Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2015 9:20:04 PM EDT
i was hoping somebody could give me a referral or link to the place where i could read colorado law or code regarding non resident concealment, if any, of weapons.

i was told by several folks i asked that as a land owner in CO but a resident of IA i could apply for a non resident permit that would allow concealed carry.  when my dad was out at his CO place earlier this month the fremont county sheriff told him that wasn't true, but wasn't able to cite code or law.

have i been misinformed, or did i misunderstand something here?  any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

michael

FREE COLORADO!

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an Iowa permit if you are a resident of Iowa.  Colorado has reciprocity with Iowa.  You have to be a resident of Colorado in order to apply for a Colorado permit, with the exception being active duty military stationed in Colorado and their immediate family members.

CBI CHP Reciprocity

Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Statutes
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i was hoping somebody could give me a referral or link to the place where i could read colorado law or code regarding non resident concealment, if any, of weapons.

i was told by several folks i asked that as a land owner in CO but a resident of IA i could apply for a non resident permit that would allow concealed carry.  when my dad was out at his CO place earlier this month the fremont county sheriff told him that wasn't true, but wasn't able to cite code or law.

have i been misinformed, or did i misunderstand something here?  any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

You can get a non-resident CCW permit from any number of states.  Colorado does not recognize non-resident permits for purposes of reciprocity.

The only permits Colorado recognizes for carry within Colorado are Colorado permits for Colorado residents (or PCS military in Colorado), and reciprocity state permits, for residents of the state which issued that permit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
OK...  gotcha.

i was given bad information by a sheriff.  i knew i should have read the colorado law and/or code.

i have an IA permit to carry.  i knew CO offered reciprocity.  however...  i was informed by a sheriff that while my IA permit was valid in CO, it was ONLY valid for the purposes of OPEN CARRY.  then he went onto say i could attain a colorado non resident permit so i could conceal while in CO.  i think he got some things mixed up.  if i understand the law correctly, you can legally open carry without a permit unless disallowed by law/code in certain areas.  at least i thought i read that correctly.

so essentially, with an IA permit that is valid i can conceal when in CO just like at home.

sorry for the confusion guys.  i knew better than to take the word of a fellow without reading it myself, so that was why i raised the question.  

THANK YOU!

-michael
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You got the open carry right. Its an issue because places like Denver county have islands of jurisdiction you wouldn't believe.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to hijack a thread, but it sounds like I'm out of luck carrying in Colorado?
I'm licensed in NY, currently have Non-resident permits for Florida, Utah, Penn and Arizona. I'm planning an upcoming trip to Arizona and checked the US carry map and it seems I'm SOL with Colorado?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to hijack a thread, but it sounds like I'm out of luck carrying in Colorado?
I'm licensed in NY, currently have Non-resident permits for Florida, Utah, Penn and Arizona. I'm planning an upcoming trip to Arizona and checked the US carry map and it seems I'm SOL with Colorado?
View Quote

Correct.  However, you can still carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit in Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK...  gotcha.

i was given bad information by a sheriff.  i knew i should have read the colorado law and/or code.

i have an IA permit to carry.  i knew CO offered reciprocity.  however...  i was informed by a sheriff that while my IA permit was valid in CO, it was ONLY valid for the purposes of OPEN CARRY.  then he went onto say i could attain a colorado non resident permit so i could conceal while in CO.  i think he got some things mixed up.  if i understand the law correctly, you can legally open carry without a permit unless disallowed by law/code in certain areas.  at least i thought i read that correctly.

so essentially, with an IA permit that is valid i can conceal when in CO just like at home.

sorry for the confusion guys.  i knew better than to take the word of a fellow without reading it myself, so that was why i raised the question.  

THANK YOU!

-michael
View Quote

Never ask a cop.  That's not a cop hating statement, I've simply lost track of number of times I've heard people get wrong information from police officers about the law. If you want answers, read the law yourself, then consult an attorney if you still have questions.

Also, yes your IA permit is valid here, but make sure you understand CO cc law, because it may differ from IA law.  You must follow the laws of the state you are in, yada yada yada.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never ask a cop.  That's not a cop hating statement, I've simply lost track of number of times I've heard people get wrong information from police officers about the law. If you want answers, read the law yourself, then consult an attorney if you still have questions.

Also, yes your IA permit is valid here, but make sure you understand CO cc law, because it may differ from IA law.  You must follow the laws of the state you are in, yada yada yada.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...  gotcha.

THANK YOU!

-michael

yup.  i'm with ya...

i don't mind asking anyone, within reason.  but before i going zipping around i prefer to see the written word if you know what i mean...  

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Www.handgunlaw.us
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Correct.  However, you can still carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit in Colorado.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another question from a NY resident who has Arizona and NH as non-res permits.

I understand I am not able to conceal carry, as NY does not reciprocate with CO so in return CO doesn't acknowledge NY...  But can I legally open carry?

I will be in the woods on an archery hunting trip and the purpose for carry would be for personal protection.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to go with OC, except within city/county of Denver.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you!

We will be well north of Denver, not to far south of Wyoming.

One more question...

Do you know if its OK to carry it in my hunting pack/ hiking pack if its unloaded and in a small case?  As in you can't get to it without taking your pack of and digging it out?

Again thank you guys!
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you!

One more question...

Do you know if its OK to carry it in my hunting pack/ hiking pack if its unloaded and in a small case?  As in you can't get to it without taking your pack of and digging it out?

Again thank you guys!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

One more question...

Again thank you guys!

?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Unloaded and cased is fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
dupe
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Resurrecting the thread to summarize. I'll be visiting CO this summer and want to make sure I understand the law as CO doesn't recognize my state's permit.

No CO permit is required to:

• Carry in your vehicle, open or concealed, anywhere in the state;

• Open carry statewide, except in Denver, on public transportation, and the usual prohibited places such as schools, post office, etc.

A large-capacity magazine (greater that 15 rounds) is OK if it was owned prior to July, 1 2013.

Have I missed or misinterpreted anything?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Resurrecting the thread to summarize. I'll be visiting CO this summer and want to make sure I understand the law as CO doesn't recognize my state's permit.

• Open carry statewide, except in Denver, on public transportation, and the usual prohibited places such as schools, post office, etc.

A large-capacity magazine (greater that 15 rounds) is OK if it was owned prior to July, 1 2013.

View Quote

Correct. HOWEVER i'd be hesitant to OC. While legal. The ability of some LE's to grasp one's right to do so. let alone the SJW's OUTRAGE may cause you more headaches than one want's to deal with.

What state are you from CO does not recognize?  Where you planning on visiting etc?   NoCo has some public and membership only ranges. I'm a member of one that has steel out to 1K, if you'd like to get some trigger time.

One more item. THANK YOU for actually doing some research prior to posting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The way I understand it is open carry or have a CO permit.  All our mags are 10 or less coming from NY so I can't help you there...

~This coming from a NY resident who holds NY, NH, and AZ permits...

ETA/ I am going on a week+ long elk archery hunt and plan to bring my side arm.  For protections purposes...  No stops though, straight through to our departure location and into the woods for a while so its not like I am going to be strolling around shopping centers etc.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK...  gotcha.

i was given bad information by a sheriff.  

-michael
View Quote

Shocking
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Correct. HOWEVER i'd be hesitant to OC. While legal. The ability of some LE's to grasp one's right to do so. let alone the SJW's OUTRAGE may cause you more headaches than one want's to deal with.

What state are you from CO does not recognize?  Where you planning on visiting etc?   NoCo has some public and membership only ranges. I'm a member of one that has steel out to 1K, if you'd like to get some trigger time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim. We'll be in the CO Springs area over a weekend for a wedding. Then heading west to visit the Utah National Parks. I rarely open carry other than when I'm in the wilderness. I'm not looking to make a statement. I'll probably just leave it in the car rather that attract undue attention.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim. We'll be in the CO Springs area over a weekend for a wedding. Then heading west to visit the Utah National Parks. I rarely open carry other than when I'm in the wilderness. I'm not looking to make a statement. I'll probably just leave it in the car rather that attract undue attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to be in CO Springs, just Conceal anyway.  No one here cares.  No one is standing around, waiting to spot someone carrying and demand to see your permit.

Leaving it in your car is more dangerous than concealing it, thieves are busy in this town.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

In correct on open carry. It's not protected in this state and is up to the municipalities to regulate there are several cities that have bans on it. Most are in the Denver area but some are in the country. Some are implied but not enforced. It's a mess denver is the only one who will outright charge anyone that I know of

Also keep in mind that denver city and county has several odd peninsulas and islands of territory even the locals hardly know about.

Denver also has a 20 round mag limit Reguardless of when they were purchased but it's only been enforced for residents of Denver. There might still be an exception for the pre 1994 registered owners. They've changed this several times.

Any means of conveyance. Vehicles. Horse. Bicycles etc

Rifles and shotguns in a vehicle cannot be chambered. Muzzle loaders cannot be primed

No permit needed to conceal while in the act of legally hunting.  

No permit needed to conceal on private property with permission from the owner. This includes buisinesses and any place you've rented i.e. hotel room but not common areas.

No duty to inform leo but it is considered courteous to do so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you're going to be in CO Springs, just Conceal anyway.  No one here cares.  No one is standing around, waiting to spot someone carrying and demand to see your permit.

Leaving it in your car is more dangerous than concealing it, thieves are busy in this town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sound reasoning. Doing so worst case is a misdemeanor unless it's a school k-12
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, I'm not straight suggesting anyone break the law, but its not like we are in California or New York
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top