Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
Picking up a rental Suburban or Tahoe in Denver (7 of us) and going to S/SW Colorado for 5 days......leaving Denver and 1st night reservations are in Montrose, then Durange, back to a night in Montrose and then to Denver.....

We are thinking about going down I25 to Pueblo then across 50 to Montrose & will be Staying in Durango  3 nights & will hit the Durango/Silverton train one day & Mesa Verde another day.

Is there a better/more scenic way to get to Montrose from Denver??

Have 1.5 day's in Durango to explore, what's in the area to see & what's great local food?

Will be going back up 550 and want to take the Alpine Loop the stock 4x4 will make it & then spending the night at Montrose again on the way north.

What other must see places are in the Silverton/Telluride/ouray area?

After leaving Montrose, no idea...up to 70 & across to Denver possibly...what is in this area worth stopping in at?

My concealed carry permit is valid in Colorado & bringing a pistol with me, I'm assuming open carry in these tourist areas is not prudent as somebody will panic and call the local police.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're into hiking, there are some cool hikes N of Durango up 550.  Engineer's Peak is cool, but it may be a little scary in one spot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Hwy 50 to Montrose is a pretty standard route.  Lots of scenery along the way up in the high country.  Royal Gorge is okay, but touristy.  Black Canyon of the Gunnison, just east of Montrose, is much more impressive.  Used to be a national monument, now it's a national park, I believe.  From Montrose go south on 550 to Ouray, over Red Mountain Pass to Silverton, and on to Durango.  I always liked the drive to make a loop, perhaps from Mesa Verde to near Cortez, then up to Lizard Head Pass, to Telluride, and then back to Ridgway north of Ouray.  You could return to Denver from Montrose by going north to Grand Junction, then east on I-70, also a pretty standard route.

If you had more time there are scenic route alternatives, but on your schedule I doubt you'll have a lot of time for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Denver to Montrose: I wouldn't do I-70. I would take US 50 through Gunnison and to Salida, and then take US285 the rest of the way back to Denver. Far more scenic. Eat lunch at the Brown Burro in Fairplay (~2hrs west of Denver along that route) if you can make the timing work.

I'm not an open-carry fan in general. It's generally legal in Colorado but seems to attract more attention than I personally would like. Government buildings with screening at the doors, Federal buildings, and K-12 schools are about the only no-go zones with a valid CFL anyway.

Quoted:
Picking up a rental Suburban or Tahoe in Denver (7 of us) and going to S/SW Colorado for 5 days......leaving Denver and 1st night reservations are in Montrose, then Durange, back to a night in Montrose and then to Denver.....

We are thinking about going down I25 to Pueblo then across 50 to Montrose & will be Staying in Durango  3 nights & will hit the Durango/Silverton train one day & Mesa Verde another day.

Is there a better/more scenic way to get to Montrose from Denver??

Have 1.5 day's in Durango to explore, what's in the area to see & what's great local food?

Will be going back up 550 and want to take the Alpine Loop the stock 4x4 will make it & then spending the night at Montrose again on the way north.

What other must see places are in the Silverton/Telluride/ouray area?

After leaving Montrose, no idea...up to 70 & across to Denver possibly...what is in this area worth stopping in at?

My concealed carry permit is valid in Colorado & bringing a pistol with me, I'm assuming open carry in these tourist areas is not prudent as somebody will panic and call the local police.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you referring to the Tahoe/suburban as the stock 4x4 for the alpine loop? Much of it is doable in one, but I wouldn't want to!

Definitely go to the black canyon while in Montrose, eat at Horsefly (service usually sucks, but food and beer are good), Colorado Boy for pizza and beer, Ted's for steak, Camp Robber or Stonehouse are our nicer choices for good food.

When are you coming, I didn't see that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, rental bone stock vehicle, checked them out today size wise and we need the Suburban, the Tahoe just does not have the room needed. Will not be the best vehicle to have, but it's got 4 low and "some" ground clearance so should be able to swing the Alpine loop. I'm not a total stranger to off roading so hopefully won't be to bad

Been looking at routing and as it now stand will take 285 out of Denver to Pocha Springs and then 50 across to Montrose & depending on time stopping at Black Canyon of the Gunnison on the way in or on the way out but it's a must see. Might also swing in at St Elmo Ghost town as the lady's & kids want to see that & the chipmunks

Montrose to Denver, not sure at this point.

I'm not a huge open carry fan & for the most part will be CCing if at all possible. I've got medical issues due to 20 years of .mil service & have problems walking/hiking long distances, so for the most part will be looking for things semi close to the vehicle and not stupid strenuous.  

Should be late July or early Aug when we are in the AO, firming that up now.

Seems I read about a "trail" somewhere west of Denver/Springs area that turned a old rail road track into a easy wheeling road with some great views & couple rail road tunnels, anybody know where this is?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
West of Denver off the Peak to Peak Hwy north of Central City is Rollinsville , if you turn west you will go to Moffat tunnel. There wonderful views and switchbacks that will take you to Yankee Doddle Lake .

The road used to go thru the Eye of the Needle and on over to Winter Park , but Im not sure it goes thru as the "eye" caves in sometimes.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, rental bone stock vehicle, checked them out today size wise and we need the Suburban, the Tahoe just does not have the room needed. Will not be the best vehicle to have, but it's got 4 low and "some" ground clearance so should be able to swing the Alpine loop. I'm not a total stranger to off roading so hopefully won't be to bad

Been looking at routing and as it now stand will take 285 out of Denver to Pocha Springs and then 50 across to Montrose & depending on time stopping at Black Canyon of the Gunnison on the way in or on the way out but it's a must see. Might also swing in at St Elmo Ghost town as the lady's & kids want to see that & the chipmunks

Montrose to Denver, not sure at this point.

I'm not a huge open carry fan & for the most part will be CCing if at all possible. I've got medical issues due to 20 years of .mil service & have problems walking/hiking long distances, so for the most part will be looking for things semi close to the vehicle and not stupid strenuous.  

Should be late July or early Aug when we are in the AO, firming that up now.

Seems I read about a "trail" somewhere west of Denver/Springs area that turned a old rail road track into a easy wheeling road with some great views & couple rail road tunnels, anybody know where this is?
View Quote

Gold Camp Road, SW of the Springs?  Goes to the Victor/Cripple Creek area.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Gold Camp Road, SW of the Springs?  Goes to the Victor/Cripple Creek area.
View Quote

Could very well be, seems like the article said something about going around Cheyenne Mountain to get onto the trail.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
West of Denver off the Peak to Peak Hwy north of Central City is Rollinsville , if you turn west you will go to Moffat tunnel. There wonderful views and switchbacks that will take you to Yankee Doddle Lake .

The road used to go thru the Eye of the Needle and on over to Winter Park , but Im not sure it goes thru as the "eye" caves in sometimes.
Gary
View Quote

Now this sounds like a superb drive, will have to store it away for future reference.

Offspring and a friend want to go to Colorado Springs camping this summer, might be something they would want to see
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer 285 and 50 going to and from SW Colorado than I-70.  However Glenwood Canyon is nice to drive through.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Bring a 12v air compressor so you can air down/up your tires, don't try to take the shortcut to Ouray (Mineral Creek), and remember any and all damage that happens off of paved road won't be covered by any insurance you buy from the rental company.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
From my experience in Colorado. I would head straight for that area (SW) and not look back.  I love the idea of taking HWY 50 out there and HWY 160 back.
Salida is a great place to stop and grab some pizza and beer at Amicas. Or just beer at Elevation in Poncha Springs. Monarch pass is great- they have some good Ice Cream at the summit gift shop.

The San Juans are awesome and the rest of the state pales in comparison (exception maybe being RMNP)
You'll be near Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Ouray is a simply amazing place. You need to go there and see the area. Get some Scrap Cookies at Mouse's Chocolates. Have a burger and beer at Ouray Brewery.
Drive the Dallas Divide from Ridgway to Telluride. Take the chairlift up to the top in Telluride.
Yankee Boy Basin is pretty neat, if you park you can hike up another hour and get some great views. Mt. Sneffels is a little more than a casual hike though.
Drive the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango- and take your time to enjoy the scenery.
If you can afford it, take the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad. You will not be dissapointed. Bonus- get dropped off at Elk park, hike, and then take the train back.

On the way back through Pagosa Springs, the hot springs are quite nice there. You will also be driving by Great Sand Dunes National Park, and just a couple hours there will suffice. You will drive by the Stunning Blanca Peak massif that rises 7,000' out of a high plains desert.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gary
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gary

I've done this. It's pretty cool but the road is really rough and it tore up my tires. Was not fun at all driving that. And you absolutely cannot get through all the way anymore. I would skip that for your first trip.

Quoted:

Sounds like Phantom Canyon / Gold Belt Scenic Byway
http://www.goldbeltbyway.com/phantom-canyon-road
The gravel road follows the route of the Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad built in 1894 as a connection from Florence to the goldfields of Cripple Creek and Victor.

The unique bridges and tunnels offer a visual link to the area's historic past.

The road condition and narrow bridges encourage people to slow down and view the scenery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top