Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2016 9:10:04 PM EDT
I understood that if a building had a metal detector and EVERYBODY had to go through it, then no concealed carry is allowed.  However, if security is not enforced against everybody, then concealed carry is allowed.  At the Webb building visitors must go through metal detectors and city employees do not.  It bothers me as it seems to be in direct opposition of state law or do I just go through security while carrying?  Seems like I would be late for my business meetings at that point.

Curious if others had insight on this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting

CRS 18-12-214(4)(c) specifically states EACH person. I would think one could argue that because they don't screen each person this section does not apply to CHL holders.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to sound like a complete smart ass, but good luck with that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Denver's defense will be that employees are pre-screened through the hiring and employee process, so as not to present a security risk.  

Odds are the courts will except it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Denver's defense will be that employees are pre-screened through the hiring and employee process, so as not to present a security risk.  

Odds are the courts will except it.
View Quote

Yup.

Pretty much every judge is going to find it a reasonable exception.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The capitol building is the same way, along with pretty much every courthouse that uses metal detectors. Depends on the building but employees will often get waved right on through.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't address the direct issue of selective scanning but there are weapons lockers by the main door off Colfax before you go through the metal detector.  Though I  can see some people being uncomfortable disarming in clear view of the general public-kinda defeats the purpose of folks carrying concealed .  Crazy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't address the direct issue of selective scanning but there are weapons lockers by the main door off Colfax before you go through the metal detector.  Though I  can see some people being uncomfortable disarming in clear view of the general public-kinda defeats the purpose of folks carrying concealed .  Crazy.
View Quote

I think they also say "no weapons in lockers" or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The capitol building is the same way, along with pretty much every courthouse that uses metal detectors. Depends on the building but employees will often get waved right on through.
View Quote

Conflicting statutes.  IIRC, CRS 13-1-114 gives judges the power to determine security levels, in conjunction with the appropriate LE agency, in the court houses.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Conflicting statutes.  IIRC, CRS 13-1-114 gives judges the power to determine security levels, in conjunction with the appropriate LE agency, in the court houses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, the Wellington Webb also has county court offices and hearing rooms along with police and DA offices.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, didn't notice that, I wasn't using the locker but I'll look closer next time I go in.  Sorry for any confusion/bad info.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to go there a few years ago to pull a permit.   Left the gun in the van.   Went thru security and emptied my pockets.   Checkpoint was run by Denver Police.   A sheriff walked in and went into the bypass lane.   The Police told him to hold tight until they could check him out.  He was flustered.   They checked him and on he went.   One of the police made a comment to the other about "we're just trying to make this as safe as possible".   I shot back " if you wanted it as safe as possible, I wouldn't have to leave  mine in the van".     They weren't supportive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback.  Seems like the general thought is that  "it is what it is".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top