Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2015 1:22:34 PM EDT
New CO resident here, just bought a home in Conifer. Question.

I know that Colorado statute C.R.S. 18-12-106 makes it a crime to be in possession of a firearm while legally intoxicated. I also know by watching Rocky Mountain Law (LOL) that you can be arrested for it even in your own home.

So theoretically if a home invader kicks in the door while you happen to be 8 fingers deep into a bottle of Glenlivet, and you retrieve your HD gun to repel the attack, you can now be charged with a weapons crime. Is that correct?

Sorry if this has been covered before.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Possible: yes. Likely: no.

Completely up to the discretion of the responding officer and the prosecuting attorney later on. Either way, keep your mouth shut without your own legal representative.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Completely up to the discretion of the responding officer and the prosecuting attorney later on. Either way, keep your mouth shut without your own legal representative.
View Quote

That should answer any other questions regarding under the influence and firearms.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Understood.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
i live pretty close to you (windy point), and honestly that would be the last of my worries in that situation.

As stated though, dont talk to police other than to notify that there has been a shooting and that immediate medical attention is required.  Let your lawyer handle the rest.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, kudos to you for actually looking up, reading, and comprehending the statues. Not enough of that from some. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BTW, kudos to you for actually looking up, reading, and comprehending the statues. Not enough of that from some. Thank you.
View Quote

I was originally looking up if carrying into places that serve alcohol is prohibited. It seems like CO is fine if you drink while carrying, just not be drunk. Google brought up several criminal defense attorney sites who note that if you get a DUI with a firearm in the vehicle, you get dinged for the weapon charge too. Lot to think about since I also read in CO .05% BAC is already a crime (driving while impaired).
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was originally looking up if carrying into places that serve alcohol is prohibited. It seems like CO is fine if you drink while carrying, just not be drunk. Google brought up several criminal defense attorney sites who note that if you get a DUI with a firearm in the vehicle, you get dinged for the weapon charge too. Lot to think about since I also read in CO .05% BAC is already a crime (driving while impaired).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the statute uses the word "intoxicated", and even though intoxicated is generally known to mean above a .10 BAC, in terms of driving it is .08.

When researching the issue, the only place I could find a definition for "intoxicated" in Colorado Revised Statutes is in Title 42 (Vehicles and Traffic), which is basically defined as .08 BAC. There are however, cops that will arrest you and probably DAs that will charge you for having any alcohol in your system while possessing a firearm.

An example I can give is that there are statutes against firing a gun into an occupied dwelling or vehicle. It's there for extra leverage against people doing stupid shit (think gangbangers) but won't get charged in a legitimate self-defense shooting.

In the end, don't do stupid shit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The wording in CRS is "under the influence."  There is no set definition for "under the influence" as it also includes pharmaceutical & recreational drugs (no weed & guns) and it entirely up to the discretion of the officers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the state
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome to the state
View Quote

Thanks! We love it,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top