legal nightmare if "the time comes" and no one has any directives.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The law allows for transfer by inheritance without a background check.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
are your parents, or more importantly, the guns, in colorado?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
are your parents, or more importantly, the guns, in colorado?
View Quote

That's not all that important. Inheritance is one of the few (maybe the only?) exception to the FFL requirement: you can go to wherever the guns are, in any other state, and take possession of them without going through an FFL, as long as the owner really did will them to you (or, I imagine, the guns pass to you through that state's intestacy law, but I'm a little foggier on that part.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top