Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2016 7:11:05 PM EDT
I'm wanting a Career change and am looking to get into an apprenticeship. Do any of you have any recommendations or know who may be hiring inexperienced apprentices in the loveland/fort collins area? I've had one offer so far, but I'm holding out for a company that does more commercial work. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm wanting a Career change and am looking to get into an apprenticeship. Do any of you have any recommendations or know who may be hiring inexperienced apprentices in the loveland/fort collins area? I've had one offer so far, but I'm holding out for a company that does more commercial work. Thanks for any help.
View Quote

There is a plumbing business the corner of lincoln & link lane. Always have a Help Wanted sign out front.  

Take the offer, get some experience . Then look for commercial.   Not too many commercial looking to hire inexperienced people with the work load they have.   If they do hire, you'll be doing gofer work to start.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the reasons Im jot sure about taking the offer, is it sounds like they just do residential calls to fix simple things and snake. I don't feel like it's going to even give me the experience I need.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the reasons Im jot sure about taking the offer, is it sounds like they just do residential calls to fix simple things and snake. I don't feel like it's going to even give me the experience I need.
View Quote

You think working commercial, they don't snake drains

You start at the bottom at any job with no experience. Money says no matter who hires you. There will be a few shitters and sinks you'll be working on.  If not just wait to they send the new guy into crawl spaces to work.

Plumbing is a dirty hands on job.  Accept the fact sooner or later any job (commercial or residential) will have you doing what you don't want to. OR look for another trade.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't really clear.  I don't have a problem doing that stuff, and I know that I will be doing shit I hate for a while. That's not the problem. The problem is that the place I got an offer at does these jobs 90% of the time and doesn't seem like I will even have a chance to actually learn the trade. I wasn't aware of this until I called an acquaintance who is a master plumber. He said that he wouldn't recommend starting at a place like that because they mainly do those things and it's hard to gain any knowledge that way. He said he would contact a couple places for me and talk to the high ups there. I just haven't heard from him, and I'm anxious to find somewhere to start. I know I'll be taking a cut in pay for a while, and it will be hard financially but it will pay off.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Try the union hall
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are not hung up on just plumbing, look into HVAC. I was a field guy for 14+ years, got the degree, and now I am on the engineering side. The trade has treated me well and I know enough plumbing that I could probably pass a journeyman test.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an interview with a place last Tuesday. The pay is low (as I expected and understand why) starting out, but I know I'll learn a lot quicker at this place and it will actually get me somewhere in the future. I'm still waiting on a call back but I'm crossing my fingers. I might give them a call tomorrow just so they know I'm eager. I don't want to seem like a pest though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top