Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2015 8:45:16 AM EDT
I drew bear in the Bookcliffs, fist season bull on the Grand Mesa.

How about the other hunters on HTF, what did you draw?

Hope some folks had good luck this year.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Got my elk

Time to put this girl to work

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno, you might need a bigger scope.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Its mostly sun shade I swear!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you weighed that thing yet? I almost wish I was going with you guys just to watch...
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have you weighed that thing yet? I almost wish I was going with you guys just to watch...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't yet. I need to but I don't have a scale. I'd guess it's around 11 pounds
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Myself, the wife, and my FIL, didn't draw shit this year.
I guess its OTC for us.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't draw f-ing shit this year

just a bear tag that was supposed to go along with my elk hunt whoop-de-f'ng do  
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Cow elk and Doe.

Third season rifle.

Will probably buy an OTC Bull tag too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Myself, the wife, and my FIL, didn't draw shit this year.
I guess its OTC for us.
View Quote

I'm OTC as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just points this year... Last year was my big hunt.

Wyoming though, hoping I get my lope tag
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill be OTC as well this year.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Elk; 3rd Season; Unit 62
Deer; Unsuccessful.

Good luck on your bear, Mark.
Paul, where are you going?

-Daniel
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Elk; 3rd Season; Unit 62
Deer; Unsuccessful.

Good luck on your bear, Mark.
Paul, where are you going?

-Daniel
View Quote

With Mark
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Daniel, Bookcliffs can be fun area.  Good luck in 62, that can be a great unit.  We'll be hunting elk somewhere on the mesa.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Archery Elk in the flattops area was my only real application.  Otherwise all points.  

I really want to do a great archery bear hunt and started accumulating points for it.  I only have 2 now. I've had so little interaction with bear, but it seems like most of the time it is happenstance.  My elk area holds good numbers (reportedly), but I've only ever seen 1 cub.  The amount of sign I see substantiates the report of a good number, but I'm not sure why I never see them.  Will the bookcliff hunt allow you to spot and stalk or is it a matter of scouting and learning the bear's patterns?  It would be a blast to sit and spot several bears in a day.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got here- apparently I have a lot to learn about the point system for tags.  Alaska was a convoluted mess for draw tags- this sounds like a whole different kind of mess

Are there harvest tags or general season hunts where anybody can hunt?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
They will release the "leftover" tags that didn't get drawn, in August. You can also get an over the counter bull tag, which is only good to use in open units, during the season it is for.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Leftover.aspx
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
spyderboy covered it.  

OTC tags are not available for every species.  There are also limited quota tags for species like bear that are available over the counter, but of a limited number.  Once they sell out, they are gone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Managed to get a buck deer tag for a friend's property, didn't get antelope or elk. Maybe I'll get a good leftover tag for elk, either that or I'm going back home to Tennessee to hunt with my family on our property. Been out here since 2012 and haven't killed anything except Prarie dogs, it's getting old.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#20]
In my experience, bear hunts are totally dependent on food conditions.  If you can find the food they are on, you have good chance at spot and stalk.  If not, its blind luck.  Last year was all messed up due to bad berry crop.  Lots of bear low in corn fields.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Didn't put in this year, will just do OTC. Hunting bud want to scout other areas and doesn't know if his boy can make it. Plus me with my failed knee surgery; I don't know if I can even go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#22]
So when do the tags actually get mailed out? I know I drew an elk but I still don't know what sex
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Go here, scroll to the bottom, enter your info.  The result page will list the tag that you drew.

Quoted:
So when do the tags actually get mailed out? I know I drew an elk but I still don't know what sex
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#24]
DT
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Go here, scroll to the bottom, enter your info.  The result page will list the tag that you drew.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got my cow! Thanks Mark
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]
OTC for me. Usually hunt 38 public and private.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Got OTC elk 2nd rifle and pronghorn unit 110.

Any body have experience hunting 110?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got OTC elk 2nd rifle and pronghorn unit 110.

Any body have experience hunting 110?
View Quote

I'll be hunting Pronghorn in 111. Great area. Lots of goats.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I just moved out here in late March, so I'm not eligible to buy any tags until late october.  Any chance of me actually doing any hunting this year...bow or gun?  I'm not picky, just want to put something in the freezer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#30]
You can always buy a tag, you're just screwed with NR tag fees.  Leftover limited licenses go on sale Monday.  

You could wait until late Oct and get an OTC tag for the 3rd rifle as another option, 3rd rifle season starts 10/31.

That would save a ton of money and you could still hunt.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just moved out here in late March, so I'm not eligible to buy any tags until late october.  Any chance of me actually doing any hunting this year...bow or gun?  I'm not picky, just want to put something in the freezer.
View Quote

Archery season will be over by then. You should be able to get an over the counter bull tag for third rifle though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can always buy a tag, you're just screwed with NR tag fees.  Leftover limited licenses go on sale Monday.  

You could wait until late Oct and get an OTC tag for the 3rd rifle as another option, 3rd rifle season starts 10/31.

View Quote

Yeah, NR tag prices are insane.  I can buy a bunch of meat for $500!  What about deer?  Any OTC deer tags for later in the year?

I have the hunting pamphlet, but damn you're regs and seasons are complicated.  I'm from MO, so I'm used to paying $19 for a tag and hunting anywhere in the state I please.  This whole units, draws, and multiple seasons is foreign to me.

Next year, I'll be able to get in on the draws and hopefully get something with the recurve!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#33]
No OTC deer, limited only.  Leftover list is here http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx on the right side of the page.  Leftover deer tags are awful this year.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No OTC deer, limited only.  Leftover list is here http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx on the right side of the page.  Leftover deer tags are awful this year.

View Quote

Thanks, I'll check that out.  Good to know that I can still get a little hunting in this year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, NR tag prices are insane.  I can buy a bunch of meat for $500!  What about deer?  Any OTC deer tags for later in the year?

I have the hunting pamphlet, but damn you're regs and seasons are complicated.  I'm from MO, so I'm used to paying $19 for a tag and hunting anywhere in the state I please.  This whole units, draws, and multiple seasons is foreign to me.

Next year, I'll be able to get in on the draws and hopefully get something with the recurve!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved here from MO 3 years ago, yes it's confusing compared to what we have. I've about got it mastered now if you need help. I've had luck the last 2 years on leftover GMU 28 buck deer tag.  Not a bad place to start anyway
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm all about archery this year again.   I'll be on the mesa all september.  See how that works
Of course, you gotta be retired to pull that off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got my elk

Time to put this girl to work

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/psouthern1214/media/Mobile%20Uploads/16315_zpsj3rloc9l.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s400/psouthern1214/Mobile%20Uploads/16315_zpsj3rloc9l.jpeg</a>
View Quote

They get a little heavy after 3 days, but mine dropped 2 elk so far.  Carrying with a long sling patrol style really helps.   Good luck
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Got a doe ML tag for 109.

Also picked up an either sex 4th rifle elk for 18/181.

Both leftover.

I've only done pheasant out east and have never actually scouted 181, so this should be interesting.  I guess in both cases I'll be happy to just take a 1 out 2 day hiking trip considering I've got a kid due next month.

I'll probably be working relatively narrow spots in the mountains so I'm going to try to work up some heavy conical loads for the Hawken.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]
That 4th season tag can be productive.  Bring snow shoes.  I've hunted 4th north of Hot Sulphur Springs, and been into elk a bunch.  Fair number of hunters, but if the weather is right, you can catch elk moving to lower country.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That 4th season tag can be productive.  Bring snow shoes.  I've hunted 4th north of Hot Sulphur Springs, and been into elk a bunch.  Fair number of hunters, but if the weather is right, you can catch elk moving to lower country.  Good luck.

View Quote

Thanks!

I was checking maps and that's where I'm heading.  Lord knows how the weather will be like having to hike over 2 or 3 ridges.  Hopefully no one else grabs a tag.  There were only 600 left for the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top