Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2016 5:25:16 PM EDT
The spot Will be the same as last year. Tarryall Reservoir. There is always a decent amount of confusion about the exact location so I will post several map photos and may get up there early to mark the route to the camp site. Be aware that cell phone service up there is all but none so be prepared.

The date I think we will keep the same as well. Memorial day weekend being May 28th and 29th.

As long as you are friendly, courteous, and safe you are welcome to come on out and join us. Look at the threads on past shoots if you're not sure what to expect. There's pictures posted and other members have posted up about their experiences. It's a good opportunity to get out and meet other firearms enthusiasts in the area. Targets and stands are always in need. We can always use more steel. You can shoot fairly long distances out there, Last year we did get out to 1000 yards. If you are coming to camp, Please keep in mind that it does still get rather cold at night up there. Plan accordingly. This is pretty much a "bring your own food/drink" event but sometimes we have some generous members that bring along some meals for everyone. Guns go away before the booze comes out of course. If you'd like to contribute, post up here so we can better plan our meals. I'll always have extra dogs, burgers and buns. This trip is meant to be family friendly and there will be kids there. Please IM or Email me with any questions! Thanks for looking!

Pictures from years past

How to get there:

First off DO NOT I repeat DO NOT follow standard driving directions from google to get there. I promise it will try to take you on a route you do not want to go.

Turn off from 285 to County Road 77 (Tarryall Road)

+39° 22' 39.99", -105° 47' 59.66"

Turn off from County Road 77 (Tarryall Road) to the dirt road that leads to the camp site

+39° 13' 15.72", -105° 36' 9.12"

GPS location of the actual campsite:

+39° 12' 10.56", -105° 38' 51.32"

Plug in driving directions to Tarryall Reservoir first then use GPS to get to the site. Also do not rely on your phone for GPS unless you download maps ahead of time, there is almost no cell phone service up there. For the people coming from up north or from Denver I suggest taking 285 South till you get to the town of Jefferson. From there you will head east on County road 77 (Tarryall Road) till you get to the Reservoir. The turn off for the dirt road is on the far South East side of the Reservoir. I will try to flag the route with some bolt face logos or something. I strongly urge people to bring some form of radio communications. Look below for frequencies and info for communications.

If you have a FRS radios (Motorola Talkabout, Ect...) we will use Channel 8 Code 7. For Ham Operators that is 467.5625 with a Tone of 85.4 Just for reference of course.

And for regular Ham Operators we will use 145.560 Simplex.

If anyone has any questions or need better information please feel free to call me any time. If I don't answer leave a message and I promise I will return your call. You can also reach me via Email or PM.

A few things that we can always use more of.

1. Fire wood
2. Shade cover
3. folding tables
4. Steel targets

Shawn
303-946-2679
[email protected]

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Reserved
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Made it sticky and made the title bold
View Quote

Went out 4 or 5 years ago(I forget lol). Lots of fun! I'll see what I can work this year
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag, I might actually be able to attend. There are some virgin steel plates in my garage just waiting to get scratched up.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Just was talking about this with everyone that attended the shoot outside Salida this past weekend...

In hopefully!
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I plan to be there.  That reminds me, I got a BUNCH of trailer work to do.  I need to replace all my corner landing legs (or whatever they're called), current ones are shot to shit.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoping to make it.  I currently work retail so Holidays can be hard to get off but I will give it shot and update when I know more
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tag, I might actually be able to attend. There are some virgin steel plates in my garage just waiting to get scratched up.

http://i.imgur.com/u08iDGd.jpg
View Quote
Ill hit the wood

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, probably gonna miss this one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're in unless something unforeseen comes up.

Are you bringing Maizie?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My family will have a new member with us this year.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1847891_Semper_Fi_Dog_Rescue_delivers____eventually_.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you bringing Maizie?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you bringing Maizie?

I've been trying to make a decision on that. She doesn't do well with thunder so gunshots might stress her as well. As you're aware she's such an excitable girl. It'd be a huge ordeal for her since it'll be a new place, lots of people and their pets along with the shooting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My family will have a new member with us this year.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1847891_Semper_Fi_Dog_Rescue_delivers____eventually_.html
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been trying to make a decision on that. She doesn't do well with thunder so gunshots might stress her as well. As you're aware she's such an excitable girl. It'd be a huge ordeal for her since it'll be a new place, lots of people and their pets along with the shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you bringing Maizie?

Yeah that's kinda tricky do what's best for her.

To be honest I was just being selfish I'd like to see her again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit dude why?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shit dude why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit dude why?

Already have a trip to the dunes planned
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit dude why?

Now why would you plan a trip to the dunes when you know damn good and well you are supposed to come shooting with us?

I am disappointed in you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now why would you plan a trip to the dunes when you know damn good and well you are supposed to come shooting with us?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit dude why?

Yeah man unacceptable L
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn.  Only an hour and a half away, but you guys picked the wrong weekend for me!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit dude why?
View Quote

View Quote

Though I will also be @ Great Dunes...
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pro-tip. Ditch the chain and get fire hose. I learned that from MOA Targets this last weekend. If it gets hit it doesn't break. Ask marksjeep about hitting the chain holding your steel!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I will try and make this provided I can get my new toy hauler set up by then.  If not I'll try to make a day trip at least.

I have some rebar steel target hangers from JCsteel and a few steel targets (the smaller 6" x 10" from Wideners) I can bring.

https://jcsteeltargets.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=68&source=search&returncom=productlist&cid=318

I like to shoot long range stuff, but don't have any big pieces of confidence building steel set up yet for the 1000-1500yd ranges.

Has any ranged the max safe distance we could shoot at the location?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I will try and make this provided I can get my new toy hauler set up by then.  If not I'll try to make a day trip at least.

I have some rebar steel target hangers from JCsteel and a few steel targets (the smaller 6" x 10" from Wideners) I can bring.

https://jcsteeltargets.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=68&source=search&returncom=productlist&cid=318

I like to shoot long range stuff, but don't have any big pieces of confidence building steel set up yet for the 1000-1500yd ranges.

View Quote

OP states 1000
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OP states 1000
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP states 1000

Can confirm 1k is doable and probably further with a little scouting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
This snow crap needs to stop. I want sunshine for this trip damn it!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.

I invited two of my non-arfcom friends really looking forward to this trip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Well hopefully in a month its nice and warm up there.  No more windy wet ones for me
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting close. God I need a vacation.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I am still trying to decide. One of my dogs is hit and miss with other dogs, and he doesn't like loud noises anymore. How close to camp do you guys shoot there?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am still trying to decide. One of my dogs is hit and miss with other dogs, and he doesn't like loud noises anymore. How close to camp do you guys shoot there?
View Quote

Step out of your tent about 20 paces and start shooting.

That's how been the years I've gone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of my dogs isn't exactly dog friendly either. We just keep him separated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is the possibility to camp a ways away from where we shoot. You could set up camp a few hundred yards from the rest and leave the dag back at the secluded camp when the noise starts.

For the most part ya, The shooting is a stones throw from the camp site.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#32]
'Twas a nice day out there today, but very breezy.

New road signs are posted that prohibit ATV's on County Road 23. As explained to me, the county can determine what travels on its roads. Enforcement ought to be entertaining. Tarryall attracts a boatload of off-roaders.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
'Twas a nice day out there today, but very breezy.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=88706

New road signs are posted that prohibit ATV's on County Road 23. As explained to me, the county can determine what travels on its roads. Enforcement ought to be entertaining. Tarryall attracts a boatload of off-roaders.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=88707
View Quote

Wouldn't surprise me if those signs all go missing within a year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Just checked the weather forecast for this coming weekend for Fairplay, and its not looking good Goddamnit

Friday high/low 50/30 with rain/snow

Saturday high/low 55/33 with afternoon rain

Sunday high/low 59/33 with afternoon rain
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just checked the weather forecast for this coming weekend for Fairplay, and its not looking good Goddamnit

View Quote

Well shit. I wonder what the road will be like. I'm bringing my 5th wheel again this year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh. I have been watching the forecast for the last few days and it has been changing every day (to be expected) Last year they predicted sun shine and scattered showers for Saturday. It snowed in the morning and by noon I was beautiful. Let the weather do its thing. If it sucks we will all hide in Dan's camper and sit next to the fire place while we sip adult beverages from the bar and watch movies on the built in home theater. It may be a little rough without satellite or cable  but I am sure we will survive.

#Roughingit    
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you guys just hanging out until Sunday?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually get there early afternoon Friday and leave late afternoon Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. I may miss it again. I wouldn't be able to get there until late Saturday or early Sunday. I've got enough crap to do around the house anway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay. I may miss it again. I wouldn't be able to get there until late Saturday or early Sunday. I've got enough crap to do around the house anway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come late Saturday and stay the night. The fun night is usually Saturday night and we still shoot on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Meh. I have been watching the forecast for the last few days and it has been changing every day (to be expected) Last year they predicted sun shine and scattered showers for Saturday. It snowed in the morning and by noon I was beautiful. Let the weather do its thing. If it sucks we will all hide in Dan's camper and sit next to the fire place while we sip adult beverages from the bar and watch movies on the built in home theater. It may be a little rough without satellite or cable  but I am sure we will survive.

#Roughingit    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#Roughingit    

Hellz yeah brutha mi casa es su casa. So the wife was thinking about doing pulled pork sandwiches for the group Saturday night.
So a head count would be great. Just pot luck the sides if everyone is cool with that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I may not make it this year, but I'll wear my Elf onesie down at the dunes as a show of solidarity.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I may not make it this year, but I'll wear my Elf onesie down at the dunes as a show of solidarity.
View Quote

Dude the dunes will be there in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Hellz yeah brutha mi casa es su casa. So the wife was thinking about doing pulled pork sandwiches for the group Saturday night.
So a head count would be great. Just pot luck the sides if everyone is cool with that.
View Quote

We where making food plans for our group last night so if she does want to do it then my group would be 4 adults and 3 kids.

What sides where you thinking?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

We will miss ya.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Guys I am going to have to cancel for this year  Between the sucky weather forecast, and a part on my weight distribution hitch being broken (and the replacement not getting here until Saturday), its just not going to work for me.  Damnit....
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guys I am going to have to cancel for this year  Between the sucky weather forecast, and a part on my weight distribution hitch being broken (and the replacement not getting here until Saturday), its just not going to work for me.  Damnit....
View Quote

Not cool bro. Was going to set up a 1 mile target for the 260's this year. Had it all planed out too.

Why not just drive up with the truck and shoot Saturday?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not cool bro. Was going to set up a 1 mile target for the 260's this year. Had it all planed out too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fly needs his portable cabin.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but all my city slicker friends want me to guide them this weekend. I always give them one trip a year, because they always ask to go.

It's like 'yeah but you're not gonna wanna climb a 14er, so we'll go car camping instead.'
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We where making food plans for our group last night so if she does want to do it then my group would be 4 adults and 3 kids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just the usual camping type sides. She said she'd do the sandwiches,  pasta salad,  and cupcakes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top