Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2015 4:26:39 PM EDT
I'm moving there in Feb coming from N. Dakota.  Our snow is most always powdery but can drift like a bitch.  In the spring we may get a wet snow but only once or twice.  I have a single stage thrower that works great on 1 foot of powder but 4" of heavy wet shit it doesn't do much.  Should I bring it with or trade it for a 2 stage or do I even need a snow blower?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm moving there in Feb coming from N. Dakota.  Our snow is most always powdery but can drift like a bitch.  In the spring we may get a wet snow but only once or twice.  I have a single stage thrower that works great on 1 foot of powder but 4" of heavy wet shit it doesn't do much.  Should I bring it with or trade it for a 2 stage or do I even need a snow blower?
View Quote

Maybe one year in five or so you'd get real use out of a snowblower here in the Springs.  Usual pattern is a couple inches at a time that's more suitable for shoveling than blowing or plowing.

I happen to have northern exposure on my driveway and sidewalk, which means if I don't shovel it pronto it gets packed into ice and sticks around some, while my neighbors across the street almost never have to shovel at all - the sun makes it go away from the street, sidewalk and driveways in a day or two.

Springs has a city ordinance requiring you to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house, at least, within 24 hrs of fresh snowfall, but there hasn't been a lot of money for code enforcement to come around and check up on it, and I've never seen a ticket issued for not doing it in the 20 years I've lived here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure a longer term resident will chime in but I've only needed my single stage once or twice for the past two winters here just north of Denver.

I spent three winters in ND and couldn't believe the lack of accumulation. I guess the saying was true that's it's too cold to snow. The winter before I got there was the recent bad one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much what Circuits said about snow in the Springs.  However, if the big El Nino turns out as predicted we can get some big snows.  It is typically dry snow here during winter; we can get some wet snow in fall and spring.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty much what Circuits said about snow in the Springs.  However, if the big El Nino turns out as predicted we can get some big snows. It is typically dry snow here during winter; we can get some wet snow in fall and spring.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll bring it with me and only put a quart of gas in it at a time.  Holy crap am I excited to move there!
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found that you can easily move most snow here with a *leaf* blower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have found that you can easily move most snow here with a *leaf* blower.
View Quote

Some days, others you wait for the neighbors uncle with his front end loader.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Leaf blower huh? Ive lived in Colorado my whole life and yes it snows a lot. Colorado is very unpredictable when it comes to weather. Bad info here, yes a snow blower will pay for itself. Almost everyone in the mountains has a truck with a plow or a 4wheeler with a plow.

Come use your leaf blower on this I could use a good laugh. That's a SUV covered in snow.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Leaf blower huh? Ive lived in Colorado my whole life and yes it snows a lot. Colorado is very unpredictable when it comes to weather. Bad info here, yes a snow blower will pay for itself. Almost everyone in the mountains has a truck with a plow or a 4wheeler with a plow.

Come use your leaf blower on this I could use a good laugh. That's a SUV covered in snow.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b514/trav1984/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120203_121304_zpszfejqojm.jpg

View Quote

In Colorado Springs? Granted, the front range can get crazy storms, but it isn't often that one would be needed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't like shoveling and like a clean driveway/sidewalk then a small size snow blower is a handy tool to have here. I have a Toro, it makes quick work of all the snow we've gotten since moving here in Jan 2012.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In Colorado Springs? Granted, the front range can get crazy storms, but it isn't often that one would be needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b514/trav1984/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120203_121304_zpszfejqojm.jpg

1 wet heavy snow and everyone wants a snow blower.  We've had 2, sold 1 to upgrade to the electric start, whiz bang ,full tilt whirly gig unit. Ended up selling that one last year since it collected dust for 2 years. The only reason it collected dust was we have a 48"  plow on a riding mower.
Now That is the only way to go. Come spring off goes the blade. On goes the 42" mowing deck

The easy way to decide if you need a snow blower is this. Are you young and don't mind moving a few hundred pounds of snow, possibly 2 days in a row? OR are you like us in the "retirement" age group where even 1/2 hour of shoveling could set you back a week to heal up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honest question: have you ever actually shoveled heavy east coast snow?

The snowfall in your pic is not especially deep. I can think of at least three storms when I lived in Virginia that were deeper than that. And I assure you it was wetter and heavier than that.

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

I've cleared my driveway for 3 years here with a leaf blower. Have I seen the deepest snow that Colorado has to offer in my driveway? No. But nothing I've seen justifies a snow blower here. And I certainly get more snow in my AO than Colorado Springs does, as I'm on top of the Palmer Divide.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You make the call:

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#13]
 Uh huh

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]
An old Colorado saying comes to mind:

Winter's in Spring,
Summer's in Fall,
Fall's in Winter
And there's no Spring at all.

The Springs CAN get extreme weather, especially when we get an Albuquerque Low--a low pressure center to our south pulls moisture up, spiraling counterclockwise into the Front Range from the east--a classic upslope storm.  That's when we get the real blizzards.  Fortunately, they're rather uncommon (knock on wood!).  I've mentioned the Oct 15, 1984 blizzard before, it snowed three feet here in the Springs, I heard it was four feet deep out at Fort Carson.  We had another in '97, IIRC, hit on a Friday night.  I got up the next morning to find snow blocking my front door, even with the gutters!  Once I broke through it, though, I discovered that half my front yard was bare.  It drifted like crazy.  I think that was the storm that resulted in a death, a driver stranded out on Marksheffel Road.

OP will find that if this winter follows the usual pattern, though, it will be mostly sunny and relatively mild.  There will be snow, but the sun will come back the next day and the snow will vanish.  The key, though, is to be prepared--it can happen, and occasionally will.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been here 5 years and no need for a snowblower yet. Although it can snow a decent amount. I have a north-facing driveway which sucks! I think we got more snow than average last year because I was shoveling a lot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
After living in VA for 30 years and shoveling the wet snow it flat out sucks.  Do you need a snowblower here, probably not unless something prevents you from shoveling snow (bad back, old age).  Do you WANT a snowblower is the question.  I personally have no issues shoveling snow but have a snowblower because sometimes I don't want to shovel it when its over 12" deep or if I'm in a hurry before work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't worry OP, there won't be any snow in town this year.

Because I went to Sierra Trading Post grand opening sale and bought snowshoes

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#18]
OP have you picked out a place to live yet?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
You could do us a favor and move back

Quoted:

The snowfall in your pic is not especially deep. I can think of at least three storms when I lived in Virginia that were deeper than that. And I assure you it was wetter and heavier than that.

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/64306b73.jpg

I've cleared my driveway for 3 years here with a leaf blower. Have I seen the deepest snow that Colorado has to offer in my driveway? No. But nothing I've seen justifies a snow blower here. And I certainly get more snow in my AO than Colorado Springs does, as I'm on top of the Palmer Divide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 9 years.  South-facing driveway is absolutely essential.  With a south facing driveway, I think I only shoveled snow 2-3 times a year because the sun would melt it all off before 9am 95% of the time.  

That said, depending on your age, physical health, and of course the size and location of your driveway, you may want to keep the snowblower.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

who the fuck are you?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
who the fuck are you?

I'll tell you--a mouthy out of state idiot.  

Quoted:

who the fuck are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

who the fuck are you?

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
C'mon guys. This is not how civilized beings interact with each other.
Who cares if he used to live in Virginia? Stuff is different.
I've lived in Colorado for most of my life, and the snow is USUALLY drier snow and not the wet heavy snow. Big deal. No need to argue with someone about.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

who the fuck are you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

who the fuck are you?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's 38" of wet stuff:

who the fuck are you?

You know, really not nice.  Would you rather more CA residents come here and vote more the way you DONT agree with or more like minded people who are more likely to vote the way you do.  

Also, you seem to have forgotten this is not GD.  And even in GD that would be pretty close to the line if not over it.  

The VA transplant is good in my book.  You, not so much.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know, really not nice.  Would you rather more CA residents come here and vote more the way you DONT agree with or more like minded people who are more likely to vote the way you do.  

Also, you seem to have forgotten this is not GD.  And even in GD that would be pretty close to the line if not over it.  

View Quote

NoVaGator is GTG. In fact, it seems many of the members of this site that have done the most for our in state guns rights, are transplants from another state...
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
NoVaGator is GTG. In fact, it seems many of the members of this site that have done the most for our in state guns rights, are transplants from another state...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know NoVaGator if I am thinking of the right person and I agree.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Did it even snow in springs?  Not where I live in it, for all practical purposes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did it even snow in springs?  Not where I live in it, for all practical purposes.
View Quote

An inch or so on the east side of town.  Several inches on the north side.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP have you picked out a place to live yet?
View Quote

Not yet.  We wont actually move there until end of Feb.  The average high on our RNLTD is over 20 degrees warmer down there from where I'm moving from.  Instant spring!  We are really looking forward to this move.  Hopefully it will be our last.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Elbert checking in with at least a foot of snow. Drifts from 3-5 feet. Still not dug out. A couple of more hours worth of shoveling and then off to the store for a snowblower.

I blame the OP.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#31]
We got about 6" of snow on the east side, but it decreased as you went south. My buddy up north got 9", and Monument I think got about 1 foot of snow. It warmed up yesterday and it's already above freezing today, so I expect much of the snow on the roads will be melted tomorrow, and on the lawns will be melted in a couple more days.

The winds were so fierce that we had 0-30" of snow because of drifts in the front yard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I had six to eight inches at my place on the east side, but it drifted quite a bit.  Once the storm broke Tuesday afternoon, it warmed up and the wind blew most of the snow was gone that afternoon.  The drift is still in my yard, but it's shrinking.  The road, sidewalks and driveway melted off too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought one of those power brooms for the usual couple inches of powder we get.
I still want a snowblower because my back sucks and this storm put a 3 foot drift across my driveway. It's over 4 on the grass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I used a Manplow for this storm... worked like a champ.

http://www.manplow.com/

highly recommended
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Keeping track of this thread as it is on the list of potential places to move and I would hate to be someplace with a harsh winter and no snow to have fun in.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I had over 2 to 3 feet of snow in Las Animas County. Even TSJC (the gunsmithing school) closed on Tuesday because of the snowfall.  For the roads the county or state have to clear, they were on top of it muy pronto.  For me I have some road that isn't maintain except by yours truly either through pick axe/shovel or $$$.   It was sure fun chaining up to get home today.    Funny but right in the next county over (Huerfano) had only 4" of snow.  The trade off is because they right at a gap in the Sangre di Cristo Mountains, the Huerfano county seat of Walsenburg is super windy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1/+1000 from all I know/remember!   I'm really getting tired of the stupidity from some that know nothing...

B2

Back to snow/CO:

Normal CO SNOW (aka, 'POW') = No problem w/ a broom/leaf blower or even a shovel and the reason we love to ski -- HOWEVER, the occasional wet stuff sucks!

I'm a 4th Gen native and bought an AC for the house many years ago and JUST bought a little Toro electric blower after 2 hours of shoveling fun with wet drifts.  We'll see, feel wimpy, but I/we ain't getting younger...

ALSO, 'transplants' ALWAYS want to plant flowers/do yard-work in the normal "nice spring days" of March on the front-range -- BEWARE, Be-Aware of APR/MAY through at least Mother's Day!  

(NoVaGator:  IM is full/tried to email -- Please contact me when available; THX.)

ETA:  Darrellbear  -- Same; I'll try e-mail, but I am taking IMs to this point.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I live 4 miles east of I-25 in Monument. We got about 20" of snow from the last storm last Tuesday. This is a photo of what we got, while I don't think C-Springs 15 miles away got much of anything.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#39]
For those who don't know. It can snow , rain, hail storm,  down the block or for that matter across the street and Never touch your property.  We one more than 1 occasion would watch it rain down the block and not a drop on us. This one hail storm in saudia aurora bafor there was a paved smokey hill rd. We sat there watching a hail storm across the street. Crazy shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top