Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2015 8:10:25 PM EDT
I have a tenant that's consistently late with his rent. Any recommendations for an inexpensive lawyer that can help with the eviction?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Post a notice on his door entitled "Demand for possession, notice to quit" informing him he has 72 hours to vacate.  If he does not, go to the county court clerk and obtain a summons and complaint.  Have the sheriff's office serve it.  It can be posted but it must be personal service if you are demanding back rent.  He will have 15 to 20 days from service  to file an answer and then a court date to be set. If the judge rules in your favor he will issue an eviction order to be executed by the sheriiff within 72 hrs. Depending on what county you are in the process usually take 30 to 45 days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
How late is late and how long until the end of the lease.  Is it something you can just deal with until the lease ends and not renew?

If he's a super shitty tenant there's always the risk of ripping the property apart if he gets a whiff of eviction proceedings.

Waiting things out is sometimes better than escalating.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Waiting things out is sometimes better than escalating.
View Quote

No its not.

I am checking around for recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
BMMC, sorry to hear about what is happening to you with your rental.
I had the same thing happen to me over in the JeffCo side of Westminster with the house that I just sold down there. Needless to say the renter put a MJ grow in my flippen house and did many, many thousands of dollars of damage to the house. I hade been using a large rental firm that advertises on the radio a lot, they were not the most helpful people to deal with, and they were far from the "worry free" that they advertise.

The only advice that I can offer is get that fool out of your house!
Westy PD was somewhat helpful as they were the folks who contacted me about problems at the house and allowed me to get the process moving.
JeffCo SO was helpful to a degree, they took WEEKS (6 of them) after the courts ordered the eviction before they were ready to move the renter along. And then gave me and my crew of folks that moved all of the renters junk/property from my house out crap for "there not being enough of us to do the job" they gave us an hour to do the job, we were done in 45 minutes.
JeffCo Courts were helpful and moved the process as fast as they could.

Needless to say the renter still owes me over 10K in backed rent and damages...... She is now in collections.
Sorry about the misfortune, I hope that they have not destroyed your house. I hope that you have better luck with the situation.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Doc, luckily he's not growing pot or anything like that. Your ordeal sounds like a horror story come true.

He's just consistently late on his rent. He's 3 months in a 13 month lease and has been late every month.  I served the Demand for Compliance this evening. I really just don't want to mess with the whole process.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top