Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 8:17:18 PM EDT
I've been in the Denver area about a month now and I'm loving it!  So far we've only really hiked around El Dorado Canyon State Park.  We have a 3 day weekend so I'm looking for some other ideas.  Either day hikes or an overnight trip would work.  Would need to be a dog friendly area if we're doing an overnight.

So what are some of your favorites within an hour or two from Denver?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Castlewood Canyon south of Parker might be nice. Check out the open space hikes in the Greenland area too (west of I 25).  South of Tomah Rd between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs.

Did/do you run hounds?

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll check that out.  

Don't run hounds.  We just have two spoiled house dogs that my wife likes to take on hikes with us!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a ton, man.  Seriously.  Just know that you're going to be in the snow and ice this early in the season, so bring appropriate gear - traction devices are a must, sometimes snowshoes will be required.

My favorite day hike in the area is Mills Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park, but that's not dog friendly.  Another favorite in the park is Emerald Lake but, again, not dog friendly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Lothbrok,
Can dogs be on leash in the park and be fine, or do they have to stay in the car?  

Castlewood requires a leash.  It should be dry ground there.
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/CastlewoodCanyon
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lothbrok,
Can dogs be on leash in the park and be fine, or do they have to stay in the car?  

Castlewood requires a leash.  It should be dry ground there.
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/CastlewoodCanyon
View Quote

No dogs in the park other than in parking lot areas.  No dogs on trails at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
We decided to stick close to home this weekend.  We hit Walker Ranch Loop today and we're going up to Bear Peak tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
You may have noticed that it is still snowing. I wouldn't go backpacking right now unless you are prepared to deal with a blizzard.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may have noticed that it is still snowing. I wouldn't go backpacking right now unless you are prepared to deal with a blizzard.
View Quote
Good call...

I'm up on peak to peak highway outside of blackhawk. Lots of snowpack still above 8500ft.

They are calling for rain all week, but 8-12 inches of snow on Saturday night in my AO(I live at 8500)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top