Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 1:43:50 PM EDT
I know he's a member here but not sure how often he's here or if he's allowed to even post info about his business.
I also know he's highly thought of here and lots of forum members (including myself) go to Burt for our gunsmithing needs.

Found this post on the other site.

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce effective immediately BP Tactical Services is suspending the bulk of services we offer.
As some of you may have read in this thread: (link removed)
The State Department has in its infinite wisdom instructed I.T.A.R to "redefine" what it considers "Manufacturing" as it pertains to "Defense related products".
Just about every operation a Gunsmith performs is now considered "Manufacturing" according to I.T.A.R and as such is mandated to "register" with them to the tune of $2250.00 annually.
I had serious concerns regarding this and had the "Guidance" document reviewed by an I.T.A.R Attorney and a couple of Compliance Officers that I know. Their consensus is unanimous, I MUST register to continue in the business I am in.
Financially this is a prohibitive burden at this time, especially for a part time business. Add the fact that I am taxed on the business at nearly 40% and I would have to work 4-5 months of the year for free just to stay within the good graces of Federal regulations.
This I cannot and will not do.
Most of you will think "Screw em, just keep doing what your doing on the DL". Trust me, I have had the same thought. However running afoul of these regulations carries tremendous penalties, fines can be as steep as $1,000,000.00 not to mention Club Fed time.
The risk is not worth the reward.

Any work I have in house currently will be completed but once that is concluded, operations shall be suspended.
There are rumors from reliable sources that the fee structure may change and regulations may get scaled back, but they are only rumors and who knows what a time line may be.

I would like to say "Thank You" to all.

Bert
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Will this apply to all "gunsmiths" ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will this apply to all "gunsmiths" ?

Yep

Fuck me, my FIL is a gunsmith and FFL. I need to ask him what he plans to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Not meant to be sarcastic at all. Gunsmithing must not be very lucrative at all. If (approximately) $2k/year in addition cost causes a business to close. Don't get me wrong, this sucks....the more gunsmiths the better! I'm just surprised at the amount of the fee causing people to get out/shut down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not meant to be sarcastic at all. Gunsmithing must not be very lucrative at all. If (approximately) $2k/year in addition cost causes a business to close. Don't get me wrong, this sucks....the more gunsmiths the better! I'm just surprised at the amount of the fee causing people to get out/shut down.
View Quote

If you are one of the few full time gunsmiths the fee might not be prohibitively expensive.  However, for part timers it is another matter.  An example, if you have a gun shop and smith part time, at $40 an hour for labor that represents your first 56 hours goes to pay the fee.  If that part timer does four hours of smithing a week at $40 an hour he makes about 8K.  That means over 25% of his wages go to the fee.  THen comes income tax..  I can easily see this being a meh fuck it moment for a lot of hobby/part time smiths.

Another factor is I know a lot of smaller shops that just pass out business cards to a local smith instead of doing it themselves on all but the smallest jobs, as it is a pain to wrench guns when you have to stop constantly to help customers.  Adding another $2250 to the cost of doing business and it just is not worth it.

Combine those two factors and it is not surprising that this no law by bureaucrat is going to do what it was intended to do.  Stand by for the ruling that says assembling an AR for your self or an 80% lower requires you to have a manufacturers license.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the support guys.
This really sucks for us. I have worked very hard to build a successful business in an industry that is very difficult to do so.
I would like to think that we are damn good at what we do and always treated customers well at a fair price.

Like the quoted post above shows, financially at this time I cannot bear this additional cost. As noted between tax liabilities and this new additional fee would mean I would need to work 4-5 months for free just to stay in the good graces of the Feds.
As I operate on a part time basis I just cannot bear nor justify the expense.
This decree by the DDTC affects every single Gunsmith in the nation, of which the majority are small part time operations such as myself.
To tell you the truth, good 'Smiths don't do it for the money, we do it because we genuinely enjoy what we do. The 'Smiths that make a comfortable living from strictly 'Smithing are very few and far between. When I was full time the best year I had was about $24k after taxes etc. $2250.00 from that is a substantial whack and not many businesses can afford a 10% hit.
I am truly sorry to have to make this decision but at this time the risk outweighs the rewards.

Thank you so much to my loyal customers and friends, hopefully this thing gets turned around but until then, I will be suspending the bulk of my operations.

Sincerely and with deep regrets

Bert, AKA "BP Tactical Services"

Welkommen to Gun Control by Regulation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This really sucks for us. I have worked very hard to build a successful business in an industry that is very difficult to do so.
I would like to think that we are damn good at what we do and always treated customers well at a fair price.

Like the quoted post above shows, financially at this time I cannot bear this additional cost. As noted between tax liabilities and this new additional fee would mean I would need to work 4-5 months for free just to stay in the good graces of the Feds.
This decree by the DDTC affects every single Gunsmith in the nation, of which the majority are small part time operations such as myself.
To tell you the truth, good 'Smiths don't do it for the money, we do it because we genuinely enjoy what we do. The 'Smiths that make a comfortable living from strictly 'Smithing are very few and far between. When I was full time the best year I had was about $24k after taxes etc. $2250.00 from that is a substantial whack and not many businesses can afford a 10% hit.
I am truly sorry to have to make this decision but at this time the risk outweighs the rewards.

Thank you so much to my loyal customers and friends, hopefully this thing gets turned around but until then, I will be suspending the bulk of my operations.

View Quote

Sorry man, that really sucks.
Just a thought. Couldn't someone do smith work for free. And what if the person he did the work for donated or gave money as a gift.
I know I've purchased things with a "suggested donation" price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just a thought. Couldn't someone do smith work for free. And what if the person he did the work for donated or gave money as a gift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Body Rubs from "Backpage.com" don't count.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm stating the obvious here, but demand isn't going away.  It will be reduced.  Some smiths will close shop and some will remain open, but increase costs by something like $10/hr.  Some people will do more repair work themselves.  This still sucks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my world body rubs and guns go hand in hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top