Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 11:07:03 AM EDT
I didn't find anything after a "search"so here goes ...

(I left this in the "travel" forum also.)

The family (me, wife & 4 year daughter) are going to Colorado Aug 18-22.  Flying into Denver. Driving to Evergreen for the night. Next day we are riding the Georgetown Loop Railroad train tour. Then off to Estes Park (RMNP) for 3 days.

Any "must see" things while in Estes Park. We have the Stanley Hotel tour on the list. With the 4 year old in tow we may check out out some of the activities at the YMCA there. It seems to be very nice with a lot of stuff she would enjoy.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Lothbrook knows it well, but he's off mountain climbing for a few days
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're at least 50% DV, then apply for your free state parks pass and avoid having to pay $20 per day, or bring an award letter with you and you may get one on the spot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're at least 50% DV, then apply for your free state parks pass and avoid having to pay $20 per day, or bring an award letter with you and you may get one on the spot.
View Quote

Tell me more about the "award letter" ...

You mean a citation from a personal award (I.e., Bronze Star, Navy Comm, Etc.?)

Is this common knowledge among the park gate staff?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is $20 for 7 days not per day.

Quoted:
Then off to Estes Park (RMNP) for 3 days.

Any "must see" things while in Estes Park. We have the Stanley Hotel tour on the list. With the 4 year old in tow we may check out out some of the activities at the YMCA there. It seems to be very nice with a lot of stuff she would enjoy.

Thanks!

Show the kiddo the National Park.  You could easily burn all three days in the park alone and barely have scratched the surface.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
At 4 years old you should be able to do a lot of easy hiking with the kiddo there are ~200 trails in RMNP.

For sure here are some things you need to do:
Drive to the summit of Trail Ridge Road- could even continue to Grand Lake before returning, take your time and see all the stuff along the way.
Hike to Mills Lake
"Hunt" for Bighorn Sheep, Elk, or Moose in the park
Eat at Ed's Cantina
IMO none of the breweries in Estes are that exciting
The Gondola in Estes is pretty nice

If you are feeling more ambitious, you should also hike to Chasm Lake
Extend your Mills Lake hike to include "The Loch"
The hike to Bierstadt lake is pretty kid-friendly and has great views almost right away- very low grade

YMCA is in a spectacular setting

If you zip down to Loveland you could visit the best Sculpture park in the United States (Benson Sculpture Park), and Visit some of the 6 breweries in that town. All while checking out the Big Thompson canyon along the way.
--------------

Keep in mind, in August on the weekends the main drag turns into a shitshow between about 11 AM and 5 PM. Weekdays not as bad.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

What are the benefits for the Annual Pass - Military?

Free admission at sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees for one full year from the month obtained (through last day of that month).
       Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter federally operated recreation sites across the country.
       Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee charged for children 15 and under.

The pass does not cover or provide a discount on expanded amenity fees such as camping, boat launch or interpretive fees.
   Who qualifies for the Annual Pass - Military?

Current US military members and their dependents in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, as well as most members of the US Reserves and National Guard. Proper military ID is required (CAC Card or DoD Form 1173).
   Can dependents of National Guard and the Reserve members acquire a pass?

Dependents of deployed military members with DoD Form 1173 may obtain a pass. If the military member has not been deployed, the dependent may be the second signer on their sponsor’s pass.
   Are there any benefits for veterans?

There is not a pass specifically for veterans; however, many veterans qualify for one of the other discount passes offered as part of our pass program.

If you are 62 or older you qualify for a Senior Pass. You can buy a Senior Pass in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office or by mail.

If you have a permanent disability you may qualify for an Access Pass. This is a free lifetime pass that you may obtain in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office or by mail.
   Where can I use my pass?

Please contact a site directly if you have a question about pass acceptance and fees. The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Annual Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee(s) are charged.
       Bureau of Land Management http://www.blm.gov
       Bureau of Reclamation http://www.usbr.gov
       Fish and Wildlife Service http://www.fws.gov
       USDA Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us
       National Park Service http://www.nps.gov

US Army Corps of Engineers will not be issuing this pass, however they may honor it for free access at some sites. For more information contact your local US Army Corps of Engineers.
   How do I get my pass?

You can receive your pass by presenting your Current US military ID at most Federal lands that charge an entrance fee. A list of sites that sell pass is available. Sites that issue the Annual Pass will generally also issue the free US military version as well. Please contact the Federal Land you will be visiting in advance to ensure that they have the pass available.
   Can I loan my pass to a friend to use?

No. The pass owner must be present when the pass is used and it is not transferrable.
   Who can sign the Pass?

One pass covers everyone in a non-commercial vehicle at sites that charge "per vehicle."

The Pass has two signature lines. The pass is not valid until it is signed, so the Current US military member or dependent must sign the pass with first and last name when the pass is issued. The second signature line is optional, but may only be signed by another Current US military member or dependent. One of the signers must be present when using the pass.
   If I have more than four people in my car, how many passes do I need?

One pass covers the vehicle at sites that charge "per vehicle." At "per person" sites, the applicable fee will be charged for each additional person.
   My family is traveling in two vehicles; will one pass let all of us into the site?

No. Only the vehicle with the pass owner is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must have (or purchase) a second pass.
   What about motorcycle drivers who obtain this Pass?

The pass permits entrance for the two individuals that sign the Pass on two separate motorcycles. Identification must match the signatures of the pass owner(s). If only one pass owner is present the pass will admit only one motorcycle.
   I ride my bicycle into a Federal recreation site that charges an entry fee. Can my friends come in with me with my pass?

Yes, generally the pass owner and up to 3 other bicyclists can enter for free. Be sure to check with the recreation site you plan to visit before leaving because there can be differences in the way a pass is honored at different sites.
   What is NOT covered by the Pass?

The Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries.

Also, some facilities and activities on Federal recreation lands (including those mentioned above) are managed by private concessionaires. The concessionaires charge for their services as any private company does and the Pass is not valid for their services.
   Can lost or stolen passes be replaced? Is there a way that the serial numbers can be tracked?

No. Due to privacy and logistical considerations, passes cannot be replaced if lost or stolen; a new Pass may be obtained.
   How do I show my pass at a site that doesn't have an entrance station?

At Federal recreation sites that don't have entrance stations you need to display your pass or show proof of pass ownership to compliance officers via one of the two following methods:
       HANGTAGS
       A pass can either be displayed on your rearview mirror using a free hangtag or on your dashboard with the signature side showing. Remember, the hangtag itself is only a way to display your Pass, and is not valid for entry unless it holds a valid Pass.
       DECALS
       If you own an open-topped vehicle (jeep, motorcycle, etc.) you may obtain a free decal to attach to your vehicle that will serve as proof of payment at sites that don't have a staffed entrance station.
   If I forget to bring my pass to a site and pay the entrance or use fee, can I mail in the receipt and a photocopy of my pass and get a refund?

Refunds are not issued.
   If I purchased an $80 Annual Pass earlier in the year can I return the pass and get a refund?

Refunds will not be issued for passes purchased before the free passes became available.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I nice drive to Estes Park from Georgetown would be via Highway 7 aka Peak to Peak highway.  

http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/peak.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I nice drive to Estes Park from Georgetown would be via Highway 7 aka Peak to Peak highway.  

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely go into the park, its worth every penny. Take a few of the shorter hikes before trying Chasm Lake :) Might want to get acclimated to the altitude first.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Fall River Road up to the visitor center at the top of Trailridge Road is a great drive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My family has been going to Estes and Rmnp since the 1920's.  For a neat lunch goto the Baldpate Inn.

Fun stuff:

1.  Have your kids do the junior ranger program.

2.  Check out the west side of the divide.  Might see a moose.

3.  Bear lake is an easy "hike."

4.  Alluvial fan is interesting.

5.  Go over to Glen Haven General Store and get cinnamon rolls.

6.  Aerial tram is fun and you can feed the chipmunks at the top.  

7.  Eagle Plumes up highway 7 is cool and full of Indian stuff.

8.  The Noah's ark is fun to take kids.  It's full of stuffed animals. It's a shop.

9.  Old Fall River Road is a fun way to the top of trail ridge road.

10. Hit the park early in the morning or at dusk for best opportunity to see animals.

You won't be able to do it all.  Just have fun and enjoy our state.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#13]
A week ago I was up there place is packed packed packed... Hit up 7 different camps from Brainard Lake to Estes Park, no vacancy anywhere got pulled over in Etes Park for a "broken tail-light" we stopped in the next town and checked the light was fine must have just looked suspicious trying to find a place to sleep at 1am.

Anyway RMNP is no longer on my list, having seen the way things were going (if it wasn't occupied it was reserved up to a month out) we decided not to drive up to yellowstone and ended up spending a week in the national forest just outside 11-mile Res State Park outside Colorado Springs and had a good time, fishing wasn't very good but it was camping.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A week ago I was up there place is packed packed packed... Hit up 7 different camps from Brainard Lake to Estes Park, no vacancy anywhere got pulled over in Etes Park for a "broken tail-light" we stopped in the next town and checked the light was fine must have just looked suspicious trying to find a place to sleep at 1am.

Anyway RMNP is no longer on my list, having seen the way things were going (if it wasn't occupied it was reserved up to a month out) we decided not to drive up to yellowstone and ended up spending a week in the national forest just outside 11-mile Res State Park outside Colorado Springs and had a good time, fishing wasn't very good but it was camping.
View Quote

RMNP should absolutely be on everyone's list, though trying to go at the height of tourist season and getting upset that everything was busy is rather foolish.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

RMNP should absolutely be on everyone's list, though trying to go at the height of tourist season and getting upset that everything was busy is rather foolish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I second this comment. It's a tourist location that has most of its visits in the summer. If you don't plan ahead you won't do very well. Weekdays are much less packed and easily tolerable.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I second this comment. It's a tourist location that has most of its visits in the summer. If you don't plan ahead you won't do very well. Weekdays are much less packed and easily tolerable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.  Trying to enjoy ANY NP during the season, ain't happening, unless you're in the park as soon as the gates open.
. We rode through Yellowstone coming back from a nice week long ride through ID & MT.  The best part of YNP, was being able to slowly move around all the tourist who HAD TO STOP RIGHT NOW, To take pictures (AGAIN) of those cute little squirrels. . Who cared if they were blocking traffic both ways.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.
And you'll drive by my house...Ill wave

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Edit- nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top