Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2016 12:09:56 PM EDT
SC guy doing some early planning on a fall trip. Some back ground, my wife is a school teacher and usually cannot travel in the autumn, but she is nearing the end of her career and will lose many days of leave if she does not use them in the next couple of years. (screwy state laws, all teacher leave is use or lose on retirement, plus they are not paid for unused leave). Anyway, I am retired, so I have much more flexibility.

My preliminary idea is to drive out to Denver (I enjoy cross country trips) and pick up my wife there at the airport on a Saturday, spend a full week there, then she flies home the following Sunday, and I drive back at my leisure. This  cuts out the long cross country drive for her, saves one round trip air fare for me, plus saves a rental car.  I have visited CO several times before (was stationed at Lowry AFB in Denver back in the 80's for a winter). I am well traveled in the northern part of the state, such as RMNP area. I want to do the south this trip, hit Mesa Verde, San Juan range, ride the Durango-Silverton train, etc.

Here are my questions for you locals. What is the weather like down there in late September-early October? I have only been in CO during the summer and dead of winter. No experience in the fall months at all. Is there a peak time for leaves changing? If so, is that a bad time to travel? In the east, the Smoky Mountains get crowded during peak leaf time and motels jack up their prices, is why I am asking. What else do you recommend in that general part of the state? Also, how late in October can you drive before snow starts becoming an issue?

Sorry for such a long post. I appreciate any help or suggestions.  

Update: I thought I would bump this. My plans are pretty set now, we will do both the Toltec and Durango rail road trips, a quick stop at Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dunes NP, and at least 3 of the easier jeep trails, maybe more if time does not become an issue. Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

Colorado does not reciprocate for SC's CWP, so what is the CO law on handgun storage inside a vehicle? In SC, it has to be in a closed glove box, or in a trunk, or in the rear compartment of an SUV. I appreciate any input. TIA
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Weather here in that timeframe is really variable, and often changes quickly and without warning.

In one day on a mountain in late September I have gone from 85ºF and sunny to a blizzard. Multiple times, actually. Weather is finicky at that time of the year.

Bring layers, and be prepared for all four seasons worth of weather in any given 24hr stretch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dress for summer, be prepared for winter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weather here in that timeframe is really variable, and often changes quickly and without warning.

In one day on a mountain in late September I have gone from 85ºF and sunny to a blizzard. Multiple times, actually. Weather is finicky at that time of the year.

Bring layers, and be prepared for all four seasons worth of weather in any given 24hr stretch.
View Quote

Gotcha. A good thing about me driving out is I can bring a variety of clothing.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to catch the aspen turning, you might plan on a week or two earlier.  Depends on the area.

Here's an old ditty about Colorado weather:

Winter's in Spring,

Summer's in Fall.

Fall's in Winter,

And there's no Spring at all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Spectacular time of year.

There will certainly be others, as this will be right around peak colors.

I'd suggest you set your itinerary, and reserve hotels in advance. You never know.

What are you driving? That'll guide what types of roads you'll be able to hit. Paved, or backroads...

There are some ~fabulous~ places to see in the southwest part of the state.

I could spend forever in the San Juans...

Durango, Ridgway, Telluride. Gunnison, Crested Butte, Lake City, Creede, that'd be a nice tour. So many options...

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Spectacular time of year.

There will certainly be others, as this will be right around peak colors.

I'd suggest you set your itinerary, and reserve hotels in advance. You never know.

What are you driving? That'll guide what types of roads you'll be able to hit. Paved, or backroads...

There are some ~fabulous~ places to see in the southwest part of the state.

I could spend forever in the San Juans...

Durango, Ridgway, Telluride. Gunnison, Crested Butte, Lake City, Creede, that'd be a nice tour. So many options...

View Quote

Unless I decide to go the fuel economy route,  I am planning to drive my 2012 4X4 Jeep Liberty. If gas goes up for whatever reason, then it will be a Hyundai Elantra. I would prefer the 4X4 for the flexibility.

How bad do the crowds get in leaf season? I have seen how hectic the RMNP gets during the summer, and really do not want to fight big crowds every where. Would you recommend travelling more towards mid/late October? My dates are very flexible right now, other than avoiding really bad weather. (a little snow does not bother me, but would like to avoid road closures)

Also, have you ever done the Durango-Silverton train ride? It looks like fun from what I have seen, plus my wife has never been on a steam train of any kind, so she would love it I think.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, that opens up a boatload of options.

Stay on par with late September/early October. Peak colors in the southwest.

The train ride is awesome. It'll eat a solid day. Just plan for it.  

Then, when leaving Durango, you could hit Ophir Pass form Red Mountain Pass into Telluride. An absolutely spectacular aspen grove.

Certainly go up and see Alta Lakes, while you're there.

I would absolutely hit Last Dollar Road from Ridgway to Telluride (either direction - who am I kidding, both), hit CR 5 & 7 out of Ridgeway, too.

You could then go over Owl Creek Pass to Silverjack Reservoir, Cimarron, and on in to Gunnison that way.

Do a little back road trip out of Crested Butte, and then on down to Paonia, via Kebler Pass. I don't know that I'd suggest Schofield Pass & The Devil's Punchbowl. They're more advanced four wheel drive trails. If you're so inclined, check with the locals on trail conditions.

I'd then go check out Marble, then on around to Aspen. Be sure to deal with the crowds for a sunrise at Maroon Bells. Get there ~early~, and stake your place. :-) You won't want to miss that.

Whatever you do, don't forget the camera!

Damn, you got me jonesin' for a fall trip.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then, when leaving Durango, you could hit Ophir Pass form Red Mountain Pass into Telluride. An absolutely spectacular aspen grove.

I would absolutely hit Last Dollar Road from Ridgway to Telluride (either direction - who am I kidding, both), hit CR 5 & 7 out of Ridgeway, too.

You could then go over Owl Creek Pass to Silverjack Reservoir, Cimarron, and on in to Gunnison that way.

Do a little back road trip out of Crested Butte, and then on down to Paonia, via Kebler Pass. I don't know that I'd suggest Schofield Pass & The Devil's Punchbowl. They're more advanced four wheel drive trails. If you're so inclined, check with the locals on trail conditions.

I'd then go check out Marble, then on around to Aspen. Be sure to deal with the crowds for a sunrise at Maroon Bells. Get there ~early~, and stake your place. :-) You won't want to miss that.

View Quote

Thanks! I will have to get out my map this evening and look at all those roads.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You bet.

Look into getting those train tickets early. Like now, maybe...

It'll be a tough find later. Peak colors, and all.

Any questions, be sure to ask.

I love it in that neck of the woods.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Best part of the state (SW corner), the alps of the US.

weather can be anything, probably not a 100 deg, but hell, ya never know.  September is usually a nice month.  (but again................)

if ti does snow, it's going to melt quickly and you can just wait it out.

I'd take two weeks personally.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
SW Colorado is the best part of the state IMHO.  My experience there has been almost all on two wheels.

- Million Dollar Highway
- Silver Thread Highway
- Lizard Head Pass

Visit the small mountain towns, like Silverton, Lake City

http://wpwarhawk.blogspot.com

Edit: I went to tech school at Lowry in 1984.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Lowry is a suburb now, but there is a cool airplane museum there now, wings over the Rockies
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I would strongly recommend the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad. Although not as well known and not as fancy as the nicer cars of the D&SRR, I believe it is in some ways a more spectacular ride especially during fall colors. Because you are not following a river in a canyon and instead are going over Cumbres Pass at 10,015 ft. there are some expansive and impressive views. You do also get tunnels, 100 foot trestles and dramatic views of the Toltec Gorge and the stream hundreds of feet below.

BTW the only thing you might recognize about Lowry are a couple of hangars that are still there and the B-52.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would strongly recommend the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad. Although not as well known and not as fancy as the nicer cars of the D&SRR, I believe it is in some ways a more spectacular ride especially during fall colors. Because you are not following a river in a canyon and instead are going over Cumbres Pass at 10,015 ft. there are some expansive and impressive views. You do also get tunnels, 100 foot trestles and dramatic views of the Toltec Gorge and the stream hundreds of feet below.

BTW the only thing you might recognize about Lowry are a couple of hangars that are still there and the B-52.
View Quote

Thanks, I had not heard of this RR before.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Runs from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO

I've seen a lot of elk up there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, I'm in SE Colorado and rarely even go to that den of evil, Denver.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Schofield pass is definitely not for the squeamish.  It's narrow and off camber enough to make most folks pucker up pretty good.  

G
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is almost exactly what I would have suggested. Hope you can do most of it. I would also suggest using Carbondale as a base for a night or two.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump, small update in OP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Colorado does not reciprocate for SC's CWP, so what is the CO law on handgun storage inside a vehicle? In SC, it has to be in a closed glove box, or in a trunk, or in the rear compartment of an SUV. I appreciate any input. TIA
View Quote

Legal. State law states that it "shall not be an offense" to have a concealed weapon inside a car "for protection of persons or property while travelling. It's one of the subsections of CRS 18-12-105, IIRC. (When I wore a blue clown suit, the guidance I got was that this included glove boxes, consoles, under the seat, on top of the seat, on your person, whatever.)

Open carry is also legal w/o a license under state law. Denver has a municipal ordinance against open carry, but theirs is the only one that survived our preemption law a decade or so back. That being said, you may or may not get some static depending on where you are in the state, but in the SW I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Legal. State law states that it "shall not be an offense" to have a concealed weapon inside a car "for protection of persons or property while travelling. It's one of the subsections of CRS 18-12-105, IIRC. (When I wore a blue clown suit, the guidance I got was that this included glove boxes, consoles, under the seat, on top of the seat, on your person, whatever.)

Open carry is also legal w/o a license under state law. Denver has a municipal ordinance against open carry, but theirs is the only one that survived our preemption law a decade or so back. That being said, you may or may not get some static depending on where you are in the state, but in the SW I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly this.  Only add that the gun can be loaded with a round in the chamber.  Shotguns and rifles cannot be loaded.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

exactly this.  Only add that the gun can be loaded with a round in the chamber.  Shotguns and rifles cannot be loaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a little more involved. In a car, handguns can be loaded and chambered. It's almost like the 100 dumbasses under the Golden Dome recognized that unloaded pistols aren't much use. Long guns can have a loaded magazine inserted but can't legally be chambered. It's either on ATVs or snowmobiles (I forget which) where a long gun would need to be unloaded entirely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top