Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2015 5:24:32 AM EDT
My brother and I are going camping over the memorial day weekend and always being one of the "Better to have and not need" types I was planning on taking one of my guns or another. Can somebody enlighten as to the laws regarding camping and guns?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Just follow state laws...there are no camping specific laws.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do not have a valid hunting license, but have loaded rifles or shotguns in camp along with a light capable of "spotting" wildlife, a wildlife commissioner may ask you some questions, though nothing may come of it.  

Rationale 1: Potential poaching situation for big game (out of season, out of hunting hours (artificial light), no license) pg 17 of this document http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
Rationale 2: Potential poaching situation for coyotes/fox, etc (No license, no permit from local wildlife manager (unless you are on private ground)) pg 8 of this document

As I said, nothing may come of it, but a wildlife officer may ask you questions.  My understanding of the game laws in PA were that if you were spotting wildlife and had a loaded rifle in the vehicle, it was enough to potentially lose everything in possession that day, loss of hunting privileges, and more.  Based on that background, I don't take chances.  At a minimum, if the above is true, I would not work on your nighttime engagement skills unless you are on private property.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My family and I went camping in Arapahoe National Forest last summer and I took my rifles. Didn't think at all about asking anyone anything. I kept them in the car during the day (except when we were shooting them, obviously) and one in the tent with us at night. I have my Hunter safety card but not my license as I have not gone yet. I wasn't, in the least, concerned about being accused of poaching just because I had my rifles and flashlights while camping. I guess it could happen though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 My understanding of the game laws in PA were that if you were spotting wildlife and had a loaded rifle in the vehicle, it was enough to potentially lose everything in possession that day, loss of hunting privileges, and more.  Based on that background, I don't take chances.  At a minimum, if the above is true, I would not work on your nighttime engagement skills unless you are on private property.
View Quote

If you have a loaded longgun in your car in Colorado (loaded in chamber) you will be cited for that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My family and I went camping in Arapahoe National Forest last summer and I took my rifles. Didn't think at all about asking anyone anything. I kept them in the car during the day (except when we were shooting them, obviously) and one in the tent with us at night. I have my Hunter safety card but not my license as I have not gone yet. I wasn't, in the least, concerned about being accused of poaching just because I had my rifles and flashlights while camping. I guess it could happen though.
View Quote

Dan,
99% of the time there wouldn't be a problem;  it is just a remote chance.  However, sometimes people shoot after hours and that will attract attention, especially on Memorial Day weekend.  It doesn't even have to be you doing the shooting, the commissioner may just end up in your camp accidentally responding to the report.  I was posting the information from a precautionary standpoint.  You are perfectly legal to do as you did.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dan,
99% of the time there wouldn't be a problem;  it is just a remote chance.  However, sometimes people shoot after hours and that will attract attention, especially on Memorial Day weekend.  It doesn't even have to be you doing the shooting, the commissioner may just end up in your camp accidentally responding to the report.  I was posting the information from a precautionary standpoint.  You are perfectly legal to do as you did.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan,

I just never even thought of that. And isn't shooting at night, on public land, illegal? I remember I wanted to do that last year but read that it was illegal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say that it is illegal to recreationally shoot at night on public land.  That is why you would likely get a visit from a commissioner or a sherriff's deputy.  However, you can legally shoot at night if you are lawfully pursuing furbearers (written permission from district wildlife manager) or if you are protecting yourself.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would say that it is illegal to recreationally shoot at night on public land.  That is why you would likely get a visit from a commissioner or a sherriff's deputy.  However, you can legally shoot at night if you are lawfully pursuing furbearers (written permission from district wildlife manager) or if you are protecting yourself.

View Quote

Why would you say that it is illegal to recreationally shoot at night on public land? I've never seen anything against it. If there's some info that I've overlooked, I'd like to be educated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would you say that it is illegal to recreationally shoot at night on public land? I've never seen anything against it. If there's some info that I've overlooked, I'd like to be educated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked you can shoot on public land anytime you want
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really!? Nice. Last year, on our camping trip,  my boys....and I.....wanted to see the fire an AR will throw at night.....but I thought I was told, or read somewhere, that discharging a firearm in the national forest at night was a no no. I guess things will be different this year!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I ALWAYS have a sidearm with me while camping.

Here are a few regulations. Check which forest you will be in as there might be additional ones. Have fun and stay safe.

Federal Rules
According to the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36), recreational shooting can take place on the National Forests and Grasslands under these conditions:
You are at least 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or an adjacent body of water.
You are not shooting into or within a cave.
You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person, property or resource is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
You are not firing any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.

Targets and Alcohol
On the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland :
You may only shoot targets that are:
cardboard,
paper,
self-healing,
manufactured metallic  (metal targets specifically designed for firearms),
or manufactured thrown-type clay (clay pigeons)
Wooden backing on targets is not allowed
You may not possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while discharging a firearm. (Order 10-00-2011-01)
You may not use an explosive, including exploding targets. (Regional Order R02-2013-01)

ETA: One of our rules (sayings) is "Suns out, Guns out". We put 'em up at night.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the 150 yards mean from your campsite? Thats 1.5 football fields and highly unlikely for anyone to follow
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
From where you shoot to any other campsite etc...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually, it probably isn't illegal.  However, I'd put the firing of guns at night, on public land, for recreation within the realm of the rules of safely handling of any firearm.  I do not feel that you can know without any doubt that the area behind your target is clear/safe.  The same could be said for hunting furbearers at night.  However, when I am hunting, I am generally in areas that most people don't go, which  wouldn't include being anywhere near a pull up camp site.

Here is the sort of  "stuff" that propagates when rights are exercised irresponsibly.  Makes fighting for our rights and recovering them even more difficult.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Wish I had some good footage of our night shoots, Usually a parachute flare lights up the impact area.
Bookcliffs make an excellent backstop.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wish I had some good footage of our night shoots, Usually a parachute flare lights up the impact area.
Bookcliffs make an excellent backstop.

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/100_0162.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/100_0162.jpg</a>
View Quote

You in Junction?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes,  great places to shoot out here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top