Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 5:53:10 PM EDT
Bought a trust from 199trust last year and completed all the paperwork, notarized, etc.

On the SilencerCo site it says that in Colorado trusts need to be registered with a courthouse.  True?

Is this like the old days when they'd tell you to get a copy of your DD214 logged with the courthose?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a trust from 199trust last year and completed all the paperwork, notarized, etc.

On the SilencerCo site it says that in Colorado trusts need to be registered with a courthouse.  True?

Is this like the old days when they'd tell you to get a copy of your DD214 logged with the courthose?
View Quote

No such thing as registering ANYTHING with the courthouse, be it a Trust OR DD214. Why someone would tell you that is , well who knows.
Besides what does a courthouse have to do with a Trust , or your 214 ?
ALSO the only thing a notary needs to see when having you trust Notarize is. Your signature. They have no business asking or insisting they review what the document is.  IF they do speak to their manager.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, maybe not courthouse, but a file copy with the County Clerk maybe?

I know they told me to do this with my DD214 in case I ever lost my original, but that was before identity theft became so prevalent.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my trust from a local lawyer three years ago and he didn't say a word about registering with anyone.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know they told me to do this with my DD214 in case I ever lost my original, but that was before identity theft became so prevalent.
View Quote

Still No for either . If you were an LLC, that is filed with the Sec of State. You need to get clarification exactly "who told you and why".  It's one thing to suggest consulting a local attorney.  It's another to tell one something that is incorrect. If that's the case, what else are you being or not being told that correct?
Another reason i paid more to deal with a local entity, then some internet fast & low cash place.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
you *can* have virtually anything recorded by the county clerk in many states... not sure in CO

never heard of anyone recording a gun trust
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Still No for either . If you were an LLC, that is filed with the Sec of State. You need to get clarification exactly "who told you and why".  It's one thing to suggest consulting a local attorney.  It's another to tell one something that is incorrect. If that's the case, what else are you being or not being told that correct?
Another reason i paid more to deal with a local entity, then some internet fast & low cash place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "who told me and why" is the Guns and Ammo Suppressor magazine, on p65: "According to the instructions available on the Easytrust website (which is what SilencerCo uses), a few states - including Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Michigan, Missouri and North Dakota - require that the trust be recorded at a courthouse."
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked into it after reading that a month or so ago. I'll have to try and find the information again. I believe it was an archived COHTF thread,but I found registration of a revocable living trust was not required in Colorado until the grantor's death and no registration would be required then if all trust property is distributed to the beneficiaries at that point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top