Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2016 1:11:46 PM EDT
Merry Christmas everyone,

I'm considering picking up and possibly making a move as long as it will be worth it for my family and I.  I'm applying for a position in Denver and Aurora and was looking for recommendations of towns and cities to consider moving to.  We have a 3 year old and a 2 month old.  Of course we're looking for safe towns with a good school system and within a 45 minute commute to Denver/Aurora for work. And also because my 3 year old has Cystic Fibrosis and Denver has a good CF clinic for her.  I will be the only one working so our budget for the house will be under $300k.  Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Brighton was a pretty decent area for your price range. Check crime rates but I can't remember anything crazy happening. House prices were going up when I left though. I can't comment on school quality as I don't have children.

Castle Rock would probably be another good option.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Parker isn't that bad. I chose Elizabeth buts that a hour from downtown. Don't look in Denver or Aurora the 2nd does not matter there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I work in Castle Rock, its a nice area.  I live in Aurora, its a shit hole.

Commute times vary wildly due to traffic.  Where are you moving from?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be coming from New Jersey, if I get the job, can find a nice place, and can get the wife on board.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes you can. Some real nice places to live out here. Have you ever been here?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes the wife and I were out there in February of 2013. Stayed in Aurora and visited Denver, Colorado Springs, Parker, and a few other places. We went out there last time for the same reason this time. I know neighborhoods and homes prices have changed a lot in those 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Close suburbs all have nice areas and crappy areas.

I live up north in the Thornton/Northglenn/Westminster jumble.  You can find plenty of houses in the area for your price range.  Schools are probably going to be charter or private.  The public schools in the Denver Metro are the absolute definition of YMMV.

My one word of advice is avoid Federal Heights.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
hope this helps.. I know several people at work and three familys in my neiborhood (Henderson) that that moved to Lakewood because of the schools
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Avoid Aurora, such a shitty place in every aspect. Agree on avoiding Federal Heights too. 45 min commute to the heart of denver leaves quite a few options on the table in almost every direction.

If you wanna stay north of denver (my preference), consider Erie, Dacono, Lafayette, Longmont. Erie has a SHIT LOAD of new developments that just got finished in the last 12 months, most are $280-$400k, i think the average hangs out at low 300s. I like that area alot, the only consistent crime around there is drunk drivers, otherwise its a very 'burbia sort of area. <5 min from your driveway to being on i25. You're also <15 min from 2 really good (top ranked) highschools, and one more mediocre public one. Handful of K-8 schools as well, some big or small. Can't help you if you wanna live south of denver, don't know that area well, avoid it for many reasons. It gets so damn crowded once you go directly west or directly south of central denver. Like i wouldn't live there if it were damn free - its that type of crowded. Golden is a nice option, beautiful and ultra safe place but its pricey!

Oh gee, how did i forget to mention Louisville? Great area as well. Its almost too safe. Pricey though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be coming from New Jersey, if I get the job, can find a nice place, and can get the wife on board.
View Quote

Get ready to be able to turn left the correct way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get ready to be able to turn left the correct way 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get ready to be able to turn left the correct way 
+1

Precision cuts through gaps in traffic are required in NJ but cause oncoming drivers to swerve here.

And alternate merge doesn't mean "Fuck you!" but rather "Alternate merge."

Moved from Jersey in '98. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top