Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 5:15:27 AM EDT
I'm thinking about trying to spend a full two months this summer (maybe late July to mid-September) going all over the state of Colorado and camping in my truckbed with a camper shell on it.

What do I need to know about the CO gun laws?

MO has CCW reciprocity with CO.

Can I pretty much carry everywhere I go on this trip?

Any other thoughts/tips regarding the camping itself?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Colorado Reciprocity

Your permit is valid is here.

You can not carry where prohibited by federal law.

You can not carry on any elementary / middle / high school grounds

You can not carry into any public building ( ie local / state government building ) where screening devices are present at all entrances.

Signs posted in private businesses have no force of law, but if you violate the signs and are asked to leave and do not, you could be charged with trespassing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle, no permit needed, but no loaded long guns. (which means round in the chamber) allowed in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What they said. Also, be prepared to be surrounded by people. I'll go dispersed camping thinking I won't see anyone...there are people. Tons of people camp during the summer out here. Be prepared for all 4 seasons as it will snow at high elevations during the summer. Nights can easily be in the 30s/40s in the mountains.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What they said. Also, be prepared to be surrounded by people. I'll go dispersed camping thinking I won't see anyone...there are people. Tons of people camp during the summer out here. Be prepared for all 4 seasons as it will snow at high elevations during the summer. Nights can easily be in the 30s/40s in the mountains.
View Quote

How true. Dress for summer, Be prepared for Winter.

Once you're in state let us know. There's lots of gun comps and meets across the state.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colorado Reciprocity

You can not carry into any public building ( ie local / state government building ) where screening devices are present at all entrances.

Signs posted in private businesses have no force of law, but if you violate the signs and are asked to leave and do not, you could be charged with trespassing.
View Quote

Thanks, that simplifies some of it for me.

What if I have to park on school grounds for some reason? I vaguely remember doing that last time I was in CO, although I didn't have a gun in my car at the time. Am I allowed to have a gun in my car at all on school grounds?

What about magazine capacity and/or special Denver restrictions? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah regarding the camping aspect of things, I figured I might just use a truck topper and then put a mattress and arctic sleeping bag in there.

This is the first time I've done anything like this though, so I am wide open to any thoughts or tips.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah regarding the camping aspect of things, I figured I might just use a truck topper and then put a mattress and arctic sleeping bag in there.

This is the first time I've done anything like this though, so I am wide open to any thoughts or tips.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truck topper is fine, I just wasn't sure if you were camping to get away from people or for cheap living while here. The topper will protect you from the elements well enough. Do you have a good sleeping bag? Do you plan on cooking most of your meals? A decent camp table/kitchen setup would be nice if you will be using it everyday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What if I have to park on school grounds for some reason? I vaguely remember doing that last time I was in CO, although I didn't have a gun in my car at the time. Am I allowed to have a gun in my car at all on school grounds?

What about magazine capacity and/or special Denver restrictions? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colorado Reciprocity

Thanks!

You can have a loaded handgun in your car in the school parking lot.  You can't get out of the car with the gun and if you do get out, the gun must be stored in a compartment and the car must be locked.

Don't worry about the mag restrictions.  I wouldn't consent to any searches should the worst happen, but it's not something I worry about, ever.

Enjoy your stay
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The truck topper is fine, I just wasn't sure if you were camping to get away from people or for cheap living while here. The topper will protect you from the elements well enough. Do you have a good sleeping bag? Do you plan on cooking most of your meals? A decent camp table/kitchen setup would be nice if you will be using it everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the camping thing is mostly a way to live cheaply. I couldn't afford a 2 month Colorado trip otherwise.

For the sleeping bag I figured I'd buy one of the 0 F bags that is rated for cold weather. For meals, I plan on bringing lots of protein bars and stopping in at restaurants or fast food whenever possible.

I just got back from a 2 month trip in Hawaii where I lived on protein bars and the occasional restaurant meal, I lost 15 pounds from all the hiking but it worked out pretty well overall. I'm really not picky with food as long as I'm getting enough protein and vitamins, so I should be alright in that respect.

So the important thing on this Colorado trip is just finding a way to live comfortably in between hikes. The truck topper seems like it will work great, I just wish they were cheaper or at least easier to re-sell. I can't imagine it will be very easy to re-sell a truck topper when I'm done with it, but I may be wrong. What about truckbed tents? Those are a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Great tips so far.

What about bears and other animals in CO?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Great tips so far.

What about bears and other animals in CO?
View Quote
There are lots of animals out here but IMO your chances of an encounter with anything real dangerous are about .001%.  Humans present a far larger danger.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.... but no loaded long guns. (which means round in the chamber) allowed in the vehicle.
View Quote

SBR...bolt closed on loaded mag. Truck camping gun.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So the important thing on this Colorado trip is just finding a way to live comfortably in between hikes. The truck topper seems like it will work great, I just wish they were cheaper or at least easier to re-sell. I can't imagine it will be very easy to re-sell a truck topper when I'm done with it, but I may be wrong. What about truckbed tents? Those are a lot cheaper.
View Quote

Pop-up campers are pretty popular in CO...but then you would have to deal with hauling it around and decreased gas mileage. They would probably have better resale in the end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Cap it in ft collins has a sign that says they rent them
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cap it in ft collins has a sign that says they rent them
View Quote

Just called them and they said they charge $15 per day for the rentals, so I definitely couldn't do that for 2 months. I could almost buy a new one for that price. Thanks for the tip though.

I think I'll be using either a truckbed tent or else a normal ground tent, so any advice on that aspect of things is appreciated. I haven't camped in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a nice alps one man tent on amazon for 80.  Looks nice and got awesome reviews

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Sierra Trading Post in Denver, Ft. Collins, or Cheyenne (WY) has great deal on tents.  Not uncommon to find $3-400 lightweight 3 season tents for $125-150 range.  Also check used stores in Denver, Springs, & Ft. Collins.  Hippies are always selling their gear for weed money.

Here's an example.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-aura-2-tent-2-person-3-season~p~6333r/?filterString=tents~d~228%2F&colorFamily=02

Look them up on facebook for random 20-35% coupons as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a thought, you might consider purchasing a CO SAR card.  It's not insurance, but if you were to need any assistance it allows local entities to be reimbursed from the state search and rescue fund for any costs incurred. Sounds like you are camping and hiking in areas you have never been to. Also, if you get a non-resident fishing or hunting license, it's included in the fees, so you are GTG.  Enjoy your trip, sounds like a great time!  

http://www.coloradosarboard.org/COSARFund.shtml
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Then I would advise getting a regular ground tent so you don't have to strike camp every time you want to run for ice or to a trailhead or for a meal. They're also easier to get rid of or keep if you change trucks. But you should be able to buy a used topper outright for the price of a new tent on Craigslist

As above lots of places to get a decent tent on the cheap

Riverview rv park in Loveland is a decent clean campground with showers on the way up to Estes park
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hammock>tent camping but there is a definite learning curve
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#23]
What about open carry in Colorado?

My friend doesn't have his CCW permit so he was thinking about just OCing while we do hikes all over the state. Any issues with that?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What about open carry in Colorado?

My friend doesn't have his CCW permit so he was thinking about just OCing while we do hikes all over the state. Any issues with that?
View Quote

Outside of cities, issues are unlikely.

Inside of cities, expect funny looks. OC is legal here but on the front range it's hardly common.

Denver is its own special case.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember that archery season starts  August 27th. So you could start running into hunting camps thru the end of your trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top