Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2015 2:39:50 PM EDT
I'm new to the Denver area, and wanted to see what the locals know about a few auto repair shops in town.  Looking at Hotshots automotive in Centennial,  Kens auto service in Aurora and Good Hands auto service in Aurora.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been taking my Xterra to Pro Import Automotive.  They've been doing very good work and I've never been upcharged for parts.

7667 E Iliff Ave, Denver, CO 80231
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The owner, chief, cook, and bottle-washer of Bavarian Motors LLC is a member here.

He's worked on my Toyota a couple of times too. I'm at the far end of the D from him and he's still the first one I'd call.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The owner, chief, cook, and bottle-washer of Bavarian Motors LLC is a member here.

He's worked on my Toyota a couple of times too. I'm at the far end of the D from him and he's still the first one I'd call.
View Quote

Wow, looks like exactly what i need

Tried going to other places, they wont work on my car, don't have the right tools, will try this place, thanks for recommending this
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be teamleader?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
have used bavarian motors on several non kraut cars--still does great work
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Must be teamleader?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be teamleader?

Yup.  That is me.  As long as you are not bringing me a Nissan we can talk.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought it was you.  I actually work in the auto repair field as well, tmleader may remember that, or may not, as it's been a while since we chatted about the business.  I had several offers from shops up there, and wanted to see if there was any negative rep on any of those shops.  I'm not a Bavarian, or euro kind of guy period, so tmleader can have them all, lol
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Online reviews. You can tell a lot about a shop by their negative reviews or if they have any.  If they don't have any, they haven't been in business very long.  I have three negative reviews.  All of which bug me a little but there was not going to be a way to make any of those three happy with the outcome.  If I was being picky about getting a new job I would be looking at that and checking out the location.  How clean is it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cool, I have an 82 Datsun Sentra that needs some TLC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be teamleader?

Yup.  That is me.  As long as you are not bringing me a Nissan we can talk.

Cool, I have an 82 Datsun Sentra that needs some TLC

No.  Just no.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]
You could try my shop if you want as long as you leave your VW's at home.

http://www.checkpoint-automotive.com/

Don't forget the secret hand shake.

ETA:
Never heard of Hotshots, Kens is GTG. I would stay away from Good Hands.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could try my shop if you want as long as you leave your VW's at home.

http://www.checkpoint-automotive.com/

Don't forget the secret hand shake.

ETA:
Never heard of Hotshots, Kens is GTG. I would stay away from Good Hands.
View Quote

Didn't get a good vibe off good hands, so my instincts were right apparently.  Kens seemed ok, just going to be a bit of a drive for me.  Hotshots is down in Centennial, practically Parker.  There was Bighorn in Parker, but I passed on it too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are looking for a general repair shop to get into you are picking a hell of a time to do it, most shops see a serious slow down right now.  I know I am.  Hell I have a Jeep on a lift right now.  Shudder.  

I really haven't worked at many different shops here in town.  Ellis car care at Mississippi is decent if they are hiring.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
It's that way everywhere, whether I stayed where I was at, or not.  I know a couple of places said they were flooded with applications, but they quickly narrowed the list down.  Funny, I actually had several ask for pics of my box and tools, and license and certs this time.  Guess there's been a few incidents of guys claiming to have so many certs and tools, and when it came down to it, they had nothing, just another hobbyist trying to be something they aren't.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's that way everywhere, whether I stayed where I was at, or not.  I know a couple of places said they were flooded with applications, but they quickly narrowed the list down.  Funny, I actually had several ask for pics of my box and tools, and license and certs this time.  Guess there's been a few incidents of guys claiming to have so many certs and tools, and when it came down to it, they had nothing, just another hobbyist trying to be something they aren't.
View Quote

That is odd.  I was looking for months to find someone to come on as an apprentice at my shop.  Finally went to the National Guard and hired someone there.  

And she came on with NO tools.  I am supplying all her tools for now.  

But when I was considering journeyman techs I was asking how much in tools, what type of box, and what type of experience.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
20+yrs, well over 50k in tools and it takes three picture frames for all my certs, lol.  Also am seeing more and more reluctance to hire some of the younger guys these days.  Don't know if you have seen it, but a lot of the younger techs have a different attitude about things, to put it nicely.  Fresh out of school, top pay wanted, freak out when you can't hook a scan tool to a vehicle, and drawers of specialty tools that they don't understand how to use.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

20+yrs, well over 50k in tools and it takes three picture frames for all my certs, lol.  Also am seeing more and more reluctance to hire some of the younger guys these days.  Don't know if you have seen it, but a lot of the younger techs have a different attitude about things, to put it nicely.  Fresh out of school, top pay wanted, freak out when you can't hook a scan tool to a vehicle, and drawers of specialty tools that they don't understand how to use.
View Quote

LOL.  I am one of those new kids.  Been doing this since 2007.  Except I know how to read an OScope.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL.  I am one of those new kids.  Been doing this since 2007.  Except I know how to read an OScope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you're one of the 20-somethings?lol.  The two guys I worked with at one shop, one was 28, the other was 33, both former domestic dealer boys, had no clue how to use a scope, or even the thousands of things you can use one for.  One whined a lot about how unfair auto repair is to the tech, the other bragged about being some world class dealer tech.  Didn't mean jack when he had to work on an X5!  We had a WJ, 99-04 G Cherokee come in with an electrical issue.  Was burning up the harness to the alternator whenever he hooked it up after having it bench tested.  Towed it in, and thankfully I was given it.  Checked the battery, weak but at least the polarity was correct.  Checked alternator resistance with the cable unplugged and was a whopping .1ohm.  Started it up and had 12v at the alt cable stud, red lead on alt, black lead on positive terminal of battery.  Pretty easy to diag and fix, but one of the "kids" just had to ask, if I knew how to test the alternator on it.   I looked at him and said I was checking these things before he heard what pubes were.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh you're one of the 20-somethings?lol.  The two guys I worked with at one shop, one was 28, the other was 33, both former domestic dealer boys, had no clue how to use a scope, or even the thousands of things you can use one for.  One whined a lot about how unfair auto repair is to the tech, the other bragged about being some world class dealer tech.  Didn't mean jack when he had to work on an X5!  We had a WJ, 99-04 G Cherokee come in with an electrical issue.  Was burning up the harness to the alternator whenever he hooked it up after having it bench tested.  Towed it in, and thankfully I was given it.  Checked the battery, weak but at least the polarity was correct.  Checked alternator resistance with the cable unplugged and was a whopping .1ohm.  Started it up and had 12v at the alt cable stud, red lead on alt, black lead on positive terminal of battery.  Pretty easy to diag and fix, but one of the "kids" just had to ask, if I knew how to test the alternator on it.   I looked at him and said I was checking these things before he heard what pubes were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask him if he could lend a hand setting dwell on your 71 pick up. Then hand him a timing light.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol, naw, he probably wouldn't know what to do.  I never had to in my lifetime either for that matter, but at least I know what it is!  Same guys look dumbfounded when I condemned a starter that everyone else said was good, especially when I was able to tell them what was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Lol, naw, he probably wouldn't know what to do.  I never had to in my lifetime either for that matter, but at least I know what it is!  Same guys look dumbfounded when I condemned a starter that everyone else said was good, especially when I was able to tell them what was wrong.
View Quote

I can do the timing light part.  Points and dwell not so much.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Points, just like carbs, never wasted my time trying to occupy memory space for.   Fuel injection conversions, electronic ignition conversions, etc are where it's at on those now, unless you're truly hung up on keeping something original.  Lot better, and easier money to be made on FI setups, and with the new DI setups.  You don't look that young on your site, doubt you're like the 20somethings out there, but you know where the money is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Points, just like carbs, never wasted my time trying to occupy memory space for.   Fuel injection conversions, electronic ignition conversions, etc are where it's at on those now, unless you're truly hung up on keeping something original.  Lot better, and easier money to be made on FI setups, and with the new DI setups.  You don't look that young on your site, doubt you're like the 20somethings out there, but you know where the money is.
View Quote

Late thirties.  But did a few other things first before getting into automotive.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
We're close in age, you just did the detour into the service, where I never did.  Those millennial gen techs are the ones everyone seems to comment about.  Looks like I'll be working a few miles straight east of you as the crow flies.  I know they don't work on euro stuff as a rule
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I must have found one of the rare 20 something techs.   I own a Volvo specialty shop and was looking for a honest young guy I could mentor.

This kid brought his Mom's S40 in for a couple things he couldn't fix.    We talked for a few minutes and I was taken aback at how well spoken and respectful he was.   He mentioned he just got out of Lincoln Tech and wanted to start in the industry.  

I interviewed him, took him to lunch and threw it all at him.  He seemed nervous, but was willing to try.  I hired him a few days later.  

Our shop is small and very specialized and super busy.  I knew I would be teaching him a specific skill (Volvo cars) as he already had the "book/theoretical" background.  

Three years later, we've increased his salary 50% as he's more than earned it.  (no flat rate here) I have no problem throwing something difficult at him.  He can handle it, if he doesn't know, he will ASK.   Humility is the most important trait in this business.  As my old man used to say "sometimes ya gotta punt".  

I've met a few of his "car" friends and I can say they could all work for me.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top