Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2015 11:01:35 PM EDT
My wife works for the Evergreen Animal Protection League (EAPL). Together we foster small dogs that are slated for euthanasia. On the last trip down to Texas, where they were going to rescue some chihuahuas scheduled for euthanasia, there was a beautiful sweet Catahoula Leopard Dog/Pit Bull mix slated to be euthanized that day. So they grabbed him too. Now we have him but we already have way too many dogs we're fostering and I have 2 intact male spaniels so we need to find him a good home. Either a forever home or someone willing to foster him.

He's not dog aggressive at all. We've taken him to EAPL fundraisers with lots of other dogs, and he hangs out with the chihuahuas which are obnoxious little dogs and he just ignores them. He does not do well with rabbits, squirrels, or cats. He knows heel, come, and we're working on sit. He was picked up as a stray and never claimed and dogs are only kept for 21 days before they get put down.

If you agree to foster him until we find him a forever home the league picks up all the costs for him and he stays on the web up for adoption. The league pays for food, vet visits, whatever. If you want to adopt him and give him a forever home, there's a $125 adoption fee and the league has you fill out a questionnaire. They do a home visit with the dog to make sure it looks like it will be a good fit and it's done.

The league has brought him up current on all his shots and he's neutered. He is a sweet boy, probably 3 years old. He's got the calm, happy, Catahoula temperment and the cool different shades of grey coat of a Catahoula but he's got the head and tail of a pit bull. He needs to be with people though, not out in a kennel or in a crate. This will be someone's once in a lifetime dog. Pics below.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A co worker lives out in Elizabeth area, I know he was looking for a another pit since he lost his. I'll get in contact with him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciated. Feel free to IM me.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A co worker lives out in Elizabeth area, I know he was looking for a another pit since he lost his. I'll get in contact with him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
He's a cutey.  If I wasn't a single bachelor, I'd take him.  I love people orientated dogs.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a good looking boy.
If I didn't already have a Rottweiler, a rescue Pitbull, and a cat I'd consider it.

I'll ask around though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He's a cutey.  If I wasn't a single bachelor, I'd take him.  I love people orientated dogs.

View Quote

That's the perfect reason to have 2 dogs
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Fly, get a dog (or 2).

The one in this thread seems like a great puppy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry Retro, but my buddy has 3 cats and 20 chickens on his little mini ranch
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Good looking pup. I've already got 3 and a cat though
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the sentiments guys. There's just too damn many of them. Unfortunately we just can't keep him anymore.

He almost got one of my rescue cats and I never get to see my own dogs. After this week he's out of here. I feel like crap cuz he's a great dog and it's not his fault he had some piece of trash for a owner who wouldn't take care of his responsibility.

But we've done everything we can and I'm about to get a divorce over this dog. He's just laying here on the couch with his head on my lap. This just sucks but I appreciate all those of you that tried.

Retro
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump.  Where's he going at the end of the week if he doesn't find a home?  A shelter?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, probably Foothills where he gets 5 days I think then the needle with the pink formula in the heart. Nothing COC compliant left to say.

Quoted:
Bump.  Where's he going at the end of the week if he doesn't find a home?  A shelter?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry I asked. I'm not too proud to admit that my eyes got watery thinking about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am sorry, I have 5 girls, a wife and 2 dogs in a 3 bedroom house, we just don't have anymore room
View Quote

Not to derail...but dang!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
How is he with kids? Especially kids that like to get all up in a dog's face?

I co-habatate with a 7yo, 3yo, and 2yo
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem with kids, he was around a bunch of them at one of the EAPL fundraisers. They gave him a bath. But he's 55-60 pounds of excitable energy. How old are the kids? If they're little kids it wouldn't be a good idea. Other than that he might lick them to death...

Quoted:
How is he with kids? Especially kids that like to get all up in a dog's face?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
2,4,and 7.  I have 2 older lab mixes male and female 12 and 13. They're good with other dogs . I live in Falcon and have tons of outdoor room. Inside is not bad either. I'd be interested in fostering nobody else is interested.

Post 200!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2,4,and 7.  I have 2 older lab mixes male and female 12 and 13. They're good with other dogs . I live in Falcon and have tons of outdoor room. Inside is not bad either. I'd be interested in fostering nobody else is interested.

Post 200!
View Quote

You're awesome, clean_dude.  I'd be willing to contribute gas $$$ to whomever transports the doggy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Falcon, CO? Just wondering, your avatar says NM.

Let me check with the wife. I'm a little nervous about the 2 year old but if she gives it her blessing we can do a home visit and see how you feel about it. You might be my new best friend forever!

Quoted:

Post 200!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah moved to CO. Didn't change the avatar. The 2 yo has been around bigger dogs. She gets knocked around and licked, but usually comes away unscathed. As long as he's not a biter, it should be all good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're awesome, clean_dude.  I'd be willing to contribute gas $$$ to whomever transports the doggy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post 200!

I'll help as well. In whatever way possible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#22]
My weekends are pretty cramped, google maps says 4hr roundtrip, se aurora-evergreen-falcon-se aurora. I might/should be able to transport. How is he on car rides?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Why not take him to the maxfund, wjere at least he'll have a chance?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys. Didn't work out on my end. Retro brought him over and my dogs are dicks. Who knew?

He's a great dog. He needs a good home.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I appreciate the sentiments guys. There's just too damn many of them. Unfortunately we just can't keep him anymore.

He almost got one of my rescue cats and I never get to see my own dogs. After this week he's out of here. I feel like crap cuz he's a great dog and it's not his fault he had some piece of trash for a owner who wouldn't take care of his responsibility.

But we've done everything we can and I'm about to get a divorce over this dog. He's just laying here on the couch with his head on my lap. This just sucks but I appreciate all those of you that tried.

Retro
View Quote

Maybe post this in GD. I can't stand the thought of this guy being at a shelter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
GD is a good place to post this, too.  Good idea Denver Dan.  That's where I got the one on the right in my avatar.  

Also, remember that initially when a dog is introduced into a home with other dogs that there will be "strife" amongst them for a short time (1 to 2 wks) as they all have to establish their place in the pack.  I learned that the hard way when I got the 2nd dog.  Dog 2 was a dick for a couple of weeks, but now they're best buddies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Clean_Dude was just being a gentleman, and he is truly a gentleman. His dogs were friendly and well-behaved. We got Sam over there, there was the usual playing and posturing. Sam loved the kids. We were all standing in a circle when Sam went into pit mode onto one of Clean_Dudes dogs. It was not a purse fight. Everybody stayed remarkably calm but it wasn't just a growl or a warning snap. Sam had him by neck and had no intention of letting go.

We called the president of the league and she made the call to have him euthanized. We couldn't adopt him out knowing he has animal aggression and could kill someones pet, and it would have set the league up for a huge lawsuit.

So when we got home me and Sam just sat on the swing in the yard and watched the sun go down. The next morning we took him to Carl's Jr and got him a cheeseburger, took him up for a long walk back in our woods, and then when the time came took him to vet. He went out with his head in my lap, snoring, and the last thing he felt was my hand rubbing his head and telling him what a good boy he was. Then I walked to the truck and had a complete come-apart.

Some dogs leave a mark on your soul, and he was one of those dogs. We have had literally hundreds of fosters come through our house over the years and I forget them after a while. I'll never forget that dog.

Thank you all for the messages and IMs, and especially to Clean_Dude who stepped up and gave Sam a chance. God bless all of you who take in the rescues. In the end Sam had a month of being spoiled and loved on and getting more love and attention than he probably ever had prior in his life. It's getting all dusty in here and shit so I'm out. I just thought you all had a right to know after all the offers of help.

RIP Sambo.

Retro
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Clean_Dude was just being a gentleman, and he is truly a gentleman. His dogs were friendly and well-behaved. We got Sam over there, there was the usual playing and posturing. Sam loved the kids. We were all standing in a circle when Sam went into pit mode onto one of Clean_Dudes dogs. It was not a purse fight. Everybody stayed remarkably calm but it wasn't just a growl or a warning snap. Sam had him by neck and had no intention of letting go.

We called the president of the league and she made the call to have him euthanized. We couldn't adopt him out knowing he has animal aggression and could kill someones pet, and it would have set the league up for a huge lawsuit.

So when we got home me and Sam just sat on the swing in the yard and watched the sun go down. The next morning we took him to Carl's Jr and got him a cheeseburger, took him up for a long walk back in our woods, and then when the time came took him to vet. He went out with his head in my lap, snoring, and the last thing he felt was my hand rubbing his head and telling him what a good boy he was. Then I walked to the truck and had a complete come-apart.

Some dogs leave a mark on your soul, and he was one of those dogs. We have had literally hundreds of fosters come through our house over the years and I forget them after a while. I'll never forget that dog.

Thank you all for the messages and IMs, and especially to Clean_Dude who stepped up and gave Sam a chance. God bless all of you who take in the rescues. In the end Sam had a month of being spoiled and loved on and getting more love and attention than he probably ever had prior in his life. It's getting all dusty in here and shit so I'm out. I just thought you all had a right to know after all the offers of help.

RIP Sambo.

Retro
View Quote

Just remember , " All Dogs Go To Heaven "  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sorry it didn't work out. He was a good dog. Glad he got to know some love before he went.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#30]
damnit....

I just shed a few tears and then found and hugged all the dogs in the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top