Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2016 12:11:58 PM EDT
Why does this state only allow the lame "safe and sane" fireworks? More importantly, what has the ban on 1.4 consumer fireworks really done to curb their use?

My parents live in Loveland, and their neighborhood was a true sight to behold, with 500 gram cakes, mortar shells, and rockets going off all over the place. The fire department /cops didn't even bother to come. Why? They weren't causing problems or starting fires.

Good fireworks are purchased just across the border in Wyoming, and they make big bucks. Because most of their customers are from Colorado, their prices kind of suck- because we'll pay 'em.
Every year THOUSANDS of Coloradans jump in their cars and make a pilgrimage north to the Mecca of freedom known as Wyoming to get real fireworks.

Overall, the sales of consumer fireworks have increased dramatically in the last 20 years. But fires caused by fireworks and injuries caused by fireworks are all DOWN.
During the 2000-2014 period fires are down 35% and injuries down 40% during that time period.

Colorado Springs banned fireworks completely this year "because of the fires" (black forest and waldo canyon).  Funny thing that, neither of the fires were caused by fireworks, NOR were they in the city.

Keep the money in our state. Allow us the freedom to use good fireworks without breaking the law. Enforcement sucks anyway- it's unevenly applied.  It also invites corruption. I personally know of at least 2 officers who have confiscated fireworks only to blow them off later on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheyenne certainly apreciates our fireworks laws.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen as many fireworks shot off as this year, legal or otherwise.  It was a spectacle.  

Gotta love a little civil disobedience.  Or even a lot.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen as many fireworks shot off as this year, legal or otherwise.  It was a spectacle.  

View Quote

Agreed, it was quite a show and I didn't have to spend a dime this year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

After lighting off about $100 worth of contraband, I climbed up on my roof with my kids and watched a 360 degree fireworks show, some as close as a block away, some as far as widefield. It was awesome.  And 95% of it was illegal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After lighting off about $100 worth of contraband, I climbed up on my roof with my kids and watched a 360 degree fireworks show, some as close as a block away, some as far as widefield. It was awesome.  And 95% of it was illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda makes you want to break out all your out-of-state purchased magazines and wave them around.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kinda makes you want to break out all your out-of-state purchased magazines and wave them around.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd need a lot of hands. A lot. Of. Hands.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Had some interesting discussions with people at work. Most of the older folks want fireworks banned and increased enforcement. And the reason they give is that they have an anecdotal story from the 1990s about some kid burning down a shed or something. Apparently the freedom to do awesome fireworks only applies to those who like them? IE, people who don't like them think they should be banned (they are).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top