Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:20:59 PM EDT
I'm looking for a good place to go offroading for the first time that is still reasonably close to Denver. From my research I found these two trail and was wondering if they would be doable for a first timer? btw I drive a stock '96 Land Cruiser. Any other advice about what to bring, or trails, or just general offroading stuff would be great too!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Go over to http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forum.php and hit the trail talk forum.  Lots of good folks on that board.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go over to http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forum.php and hit the trail talk forum.  Lots of good folks on that board.

View Quote

Thanks for the advice! Just made an account, hopefully it gets approved soon!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Trail Damage for good info on trails.

Personally I have never done those trails before but I hear they are pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Personally I have never done those trails before but I hear they are pretty easy.
View Quote

If you are an experienced off-road driver and know your vehicle well, I would say you could take any stock 4x4 vehicle with good all-terrain tires on any trail rated by traildamage.com at a 4 or under.

Vehicles like:  Stock Jeeps, Half-ton Trucks, Some 3/4 ton trucks, Tacomas, Rangers, 4Runner, Land Rover, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you are an experienced off-road driver and know your vehicle well, I would say you could take any stock 4x4 vehicle with good all-terrain tires on any trail rated by traildamage.com at a 4 or under.

Vehicles like:  Stock Jeeps, Half-ton Trucks, Some 3/4 ton trucks, Tacomas, Rangers, 4Runner, Land Rover, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So until I get some more experience, I should probably stick to 3s?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hedging my bets and speaking very conservatively.  I don't want someone to come back here and be like "Dude...  you said these trails were no problem and I went on one and got stuck, tore up my ride, and had a five digit tow bill to get my truck off the mountain."

Personally, I would take my bone stock F150 Fx4 screw on any trail rated 5 or under.  A stock jeep on 35's I would take on any trail rated 7 or under (but drive very conservatively and perhaps bypass the harder stuff).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm hedging my bets and speaking very conservatively.  I don't want someone to come back here and be like "Dude...  you said these trails were no problem and I went on one and got stuck, tore up my ride, and had a five digit tow bill to get my truck off the mountain."

Personally, I would take my bone stock F150 Fx4 screw on any trail rated 5 or under.  A stock jeep on 35's I would take on any trail rated 7 or under (but drive very conservatively and perhaps bypass the harder stuff).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally understand. I'd like to keep my car totally intact, but if I do screw up, it's my fault alone. I think I'll go try Kingston Peak tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how it went, good or bad. (Hopefully good)
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I live on the way to Kingston via Mammoth gulch.

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't quite go to plan, but nothing broke, so it was a success! I got kinda lost on Yankee Hill so I didn't make it to Kingston Peak but we did find a good shooting spot so I was glad I brought some guns and my steel target. Thanks for the advice everybody, I plan on exploring the area more in the future. And a big thanks to berto187 for offering to help me out if I needed it!

Somebody was poppin' pmags!

Goobers
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice, looks like the weather was beautiful
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Try Pickle Gulch sometime.  It's off of 119 north of Central City, so fairly easy access from Denver.  Nice trail from the standpoint that it has a couple of short, but challenging sections, and decent scenary.  Worst spots can be bypassed, but are doable in stock / mildly modded jeeps so your LC should be ok.  Be forewarned though, you might run into people in heavily modified rigs who are babying things a bit on this trail.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw that one when I was looking for trails, looks promising! I might try it weekend after next, going to a rockies game this weekend!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Try Pickle Gulch sometime.  It's off of 119 north of Central City, so fairly easy access from Denver.  Nice trail from the standpoint that it has a couple of short, but challenging sections, and decent scenary.  Worst spots can be bypassed, but are doable in stock / mildly modded jeeps so your LC should be ok.  Be forewarned though, you might run into people in heavily modified rigs who are babying things a bit on this trail.
View Quote
We opened that trail this spring

I have a local crew that does a lot of snow bashing in late spring. Lots of stuck trucks and winching
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Download the gps track files from Traildamage.

Use an iPhone (or ipad) app that is capable of importing the GPS track.  I use GPSKit and/or GPSkitHD (for ipad).

Very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some TD ranked 5 trails that a short bed, regular cab F150 is not going to make it through without some serious body damage, but for the most part anything under a 5-6 should be no problem for a stock FZJ80. There are also some TD trails that are rated 3-4, which haven't been updated in years, and are now more like the 8-9s

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Download the gps track files from Traildamage.

Use an iPhone (or ipad) app that is capable of importing the GPS track.  I use GPSKit and/or GPSkitHD (for ipad).

Very helpful.
View Quote

Good idea, I'll try to get that figured out before I go next time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a lot of fun.

Wife and I should be getting a 4x4 in the next few months and hope to join yall up on the trails.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There are some TD ranked 5 trails that a short bed, regular cab F150 is not going to make it through without some serious body damage, but for the most part anything under a 5-6 should be no problem for a stock FZJ80. There are also some TD trails that are rated 3-4, which haven't been updated in years, and are now more like the 8-9s  
View Quote
Floods did a number on a lot of trails in my AO.

Hill climbs that got washed out pretty good, then beat on by people spinning tires.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Looks like a lot of fun.

Wife and I should be getting a 4x4 in the next few months and hope to join yall up on the trails.
View Quote
Woot! Bring it on!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top