Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 2:38:56 PM EDT
The only gun show I've been to in probably over a decade was the one at the Douglas County fair grounds a few months ago.  It was interesting I guess, but small, and I didn't buy anything.  Handled a few things I guess, looked at some stuff I've thought about, realized I wanted some stuff I didn't know I needed, that sort of thing.

Thought about making the trip to the next Tanner show just because I've heard it's big, but I'm not sure I'm in the market much... I have a few things on my list, but haven't really budgeted anything.

Worth making the trip seeing it, or is it just a waste of time/resources?  Do they have much in the way of interesting (rare-ish, old military arms, etc)?  The show in Douglas County was mostly just off the shelf stuff, overpriced AR parts and no-name optics.  There were a couple gems, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, no. The only thing I have purchased from Tanner was a rifle bag and ammo cans......only because I felt I had to get something. Just about everything is cheap made in China/no name crap or overpriced stuff. I think with the internet now gun shows are gonna be a thing of the past. I did get a great deal on a high quality AR from the show at the Douglas County Fairgrounds a little over a year ago, but that was from a guy that was sitting by the exit with a for sale sign....not from a vendor. Just my thoughts/experience.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that sounds like what I expected.  The internet is the ruiner of things.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, TGS is a crapshoot. The only thing I've ever bought out of the several times I've gone were stripper clips. Some guy was cleaning up and didn't want to deal with them so I bought all of them for whatever cash I had in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, if you want mil spec Chinese airsoft shit, Dream Catchers, Beef Jerky and stinky/rude people that's where it's at!
Sundays can be OK though, sometimes guys will bring their stripper girlfriends out for a trashy trophy walk.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
It's nice to fondle a lot of pistols in one place.  Outside of that I wouldnt bother.  My drive is 30 ish minutes each way and that factors into my answer.  I'd probably stop in more often if it was up the street from my house.    
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It's good to go to once. After that it's the same crap over and over and over and over. Bought a real nice target stand from Cittac out of UT this summer though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I can post an ad on Craigslist specifying "cash only," read a bunch of Armslist ads, and get some beef jerky at the 7-11, and get the same experience minus the Realtree-clad choking butt funk.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can post an ad on Craigslist specifying "cash only," read a bunch of Armslist ads, and get some beef jerky at the 7-11, and get the same experience minus the Realtree-clad choking butt funk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Tanner is a great place to go to find an overpriced 60 year old no-brand 16 gauge break open that's been sitting in a shed for 40 years.

Or a box of Federal 550 .22 for $60.

Or a Jennings 32 for $350.

Or a $600 used G19.

Or Chinese Airsoft chest rigs for 5.11 prices.

If it weren't for a mag limit, there would be 10 tables selling USGI surplus mags for $20 a pop.

You get the picture.  I haven't found anything cool there for a few years.  I would go again to waste time if I didn't feel like the $10 for the door charge would be better spent on getting a homeless guy downtown to sing Barbara Streisand.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Or a $600 used G19.
View Quote

The first time I went to TGS someone tried to sell me their "upgraded" g19 for $600 because they put skateboard tape on the grip and ran 1000 rounds through it so it "didn't need to be broken in anymore"

It also only came with one magazine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much sucks...However I have found deals there. For instance, I picked up 5 hk marked mags (parkerized but work fine) with a pouch for 60$. I found 2 HK marked mp5 mag clamps for 10$ apiece, which I snatched fairly quick. Next time I went back, the seller had them marked up to 80$ apiece. I also picked up a 500$ ACOG, sent it back to Trijicon and they swapped the reticle for me, and it still less than a new one...:)
Most of the shit though is low quality crap, no one has decent optics, mostly Chinese crap.  If they do, its like one or two Eotechs.... So, with that said, I go maybe once a year, it's nothing compared to the Texas gun shows though....
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pretty much sucks...However I have found deals there. For instance, I picked up 5 hk marked mags (parkerized but work fine) with a pouch for 60$. I found 2 HK marked mp5 mag clamps for 10$ apiece, which I snatched fairly quick. Next time I went back, the seller had them marked up to 80$ apiece. I also picked up a 500$ ACOG, sent it back to Trijicon and they swapped the reticle for me, and it still less than a new one...:)
Most of the shit though is low quality crap, no one has decent optics, mostly Chinese crap.  If they do, its like one or two Eotechs.... So, with that said, I go maybe once a year, it's nothing compared to the Texas gun shows though....
View Quote

One out of every ten times I'll find something good.

Like one of the pawns that I bought a 65' 1100 from.  Or a cherry Colt 1903 for $250 that no one knew what it was.

It's EXTREMELY rare, though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After yesterdays Terrorist attack. The only rare item will be parking.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everybody has to load up on their 20% over retail Tauruses while they can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking for some hi-capacity beef jerky. It's for the children
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's about the only thing I can justify buying there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Tazers....you all forgot about the tazers.    
"Original Boys in the Hood" KKK t-shirts (not joking), rude multicam clad vendors, crappy parking, $400 cases of Tula 7.62 x 39, $8 cover charge......what's not to like.

I still may go, dunno why.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven't gone in a few years. There used to be a vendor with some good prices on ammo. Never bought a gun there though. When I first started going I was looking to get a Garand. But damn if every Garand at every show wasn't an all original, verified and documented rifle used on the Normandy beach on D Day. At least that seemed to be what everyone that was selling one said. You can imagine the prices on these "historic" rifles.  Best deal I ever got was for a black Leatherman Wave, NIB for $40.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the powder situation at TGS? The hazmat charges are killing me on online powder orders. I was thinking about going there to buy powder and avoid the hazmat charges. Is there a decent selection there and reasonable prices? Or anybody want to IM me the name of a brick and mortar store on the Front Range that carries a decent selection of powders?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's the powder situation at TGS? The hazmat charges are killing me on online powder orders. I was thinking about going there to buy powder and avoid the hazmat charges. Is there a decent selection there and reasonable prices? Or anybody want to IM me the name of a brick and mortar store on the Front Range that carries a decent selection of powders?
View Quote
Ive been able to get a few LBS of power here and there at this shop

http://thereloadingzone.com/
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Jordan!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get 1 or 2 other reloaders to kick in and order from Powder Valley, Graffs, Widners or other reloading supplier.  It's worth your time, depending on your location. I'm usually interested in another 3-4K primers or 4+ lbs of powder
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]
My son and I went to TGS on Saturday.  Got there early, thinking to beat the crowds....not!  Picked up a few last parts to finish my latest AR build.  There are always the core vendors, with the rest being what I would call "other stuff":  Candles, jerky, hot sauce, etc.  There was a guy that was selling something that looked like otter pops....some kind of relaxation aid?  I don't know....looked silly to me.  Powder was too much; guns were over priced; there were a few good ammo deals, but had to look hard.  22lr ammo was waaaay over priced ($50-60/500!). I always ask the vendors how the show is going and they ALL bitch about the tire kickers not buying anything.  Wonder why!  Won't be going back anytime soon!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top