Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 5:57:46 PM EDT
I have a car at my shop that has now been here for three months.  It has been fixed and running for two.  The owner now no longer desires to pay for the repairs and made that clear to me before the new year.  I am clearly a bit lazy and just haven't been after it.  But I am tired of looking at it.  And wouldn't mind getting my money quite honestly.  

Anyone dealt with this?  I guess I could title it under my name and try to sell it, but that is a pain in the ass from what I can tell.  I would rather of course to just be paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Easiest thing to do is have him sign over the title to you and sell it.

Debt collections will get you pennies on the dollar or most often nothing.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Easiest thing to do is have him sign over the title to you and sell it.

Debt collections will get you pennies on the dollar or most often nothing.

View Quote

Just checked CL, that would get me about 2 grand less then it is selling for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What vehicle, odometer reading, overall condition?

By the time a debt collector resolves the issue. Taking a loss using CL, might be the better option.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
File a mechanics lien.

Go to court.

It's yours.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ick, that sucks.  If there is  a loan against the vehicle, then you may try to contact the lender and see if they wish to pay the bill and get the vehicle back.  I'm not versed in Colorado laws, but in Oklahoma, a mechanics lien was priority over a lien holder, so the lien holder would have to pay you to get it back.  Now if that didn't work, we would file a title 42 for the mechanics lien and get the title issued to us.  Will what you could get for it at least cover your parts cost?  I'm not in charge of the front of the house where I am now, east of you, but in the past if the estimate was big, and it may equal or pass the value of the turd, I asked for money up front as a deposit.  If they balked, they can take the POS.  A non-payer is worse than no work.  In other news, I wish you'd work on more of your euro stuff, I've had to work on a few lately, and I really hate it lol
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ick, that sucks.  If there is  a loan against the vehicle, then you may try to contact the lender and see if they wish to pay the bill and get the vehicle back.  I'm not versed in Colorado laws, but in Oklahoma, a mechanics lien was priority over a lien holder, so the lien holder would have to pay you to get it back.  Now if that didn't work, we would file a title 42 for the mechanics lien and get the title issued to us.  Will what you could get for it at least cover your parts cost?  I'm not in charge of the front of the house where I am now, east of you, but in the past if the estimate was big, and it may equal or pass the value of the turd, I asked for money up front as a deposit.  If they balked, they can take the POS.  A non-payer is worse than no work.  In other news, I wish you'd work on more of your euro stuff, I've had to work on a few lately, and I really hate it lol
View Quote

This last month I wish I would to.  Been dead.  Worst month I have had in a few years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What vehicle, odometer reading, overall condition?

By the time a debt collector resolves the issue. Taking a loss using CL, might be the better option.
View Quote
2003 VW Eurovan with 145k.  Overall condition is pretty good but the interior while clean looking smells like dirty gym socks.  

Has check engine, but I bet I can get it to pass smog.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess the real question is, if I get the title can I still go after him for the remainder.  May call him and tell him to bring g me 2k and the title.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Document everything.
Do you have notice in your business or on the invoices that vehicles left after X amount of days are subject to storage charges, leins, forfeiture etc?

You should be able to apply for an abandoned vehicle title, obtain such and sell it. I would think if your total costs are not satisfied by the monies from the sale of the vehicle you can pursue the person who contracted the work through small claims.
Just like a repossession, if the vehicle is not sold for the amount owed the lender can go after the prior owner for the difference.
Your documentation is your greatest strength.
Better call Saul.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I guess the real question is, if I get the title can I still go after him for the remainder.  May call him and tell him to bring g me 2k and the title.
View Quote

Yeah go for this. Signing the title is the least work on your part.

Ask for 2k, threaten court and take 1k if he offers. You're not out any "time" chasing the money actually going to court or filing paperwork.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ask for 2k, threaten court and take 1k if he offers. You're not out any "time" chasing the money actually going to court or filing paperwork.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling someone who has no intention of paying you does squat. Pay a lawyer to write him a letter Requesting payment.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done work for Mike in the past and he did some legal stuff for me after the market crunch years ago.      It's going to come down to "is it worth is to pay legal fees, and what will I recover" to make it worth it.    Having a letter from a lawyer might make the client more pliable.    http://www.smrlaw.net/attorneys/michael-a-schlueter/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top