Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 2:48:00 PM EDT
I'll be coming to Colorado in about a month, and I'm looking for some good paper maps for back roads, forest service roads, 4x4 trails, etc.

I'll be starting near Dolores, then  towards Ouray and Ice Lake, then over to Mount Blanca. My plans are fluid, but those are the general areas I'll be in and traveling between.

ETA I have my phone, handheld GPS for hiking,, and slightly outdated car navigation, but sometimes it's hard to beat a paper map.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Latitude 40 maps are pretty sweet. Good paper and lots of info. Most of the local bookstores/ outdoor shops will have these
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I always liked the red gazetteer of Colorado, used to see it for sale all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always liked the red gazetteer of Colorado, used to see it for sale all over the place.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+2

https://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Atlas-Gazetteer-DeLorme/dp/B0079JD37C/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&sr=1-2&keywords=colorado+gazetteer

Amazon link but you can find it about anywhere here in CO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Colorado MVUM maps, email each forest service office for them for free. Mytopo.com is good for topo type maps
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll be coming to Colorado in about a month, and I'm looking for some good paper maps for back roads, forest service roads, 4x4 trails, etc.

I'll be starting near Dolores, then  towards Ouray and Ice Lake, then over to Mount Blanca. My plans are fluid, but those are the general areas I'll be in and traveling between.

ETA I have my phone, handheld GPS for hiking,, and slightly outdated car navigation, but sometimes it's hard to beat a paper map.
View Quote

The National Forest Service and National Geographic put out some very nice plasticoated road/trail/topo maps.  The Nat Geo maps are labeled Trails Illustrated.

Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, Lake City
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have mentioned the Forest Service MVUM (motor vehicle use maps) are good. Just make sure you have them all in the area you are going to.  The ranger districts cross over and back and fourth etc.

You can get all of these maps on your smart phone via an app called PDF Maps. More info available at avenza.com This app is the BEST EVER!! It is GPS enabled and it will show your exact location on the map. You do NOT need to have service on your phone, it works 100% off of the built in GPS.

Check it out,  you won't be disappointed!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#8]
MacVan in Colorado springs is where I get my USGS topo maps. They can laminate them also in just a minute for ya
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a mix of mytopo and Google earth saved on my phone.

I've hunted places where I've had those plus an SWA map and a CalTopo map and I see three different public/private property lines.  Plus it's always fun running into a fence line that doesn't show on ANY of the maps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!

I found a discount code "10194" for 50% off at Delorme.  Bought TX, NM, and CO for $32+shipping.

Also just got the Avenza app and have already downloaded a few maps, including a bundle of the game units I'll be in for the first few days of my vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top