Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 8:36:28 PM EDT
Title says it all, do you know of either a good one to use or of bad one(s) to avoid?  

Friend of mine hasn't been paid in months, it's getting to the point of where they're looking for legal recourse.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The lawyers will take a big bite.

Use the foco unemployment office and they'll help for free. They can initiate a suit. Been there
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No personal experience with them but I've heard very good things.  

Finger and Newcomb

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lawyers will take a big bite.

Use the foco unemployment office and they'll help for free. They can initiate a suit. Been there
View Quote

Figure 20-25% for an attorney. Calling the Labor Board will shake things up, It's what they are there for, though you wouldn't know it.   I had a payment issue with a former employee. Lawyers wanted 20% (then) and didn't feel the money owed was worth their time.
Or as they call it A Slam Dunk.
Called the Labor Board. OOPS seems not only was there an issue with them failing to pay me. Turns out they were not paying in to workers comp OR FICA / Soc, Sec.  Too bad they felt dicking me out of $200 in commission was nothing to be concerned with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
has all common sense been lost?

Who the hell works for months for no pay?

That's the deal, I work, you pay me.  That first check bounces, it's time to go.  I'm not that old, and I can remember working for places where everyone rushed to the bank on friday.

And everyone had stories of bouncing paychecks,.   of course nobody stayed at those jobs.  They had jobs the next monday at some place THAT PAID IT'S WORKERS.

Seriously.   LEAVE
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No personal experience with them but I've heard very good things.  

Finger and Newcomb

View Quote

what did you hear about them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the deal, I work, you pay me.  That first check bounces, it's time to go.  I'm not that old, and I can remember working for places where everyone rushed to the bank on friday.

And everyone had stories of bouncing paychecks,.   of course nobody stayed at those jobs.  They had jobs the next monday at some place THAT PAID IT'S WORKERS.

Seriously.   LEAVE
View Quote

No Shit. No Pay. NO STAY

Still doesn't excuse employer from failure to pay
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No Shit. No Pay. NO STAY

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.   LEAVE

No Shit. No Pay. NO STAY

Well that's kind of a no-brainer, ya think??  

I'm still looking for advice regarding who best to go (or not), thanks go out to the posters who offered some suggestions!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm still looking for advice regarding who best to go (or not), thanks go out to the posters who offered some suggestions!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.   LEAVE

No Shit. No Pay. NO STAY

So this mean you didn't call the labor dept, yes?

Why some folks ask for help then ignore it, amazes me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
He can start by sending this form to the employer.

The complaint form web page is here.

See here.

Also Colorado Wage Act fact sheet.

Your friend is an absolute idiot if he's not a shareholder in this company.  I can't think of any other reason someone would continue to render their services without being paid.  

Additionally, the Wage and Labor dept can't order the payment of wages in excess of $7,500.  By waiting so long, your friend has already capped what the dept can order the employer to pay, and may have to sue in court to recover his money.

If a company can't make payroll, then it's gone, insolvent, defunct.  There won't be some magical turnaround.

Leaving the company will not excuse the employer from payment of past due wages.  

Also, I am not a lawyer but I am a CFO in FoCo, PM me if you want regarding this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He can start by sending this form to the employer.

The complaint form web page is here.

See here.

Also Colorado Wage Act fact sheet.

Your friend is an absolute idiot if he's not a shareholder in this company.  I can't think of any other reason someone would continue to render their services without being paid.  

Additionally, the Wage and Labor dept can't order the payment of wages in excess of $7,500.  By waiting so long, your friend has already capped what the dept can order the employer to pay, and may have to sue in court to recover his money.

If a company can't make payroll, then it's gone, insolvent, defunct.  There won't be some magical turnaround.

Leaving the company will not excuse the employer from payment of past due wages.  

Also, I am not a lawyer but I am a CFO in FoCo, PM me if you want regarding this.
View Quote

Thanks PeteCO, I really do appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If CO's wage and hour is like Nebraska's the statute probably provides for attorney's fees.  If he still needs an attorney I can email one of my Ft. Collins connections and get a name or two.  Let me know by PM.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seriously.   LEAVE
View Quote

Worked a bar/restaurant in Golden last spring and into the summer.  He bounced a few employee paychecks.  One of mine, which he made good on in cash immediately, but I told him if me or any other employee had a late or bounced check after that I'd walk.

I walked on a Friday night, just before shift.  That guy was an idiot, but he sure could cook.

I looked into the labor board for relief, and they seem to take that very seriously, like 2.5x the amount of the bounced check if memory serves.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't mean to leave you guys hangin', she finally got paid!  

Commissioned sales gig, I was unaware she had gone without pay for two months, and of course this was over Thanksgiving and Christmas so that made it that much tougher.

PeteCo - you're a SAINT!  I really do appreciate the offer for help, unfortunately for her as a commissioned salesperson the rules are a bit different (as I'm sure you're well aware).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top